Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tall ships, Blyth, Antartica

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tall ships, Blyth, Antartica

How are the above related?
    I was watching our local BBC news program last night and this came up.
    The tall ships will be visiting Blyth in Northumberland next year and to commerate the event the lottery heritage fund has granted a charity money to build a replica of the ship that a Captain Smith of Blyth sailed on a voyage of discovery to the southern oceans. He was one of the first Captains to use longitude with the newly invented chronometer to navigate and returned three times to the places in Antartica that he discovered.
    Blyth tall ship hopes to set sail in the wake of a 200-year-old local hero - Chronicle Live
    William Smith (mariner) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rgds
    JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tall ships, Blyth, Antartica

Blyth must of sometime been a port for such ships. My family history is between the two places Blyth and Cullercoats. I was told as a youngster that my maternal great grandfather was a Windjammer master from Blyth. Never followed up on that part of the family only on the paternal side who were mostly fishermen. Never really had much to do with Blyth apart from passing through occassionly by car. Quite a bit with Shields N and S and further up the river. One of my first girlfriends was from Blaydon. Re the Blyth connection my Grandmothers name before marriage was Chandler as in ship chandler. So assume my G.Grandfather was named also. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi JS. Have you got this.?

William Sabourn.....Ruth Chandler. Qrt. Apr-May-Jun. 1902. Reg District. Tynemouth. County Northumberland. Vol.10b. Page.330.

1901 Census.
    John Chandler. 45
    Ruth Chandler (nee Cooper) 44.
    Ruth Chandler. 17.
    Dora Chandler. 14.
    Thomas Chandler. 11.
    Maggie Chandler. 9.
    Willie Chandler. 2.
    Ann Cooper. (Ruths mother) 84.

F.

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember about four months after the sinking of the Pamir, we passed the Passat tied up downstream of Hamburg. The skipper told me to dip the courtesy flag as we passed her, but no acknowledgement. Next day we found out she had just recently been decommissioned. Almost opposite was the old Empress of Scotland, in the process of being transformed into the Hanseatic. I believe Passat is still seaworthy?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3... Ruth Chandler was my grandmother. William Sabourn my Grandfather. So would of been Ruth Sabourn ( nee Chandler) Father. Cheers John William Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. Yesteryears Navigation... Hopefully to appear in next months Sea Breezes and written by an old shipmate of mine. I think I referred in a previous post to a Capt. Lamb coming from Wales, this was incorrect I misread, he was from Tyneside. Captain Lamb served his apprenticeship in sail and mentioned such ships as the "Kilmallie", "Monkbarns", and "William Mitchell", all of which were owned by John Stewart and Company of London. The "William Mitchell" was the last commercial, foreign going sailing vessel of any size registered in the UK. She was full rigged throughout her life and was never reduced to Barque rig as was so many of her contempories during the early years of the last century. The history of John Stewart and Company is covered in Capt. A.G.Courses fairly well known book " The Wheel"s Kick and the Winds Song". A piece of light hearted humour from the insert of this offering to Sea Breezes I quote as believe I sailed with the same master and found the same. Same master used to come on Bridge every Sunday morning to take sights with the 2 and 3 mates. " Just to keep me hand in" was his saying. One particular sunday noon the 2 and 3 mates were discussing the ships latitude and then aquainted the master with the result, who was standing close by with his sight book close to his chest. The third mate turned to him and politely asked what did you get Sir, his reply was always the same "I'm right between the pairs of yous" he would say in his broad Wexford brogue. " Right between the pairs of you I am". One lunch time he was in a hurry to get down to his pea soup and ham and unintentionally left his sight book on the Bridge. The temptation to have a look was too strong. So they did, only to be confronted with a book of blank pages. Needless to say we did not let on to our popular commander, and so carried on as always. End of, I hope Sea breezes is as popular as it once was, however has to be ordered specially in WA and never got around to doing. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st April 2015 at 04:56 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed with Two Masters who had sailed on the Monkbarns as apprentices.
    Captain Fitzgerald of the GEORGIC and Captain Brown of the Shell tanker AURIS.
    Both very good to sail with.
    I was shanghaied on a topsail schooner in Curacao, waking up at sea after drinking with the dagos. six weeks later I returned and Captain Brown let me off and we shared a case of ale as I had to tell him of my experience.
    Cheers
    Brian

10. Likes j.sabourn, N/A, judith george liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. Cullercoats and Whitley Bay. The Church in Tynemouth at the front of and readable from the street is a long list of those lost in the Great War and is one of my namesakes J.W.Sabourn. Going to the Cenotaph in Whitley Bay on the list of names there is again a J.W.Sabourn this is from the second world war and is one of my Uncles buried now in Singapore at the Military Graveyard. So my namesakes Uncle and Great Uncle are displayed for a general public, who nowadays have no particular idea the meaning of what war brings with it, certainly not the younger generation unless they are serving servicemen, who if have been in a war zone will remember for the rest of their lives. The society of today is hell bent on bettering their own individual life styles to the highest level, and this is what is considered success. I think we should all put ourselves up for political position, would maybe make all those with that desire null and void. Ref. the one lost in Singapore his son living in the UK was looking for info. another cousin stayed with us in 2004 on his and his wifes transit back to the UK after working as a lecturer for 20 years at the Nautical College in Launceston Tas. He was trying to get information about the same Uncle to be able to give to our other cousin so he knew if his father had a grave or not. The old British War Office had no such information. However he managed to get all the information he was seeking from the war graves in Canberra. There must be literally tens of thousands of service men with no such records of there having been on this Earth. I always admire those on this site who take the trouble and time to put a lot of familys in touch with their familys who they are wanting to know about. They do a great job. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st April 2015 at 08:34 AM.

12. Thanks judith george thanked for this post
    Likes Frederick Lacey, N/A, judith george liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whitley bay, as a young lad on holiday in Sunderland we would often be taken there for a day out.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, N/A, judith george liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast