Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: British & Commonwealth Shipping Company

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: British & Commonwealth Shipping Company

As a cadet with the company I can say I'll pay was always on time I'm pretty sure it went in the last Thursday of every calendar month and never had a query with the pay all the time I was with them from the mid 1960s to the early 1970s. Expenses for travel on the occasions that we didn't have a rail warrant and the fact that they paid for all the course books through the expenses system that could take forever to get paid back. The wages we're not good as a junior engineer here I left on I think just over £1,100 a year here in 1972 and joined golf oil on £2,200 a year. I must admit though that be and see see where and much more
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    As a cadet with the company I can say I'll pay was always on time I'm pretty sure it went in the last Thursday of every calendar month and never had a query with the pay all the time I was with them from the mid 1960s to the early 1970s. Expenses for travel on the occasions that we didn't have a rail warrant and the fact that they paid for all the course books through the expenses system that could take forever to get paid back. The wages we're not good as a junior engineer here I left on I think just over £1,100 a year here in 1972 and joined golf oil on £2,200 a year. I must admit though that be and see see where and much more
    Aye Rob, I was a year or so in front of you, so maybe the lads in my year got them sorted ha ha!
    I am sure they also likened that student accommodation (Winterbottom Hall was it?)to a concentration camp run by a sadist.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Winterbottom Hall was run where are retired ex army major called maija Evans. I always found that it was quite fair but they had silly things like a 10 perfume regardless of your age. The food was ok but when it came to the second year most of us moving to digs for that and the third year. Some of the first year cadets we're only just 17 so I can see the reason behind some of the regulations but they were a bit ridiculous in places full stop one of the college lecturers lived on the premises also I believe his name with a Mr curry who had two rooms and bedroom and a day room he never lost his door so you could nip out or in through the day room window across the flat roof if above the the day room and kitchen area then drop down at the end onto a grass bank. I don't think anybody ever got caught there was also an on-site matron who I can actually remember very little about. Expenses used to be a bit of a difficulty as I said before because you had to get the superintendent to sign them and that was easier said than done the b&c superintendent was WK Mabbet universally known has Joe full stop on the ground you could never remember your name and used to refer to everybody has Joe I believe one of his daughters married a junior engineer who was the next company cadet. The only person I remember him setting was his nephew whose name escapes me
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Terry, I was on £6 a month when the Peggy was on £5 a week, and after 3.5 years I finished on £12 a month all with no overtime payments, but plenty worked. Even as a 3/m and even 2/m an AB could earn a lot more than me. My father even years earlier gave up being a 3/m and 2/m and went as bosun because he could earn more and had a family to support. The grass wasn't always greener because you wore a uniform, but I did what I did because I enjoyed it and unless you sail on the bad ships you never would appreciate the good ones.

Decades later when I had my own company unless I made a profit I couldn't pay my employees, I feel sure they had no objection to me making a profit as they were well paid and looked after, alas I never became rich but I sure worked longer hours than they did, but that's business and none of them worked until they were 73 years old, and that was a long time ago, but again I enjoyed it.
    Hi Ivan.
    John S sent me this for you. 1st year 75pounds,2year 90 third 105, fourth 120. No paid leave, no Sundays at sea, 5pounds on completion, later 25pounds
    Cheers Des

7. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Ivan.
    John S sent me this for you. 1st year 75pounds,2year 90 third 105, fourth 120. No paid leave, no Sundays at sea, 5pounds on completion, later 25pounds
    Cheers Des
    Thanks Des, thank John for me, hope he is well, in addition to these generous payments and conditions we had to buy our own uniforms, (blues and whites) our own study books (not cheap) I had to borrow £400 from the Missions to seamen to buy all uniforms demanded by the Company, (the only thing they supplied was brass buttons and cap badge) as you can see from the pay rates that took care of 4 years pay, took me 6 years to pay it back, never borrowed a penny since from anyone (apart from a mortgage), but I shall forever remain grateful to the mission for their help and trust in me to pay it back. Have never regretted any of it, going to sea breeds into you a sense of responsibility towards others, even those you didn't like too much, if they were in trouble you'd still contribute towards the tarpaulin muster to help them out. and how many times have we gone to help other ships full of strangers

Tell John I've graduated from the rag bag

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3