Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tanker "Beechwood" 21 April 1952

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Re: Tanker "Beechwood" 21 April 1952

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    I worked for JIJ. When I was there however the Beechwood was an ore carrier. The tankers they had at that time were the Laurelwood and the Hollywood which I was on also. Plus one of the Goliath Oil Tankers of the times lying up one of the Norwegian Fiords, even built a special jetty for her, She never did a trip for JIJ, and other ships sold off to pay for this white elephant. However I must say on all the British Companies I was with JIJ was the best of the bunch, others might disagree but I found them trust worthy and honest. Cheers JS
    Joined the MN and JIJ early 70's, first ship was the MV Laurelwood in Sunderland for guarantee dry-docking, 1st trip as 5th eng was 13mth mainly spent in South Pacific on a Mobil charter, fabulous! Tahiti, Fiji, Guam, Saipan Aussie & NZ and many other great places.
    2nd Vessel was the MV Cherrywood Ore carrier, also good but definately showing age, runs ashore in Vitoria Brazil were memorable. Murmansk in winter wasn't so good!!!

Joined Mobil Oil tankers and rejoined 'Laurelwood' coincidently now known as MV Saucon or was it 'MV Shabonee;? anyway both built in Sunderland with 'J' type Doxford's and were sister ships. Luckily more time in Pacific

Have to say I loved MN, moved into Offshore Oil industry which I enjoyed also but still hankered for Merchant Navy, certainly the best time of my life, miss it terribly.

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Bill Morrison, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tanker "Beechwood" 21 April 1952

Was it Captain Dunbavin?

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was for a house, none of his children went to finishing school.

6. Likes j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#23 maybe he was just day dreaming of the future then Sandra and his plans never came to fruition. Seamen were always looking ahead , I was always ahead of myself and on the next ship before I ever knew what it was. As for James Moore post did he know your father?
    I was also on the ships he names in Jacob’s about the same time but whether knew or not the name doesn’t ring a bell , however if he mentions the names of the masters it might. For example the Laurelwood had a Chinese crew and was on the NZ coast for a time when your father was master there. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th January 2024 at 10:05 PM.
    R575129

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3