Thread: I sailed with

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default I sailed with

Last night after being informed that a former sea going colleague had passed away, it made me reflect on my nearly fourteen years at sea in the 70’s and 80’s and those who “I sailed with”, for many people this term will not mean allot, but for those of us who were a part of the Merchant Navy, in what I call the “Golden Age”, before the excessive regulation that has turned going to sea from a “vocation” to “a job”, it means allot, at that time there was no internet, mobile phones, instant communication, DVD’s, our communication with the world was through letters and at odd time via telephone, through the Radio Officer, we were on the ship sometime with groups of people who were vastly different in customs, culture and outlook on life and that was just the Scottish, for months on end, our entertainment was made on board, we went ashore together for more that a few beers at times, in different locations throughout the world, this brought a sense of comradeship and closeness which few people ever enjoy when “at work”, but it was not work for many of us, it was fun with periods of hard work and long hours included, never in my time did I change my company, of which I had three, for more money, I was more interested in the countries they went and the people I would meet, it was a true vocation.
    After all these years I can still see faces and remember name of those “I sailed with” , they will be forever in my thoughts and are very much missed when they “cross the bar”.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I sailed with

Nice post however just me that is,think that your
    “Golden Age”,
    was in fact the 50's to the 70's but that's each his own !
    But for the rest yes indeed!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon, many will tell you the 60's were the best years ever.
    The world was recovering from WW2, new concepts were emerging and the Merchant navy was at it's peak.
    But that is all gone now and only memories live on.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Likes Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and the good ships workhorses of the sea's and such young men working the complicated decks always one step from danger and how young we were would what we now call kids be able to do the same jobs as seamen in all departments what times what a life we were lucky the places and people we come across ship and shore? jp