Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Seamens Mission.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seamens Mission.

I called into the Seamens Mission for a couple of beers yesterday at least I thought that I was in the mission until I looked out of the window and seen the artwork on the minibus's it is now Liverpool Seafarers Centre.Since 1856 it was known as The Mersey Mission To Seamen and about 15 years ago it merged with the Stella Maris after both the Liverpool branches of Stella Maris closed their doors.I wonder is it that it is not PC to use the word "Mission" anymore maybe because of it's religious connotations.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Gulliver Guest

Default Re: Seamens Mission.

Probably Jim,although the word mission is a rather old-fashioned word I suppose,and younger foreign seafarers now would have no idea what a 'mission' is,whereas they'd probably understand instantly 'seafarers centre'.

To us though,it'll always be the 'mish'.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Canning Place Liverpool Seaman's Home, used it regular when coming up to Liverpool from Wolverhampton after leave had finished. Mankey old place, bit sad to see the old old retired seaman hanging round waiting on meals, trying to cadge a drink from you. Any one remember the seaman's outfitters on the corner, about the only place you could cash an advance note.
    Run by a faggen like gent, long black coat and fingerless gloves, summer and winter.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Foreign seamen still being ripped off and going through hard times.I was told in the mission yesterday of a ship the Doris T that was tied up in Ellesmere Port for months,just recently,the crew hadn't been paid,they didn't have any food or money to buy it.The mission on a Friday night used the missions debit card to go to the supermarket and buy food for them,also pick them up in the minibus and give them fish and chipe pizzas etc.The people from the mission went aboard,no electric so they were all sitting there freezing fully dressed and blankets wrapped around them.One chap was seen heating a pan of water with a blow torch.I think one crowd eventually got some money and went home only tobe replaced by Poles and various other people,i wonder did they get paid.The ship was condemned and a few cement patches were applied and she was towed away to someplace.So in one respect I suppose it could still be called a mission,the still have the Chappliancy.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    This is how a modern day mission looks,notice all the computers.

Our Mission | Liverpool Seafarers Centre
    Last edited by Jim Brady; 20th June 2016 at 10:04 AM.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim B
    Todays modern Seafarers centres, as you say, do great work and despite all recent legislation regarding pay and conditions there are still enough rogue shipowners around who exploit their crews to an extent that slavery would probably best describe their working conditions.
    The reason for the number of computers is that by using Facebook or other similar computer programs you can actually make free mobile phone calls to virtually anywhere in the world so long as the recipient has a facebook account.
    rgds
    JA

6. Thanks Red Lead Ted, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady, Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John I know a few years ago they charged £1.00 per hour but I don't think that they were strict on the time.I don't know what it is now,I know at one time there used tobe a queue for the phone to ring home now you see them buying phone cards.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Canning Place Liverpool Seaman's Home, used it regular when coming up to Liverpool from Wolverhampton after leave had finished. Mankey old place, bit sad to see the old old retired seaman hanging round waiting on meals, trying to cadge a drink from you. Any one remember the seaman's outfitters on the corner, about the only place you could cash an advance note.
    Run by a faggen like gent, long black coat and fingerless gloves, summer and winter. Bob Petty

Hi Bob,
    I have hung about outside the old Sailors Home in Canning Place asking for "a Tanner for a cup of tea Lah." when I was out of work after the Seamens Strike in 1960. Never got any. but it helped to pass the time of day.
    The Outfitter who cracked the Advance Notes was Whitfield. at two shillings in the pound. It was Rumoured that he was the only man who was licenced to carry a gun in Liverpool those days. Today you do not need a licence.
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After a divorce in my 20's I stayed in missions around the country, my favourite was Salford, when the bar had closed the priest played the one arm bandits trying to win the jackpot. In the morning the steward came to collect the glasses and clean up before opening time, there was a long line of seamen waiting for him to get a livener. Some of the most interesting and funny characters could be found in missions, we will not see men like this again. I have often thought what happened to them when the Merchant Navy died the ship and the mission was their home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the Doris T notice it's schedule is Ellesmere Port from the 15th Feb to 12th June,so she was here quite some time.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels...MMSI-720941000

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Jim Brady; 20th June 2016 at 12:28 PM.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

11. Thanks Captain Kong, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Charlie Hannah liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim, the Doris T was towed out of the Mersey dead ship, by the tug MTS Valour, their destination MAAS Pilot, Rotterdam, on Saturday last, 18th June 2016. According to AIS tracking she is currently off Lands End heading into the Channel towards Rotterdam. Information is sparse as to her future, but rumor has it she is to be scrapped but this has not been confirmed.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

13. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast