Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Any members of the crew of queen mary>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Any members of the crew of queen mary>

#29... Realize that Brian. Thought by opening post that someone was looking for ex. long time passengers/crew of for historic or advertising reasons. Have sent you an email re his contact numbers in case that was the case. I see the 3 Queens are due at the same time in Sydney sometime in the not too distant future, and will be in port all at same time. Cheers John S

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Queen Mary.... Ref. my post on the Q.M. and knowing someone who was on her. I have been in touch him via the phone and he didn't know it was coming up to her 80th. birthday. He perked up as soon as I mentioned ships, however he isn't travelling too well at the moment. His wife says he is in a photograph as a bellboy with the captain in a book " Captains of the Queens". Reeled off a few names of various masters of such but believe he was with a Capt. Ingworth in the photo. His time with Stateships if anyone knew him out here was on most of them, but his wife says he and she vividly remember one called the Poseidon, which was renamed, as they went to see the movie and had to leave the cinema half way through. The similar thing happened to me and the wife as went to see also in the uk, and as she was staying on board she couldn't sleep either. If there is anyone from Cunard still looking for people of that byegone era, I am sure he would be only too pleased to talk about. Cheers John S
    John.
    Have the Book at hand. Captain of the Queen. Primarily re. the Q.E.2 Capt. Bob Arnott
    The Photo re. The Capt's Table,though .Is aboard the Cunard Adventurer,during a 1974 Caribbean Cruise.
    Distinguishing feature of the Waiter in the background ,is long Black sideboards. But like mine ,are probably grey now.
    best regards to he and His Wife.
    Cheers!

Have the book at Hand

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Capt. Bob Arnott lives in Fleetwood with his sister. tho` I am not too sure now if he is still with us. Must be getting on a bit by now.
    I used the same Taylor as him. but it has since closed down. must check in the phone book when I go again to see if he is still in it.
    Cheers
    Brian
    .; Hi John
    The three Queens are all going to be in Liverpool together in May 2015 for the Cunard celebrations.
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 23rd November 2014 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#32... Thanks Evan although doubt that is him. I would imagine he was out here in Stateships by the date you mention. His wife says his photo as a bellboy was in a Book called The Captains of the Queens which must also have been an earlier edition and was referring back I believe to the 40"s. If she phones back or I receive any info. will pass on. Hard to imagine him with long black sideburns, but you never know. Have to catch him at the right time as he has good days and bad days. However as said when mentioned the Queen Mary he perked up and reeled a string of captains during his time there. Re the QE2 when he was well he never mentioned, so doubt he was on her but will try and find out. His wife also mentioned a nephew they have in the uk who is either a writer or editor for a nautical publication which am also trying to find out, think they still keep in touch with him so any info. hopefully will reach them before any efforts of myself. Cheers and thanks once again John S.

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. the previous post in 1969 or thereabouts was working for an Indian Company and the Chief Engineer from the uk mentioned a hotel he used to go to at Christmas and advised me to do so if looking for a break. One of the masters of the Queens had written a book called I captained the Big ships, the chief reckoned he used to get there as well as a few minor celebrities trying for peace and solitude. One time I was home we were touring the UK and was in the vicinity of this hotel so decided to have a break for a couple of days. Must say though I saw no celebrities. The Hotel was the Marion Spout on the Yorkshire Moors. Not named after marian on site. The only thing of note that I noticed was a Parrot in the reception area which was known to come out with obscene nautical phrases, and the accommodation was real old worldly at the time. Think the kids were bored stiff apart from the parrot. Cheers John S.

9. Likes N/A, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems the lines are crossed,John.
    The photo of Capt's Table ,is aboard the Cunard Adventurer.Unless ,as you say .there was another publication of a similar name.

re .Bell Boy's.The rag Daily Mirror ,about 1947 or so.did a article on aspirations of young male school-leavers ,from the Southampton Area.Top one ,was to be a Bell Boy on the Mary or Lizzie.
    With good reason, as it turns out.
    We had a Lift Boy in 1956.Whom just previous to arrival N.Y. was dashed $500 U.S. by a matronly admirer.whilst descending.
    So that's a good saying. "Always be nice to the people, you meet on your way -Up. as you may meet them ,on your way- Down"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi ,

My father in law Daniel Kerr was a steward on the QM from '52 until her final voyage.

Are there any celebrations planned for the anniversary of her final voyage? He has loads of stories he shares with us and would love to meet up with any old comrades from the stewards. he's 86, so hopefully he can do that in the near future

13. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I am looking for former stewards who we can contact on behalf of my father in law, Daniel Kerr. He sailed on the QM as a steward from '52 until the final voyage. He's 86 now, would love to be able to connect him with some comrades before he is too old to meet them.

15. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4