Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HMAS Anzac (Moved to its own place )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default HMAS Anzac (Moved to its own place )

Sort of on this subject one of our best Friends Daughter is in the RAN only been there for about 9 Months now,but already she has struck luck with the Ship she was consigned to "HMAS ANZAC" due to depart on her Tour of Duty in Mid March this Year,and they will be calling at Gallipoli on the day to celebrate the occasion!
    They call at quite a few Ports along their Tour of Duty,one being Cape Town ,of which she is very excited about,who can blame her! Other ports are Diego Carcia,Crete,Istanbul,Portsmouth,Breast ,Spain,Morocco,Cape Town,Mauritius,Perth then back home to Sydney.
    What a lovely trip for a Young Lady!

I will be going down to Potts Point Woolloomooloo to see her off on the day,there will no doubt be a large crowd to see them all off!
    Cheers

Hope to get some Pics on the day too!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 16th July 2015 at 07:55 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gallipoli Tribute

Just a wee bit more to add to my last Post #9 on here!
    Went down to Potts Point (Wooloomooloo ) RAN Naval Base on Sunday to go and see a friend of our Friends Daughter who is also in the RAN!
    She is a very nice young Lady and as all Crew is very fit and active!
    Poor me (old Man) was lagging behind trying to keep up with going on a tour of her ship (HAMS Tobruk) L50 Heavy Landing Ship and one of the older ones still in operation!
    All those Steel Gangways and so steep,i am sure they were a lot steeper than what I recall on the old Passenger Ships!
    Anyway had a great tour with her,and she showed me all parts of the Ship,including her place of work which is almost right next to the Captains Chair on the Bridge!

This coming Sunday the 15th I am again going down there to see our Friends Daughter off on her Tour ,which I have detailed in my last post!
    Her Mother and Sister are Flying down from Melbourne as well to see her off,i dare say there will be a large crowd to say their farewells!
    Will post more Pics after the farewell visit! Cannot of course go aboard this time.a it just a farewell and then they are off at 2.30pm Lucky young Lady!
    Cheers

DSCN0695.jpg

DSCN0698.jpg

DSCN0705.jpg

DSCN0702.jpg

DSCN0712.jpg
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 9th March 2015 at 11:41 PM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

R697530

5. Thanks Lou Barron thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HMAS_Tobruk_(L_50).jpg HMAS Tobruk

HMAS_Canberra_(LHD_02)_at_berth_prior_to_commissioning.jpg HMAS Canberra (rather large )

DSCN0696.jpg HMAS Anzac (This one going on tour to Gallipoli for the 100Year tribute,then on to other Ports)
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 26th April 2015 at 03:12 PM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well as I had mentioned earlier I again went down to Wooloomooloo to go and say farewell to our good Friends Daughter (Courtney) who is on the HMAS Anzac.
    Got there nice and early but the gates only opened at 12 noon for the Public to enter
    However once in we soon met up with Courtney and she was so excited about this trip,this being her first real long trip out to Sea!
    We were all allowed on board for about an Hour or so,with Courtney being able to show us all around the Ship it was to say the least very informative on her part,showing all the various things that are done and especially her duties etc!
    These Young Personnel are doing Australia very proud and this is a once in a lifetime experience for them,oh did they all look so neat and tidy in their White Uniforms and you could see the proudness in them all!
    The Ship supplied us with Snacks and Coffee Tea etc,so it was quite a large affair!
    One we had seen most of it all the Siren went and we were all told that it was time to go ashore!
    Courtney and of course all the other Personnel also came ashore with us to say their last farewells!
    That was an emotional time for all concerned and Tears were flowing freely!
    They will be away for a period of Five Months,off to Gallipoli first for the 100 Year Tribute there with some twelve other Ships from other Nations!
    They then set sail for various ports of which I have already mentioned in my previous posts!

So that was that,i left rather a bit teary on my ownas Courtney and her Sister Tammy are like second Daughters to me,with unfortunately their Father not wanting anything to do with them! How very very sad! I can see in his later Years that he will at some stage be looking at trying to make amends but I am afraid it will then be too late! Oh well enough said.

Attached are a few Pics I took and I am in the process of uploading a Video taken by the SBS Team at the Venue,our small group was lucky to be in it,although a very quick and short bit!
    Cheers

DSCN0724.jpg Courtney with Me

DSCN0725.jpg Courtney with her Mum and Sister Tammy

DSCN0741.jpg In the Mess having a chat and some snacks

DSCN0742.jpg Tammy with her Sisters Cap LOL

DSCN0727.jpg Helicopter on Flight Deck

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DSCN0718.jpg Courtney towards us she is like a Daughter to me!

DSCN0720.jpg Courtney with her Sister Tammy and two Friends

DSCN0734.jpg Very small and crowded quarters there are fifteen who share this Cabin! Ouch!! How do the Girls manage!

DSCN0737.jpg Me and Courtney's Mum Linda a very nice Lady too!

DSCN0732.jpg Doing the tour!

That's it for now Lads! Thank you for looking in!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 16th July 2015 at 07:56 PM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just the Video
    Cheers

https://youtu.be/2UZ8XeGElwY

Takes a wee bit of time to start! Keep watching!
    You will hear me as they show our group! Very short pity!

Private Video but see my last post too! Thanks
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th August 2015 at 10:05 PM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc you look and sound so proud standing there with Courtney as for her father its his loss she probable thinks your more of a Dad to her than he ever could be any man can be a father but it takes a special one to be a Dad

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: HMAS Anzac (Moved to its own place )

Doc
    You must be really proud of the work that your Courtney is doing.
    Will she be able to post to you as she travels around the world?
    Any person, male or female, who choses to join the Armed Forces of their country deserves to be treated with the utmost respect.
    We have just had our Afghanistan remembrance service here as posted in another thread, to remember all those that gave their lives in that conflict, the majority of them being only around 20 years of age.
    When you see people like your Courtney and watch things like that remembrance service you realise that, although we may decry them at times, the youth of today in the main, are prepared to put their lives on the line to defend their country.
    rgds
    JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: HMAS Anzac (Moved to its own place )

Hello JA
    I like the way you say (your Courtney) sounds good to me! Although she is not my Daughter as said I treat and think of her as such!
    I am hoping that they will be allowed to write to their Families JA ,they have their own Computer Room on board with quite a few Desktops there!
    So I am sure they will be able to keep communication with us here!

Yes I am proud of the path she has chosen to go,and I really think that it is a good thing for any Young Lady or Man to take up.looking back on my Life I as you know was also in the Forces and only regret that I did not make the most of it then!

I sincerely hope that Courtney will just go from strength to strength as I am sure she will as she is a very dertermined young Lady!

Her dear Mother is going to miss her,but that is the life of the Forces and one must get used to it!
    I too will miss her but time goes fast and soon she will be back with us all !

As said I hope that (My Courtney) will be happy in her chosen career and do her best for fast advancement!

Thank You for your kind post!
    Cheers

R697530

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast