Thread: For Hugh.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default For Hugh.

Hugh something that maybe of interest to you.As you know my brother was told that his CRS10 was missing so obtaining medals would be a long drawn out and expensive process.He took the matter up himself and was in touch with a chap at Cardiff (ext 4 he told me)this chap could not help but informed my brother that he had passed on my brothers details to some charitable organisation and they would help in obtaining his medals.I don't know the name of the Charity but they did obtain two medals for him,one being for the D.Day Landings and the other General War medal whatever that is.I can understand him getting the D.Day medal as amongst his bits and pieces which I got through your friend was a copy of his pay-off slip from the Empire Newton which he did five runs on from Southend to France maybe the charity used that and couldn't find anything else to use for the Atlantic Convoy medal.I'l see if I can find out what charity it was when I attend his funeral.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

2. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: For Hugh.

Jim I have heard in the past that the Salvation Army have assisted ex war personnel find missing relatives, friends and records. I wonder if perhaps it was them.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

4. Likes Jim Brady, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Salvation Army has an excellent record world for wide investigations, I have used them with amazing results . write to the London Office, should be on google.
    Cheers
    Brian

6. Likes Jim Brady, Chris Allman, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Jim, let me know if you find out any more info on that.
    With regard to the two medals, I feel that what the person on ext 4 said is open to ambiguity as the only organisation that can authorise the medal entitlement is the RSS in Cardiff. It may be that other organisations can get involved in the research to prove the entitlement but only Cardiff can sanction the medals on proof of the evidence of service. The France and Germany Star and the War Medal that you refer to is the very least that he is entitled to. I would also have expected that he was entitled to the 1939-1945 Star.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hugh I took it that this charity searched the records at Kew or had somebody do it for them,maybe they got the D.Day medal on the strength of the pay-off slip from the Empire Newton.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is perfectly feasible Jim - having been recently in communication with them regarding evidence of service when CRS 10 is missing they confirmed that information such as pay off slips and signatures on the Crew Agreement would be accepted as evidence. However, I still maintain he is entitled to the 1939-1945 Star and it is my own opinion that only the full medal entitlement does justice to the man and his service.
    The criteria for the 1939-1945 Star is as follows:

"Awarded for service between 3 September 1939 and 2 September 1945 and if the service period was terminated by death or disability due to service. A merchant seaman could qualify after 6 months' service with at least one voyage in an operational area. The 1939-1945 Star was also awarded to recipients of a gallantry medal, with no minimum qualifying period."

I think it is safe to say that your brother met that criteria.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

10. Thanks Jim Brady thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    Hugh something that maybe of interest to you.As you know my brother was told that his CRS10 was missing so obtaining medals would be a long drawn out and expensive process.He took the matter up himself and was in touch with a chap at Cardiff (ext 4 he told me)this chap could not help but informed my brother that he had passed on my brothers details to some charitable organisation and they would help in obtaining his medals.I don't know the name of the Charity but they did obtain two medals for him,one being for the D.Day Landings and the other General War medal whatever that is.I can understand him getting the D.Day medal as amongst his bits and pieces which I got through your friend was a copy of his pay-off slip from the Empire Newton which he did five runs on from Southend to France maybe the charity used that and couldn't find anything else to use for the Atlantic Convoy medal.I'l see if I can find out what charity it was when I attend his funeral.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    Jim, You are no millionaire mate, And given the circumstances your brother deserves every recognition he earned in his life. Have a word with John, Next time you have a pint in the mission up the road from us, There is a fund for Veterans and a lot more than ex seaman realise. Good luck with it Terry.

Shipwrecked Mariners' Society*(Shipwrecked Fishermen and Mariners' Royal Benevolent Society)
    {terry scouse}

12. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Jim Brady, Hugh thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hugh, Jim, My Dad was on Empire Newton. As I understand it, she made her first trip to Juno or Sword arriving on May 7, 1994, but the UK port concerned was London Millwall dock; I have the papers from the National Archive which say something like "special mission" or similar, recalling Dad from Hull to London. Dad said he saw one of the first V-1s go over Millwall dock on about June 15. Empire Newton's codename was MT57, or "Empty Beanz" to the crew.

14. Likes Jim Brady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi William,I think you will find that all of the ships mustered at Southend.My brother did five trips to France the dates are on here somewhere maybe your father was there at the same time as my brother.Re-check your date I see you have put 1994.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

16. Thanks William Bramhill thanked for this post