Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Any members of the crew of queen mary>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Any members of the crew of queen mary>

Junior Assistant Purser Queen Mary 1966/7 also served on Carmania.

2. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,

I joined Queen Mary in Southampton in December 1962 as a Fireman. This photograph is not very edifying but shows me aged 20 in the vicinity of the funnel. I have three more of a similar nature if you require them. I visited the Queen Mary twice in Longbeach in 1984 and 1996. I enjoyed seeing her again but was sadden by what I can only describe as an umbilical cord which tied her to the land. Having sailed on the Queen Elizabeth when the Queen Mary came over the horizon in mid Atlantic, ships horns blaring away, I felt a deep sadness in the pit of my stomach, that all that power, speed pride and majesty had been cruelly shackled to the land. Also on the guided tour I was mortified to see the space left after the boilers had been removed, what I can only describe as her vitals torn out, compounded the sadness I felt. On the plus she is still with us, however emasculated she is which unfortunately cannot be said for the Queen Elizabeth.

Kind regards

Roy

QM scan0018.jpg
    Last edited by Roy Dadge; 12th November 2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: to correct small i

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Roy at least she is still with us, for which we have to thank the Americans, our own government has no sense of history and sees no value in preserving our maritime history for future generations. The Queen may not be all there, but at least she is being preserved for future generations to see what a real ship looked like and also the imaganery umbilical cord that tied our two nations together in dark years

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc. #5 i will get a copy of QM menu to you when i find it, we have just moved and all is in a turmoil at the moment.
    keith moody
    R635978

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed with Cunard from 1958 to 1972 mostly as PCS on smaller ships but worked by QM in Southampton several times, I was on Sylvania and called in at Cobh on homeward trip and sir Basil Smallpiece came aboard there to inform passengersand crew that Cunard had regretfully decided to sell Queen Mary. Going home on leave I said to my wife we must sail on her before she goes and consquently got a company trip to NY and back just before her final voyage. It was fantastic and my wife still talks about it as an experience of a lifetime
    Stuart (George )Henderson
    R396040

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first recollection of seeing the Queen Mary Was at age six or seven. in a Birmingham cinema. Around 1937 -38

Featuring,the extremely popular,Gracie Fields. She is seen leaving Southampton. Singing the song made famous via the Film. "Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye" . Bit young then to comprehend the issues ,relating to the story.
    Though in latter years,some knowledge regarding those issues ,have become clearer.

The insistence and incessant efforts of a Glasgow M.P During the great Depression.To get the Clydebank Shipyards ,up and running ,again.Thus enabling work to be restarted,On the Queen Mary.Which had been quietly rusting away ,on the Stocks. That project, In effect ,created many hundreds of jobs immediately. The beginning ,of the end , of the Depression!

"Our Gracie"is on a Mission to Bolster the awareness. That ,Great Britain's "Back in Business"

Hence the Film!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by keith moody View Post
    Doc. #5 i will get a copy of QM menu to you when i find it, we have just moved and all is in a turmoil at the moment.
    keith moody
    R635978
    Thank you Keith M
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not quite the same as the above poster but I got married aboard her on Oct 14th 2012! Spend our 2nd anniversary aboard this year. They were running a video loop on on of the TV channels of her history, life and news stories.

Sadly she could use some $$$ spent on preservation but still an impressive ship.

Saw one of the new super cruise ships (floating hotel/shopping centre) at the cruise terminal astern of her a couple of weeks back - about 4 times her size!

SDG

11. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All.
    I suppose I have the honour of being aboard the Queen Mary if only for a few hours, long enough for me and my mate sent down from Swansea to join her, to view the accommodation
    then take the next train back, no way hosay.
    Evan. in the Book The Perfect Storm there is piece about the Queen Mary getting hit by a hundred foot wave off Sable Island which smashed her wheelhouse windows in. I was in the same storm in an old rust bucket.
    Cheers Des

redc.gif

13. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Roy
    The Boilers were removed because of all the Asbestos that was in there, and was considered a great health problem.
    The Engine room is still good.
    I have been a regular visitor on her for a few years now and always enjoy staying on her.
    Well worth a visit and stay, best hotel in the world.
    Cheers
    Brian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast