Thread: Foreign Flag Wages.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Foreign Flag Wages.

Just had a pint and a good chat with a seaman from Ghana he is on a ship here and called in at my local.I wrote a long story before about an interesting conversation that I had with him but it vanished off the screen,I dont fancy writing it again so briefly I'l just mention the wages.We talk about 3rd world wages and the reason why we lost our jobs,he tells me that as bo'sun he is paid US$3.500 pm thats over £500 pw I reckon, I bet there's a few lads out of work that would be glad of that with everything found.Imagine how well off his family must be in Ghana.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Foreign Flag Wages.

Certainly not anything to snub ones nose at is it Jim
    That sounds like a really good wage and as you say his Family must be thrilled!
    Actually with that wage and all found I could easily go back to Sea ,would let me have a wee bit of time alone again ~LOL! Shhhhhh!! Don't say naught to Irene ! haha!

Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My little bit of knowledge about foreign wages is probably out of date by now. However I have worked under various flags Gibralter, Bahamas, Malaysian, Panama, Liberian, Cayman Islands, and a few more that cant recollect at moment. The flag means nothing as regards wages. I can quote 1970 Where the Chinese were on 28 pounds a month, and philipinos on 27 pounds a month. These were not official wages, as most foreign flags made wages according to nationality. This universal maritime standard as said before was never fortuanate enough to come across. JS

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. to previous ... and more recent the Russian wages which bear no similiarity to any I know and of a much later era viz 2001 must be the lowest ever at the time. Am talking about the officers wages which I knew they were getting as told me, the highest was the master on 40 odd pound a month and the mates in the 30s. One of the mates, his wife was a Doctor ashore and he was on more than her. Most came from the Ukraine, but all considered themselves Russian. They were not disallusioned with their lot, only that the likes of Singapore was way cost wise above their heads, whether they got some sort of remuneration whilst abroad dont know. The ship was manned crew wise the old way we were all used to in the 50,60, and part of the 70s. Cheers John S

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wages now are about what the employer can get away with, school teachers in Cambodia on $70 per month! Supply and demand are the key to any wage negotiation and a good negotiator may do well. But for the man from Ghana, like the Philipinos, it sounds like a very good deal.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Jim Brady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats about nearly 50,000 Aust. dollars a year. Whilst not in keeping with Australian wages for seamen, is way above what a British AB would get, if there is such a wage scale for same nowadays. 16 years ago A russian Chief Engineer on a Malaysian flag ship I was on was getting 2000 US dollars a month, whilst a Polish 2nd. Engineer on a sister ship was on 2500 US dollars a month. When the Chief who was with me questioned it, he was told if he didnt like it he could leave. The wages were paid according to nationality. An American master on a US flag ship I was on was receiving 60.000 US dollars a year, an Australian AB on same ship was receiving 70,000 Aust. Dollars and 1 for 1 which the American didnt get. The wages that were paid appeared to me to be inconsequental to the employer, the only thing they were wary of was not wanting to spoil anyone. Wages I dont think, although it was used as one of the facts for the loss of the British fleet was not the over riding factor, was an excuse to get rid of the British MN. My term of 3 months on the Malaysian ship was a private agreement with myself and the owner, when my time was up they asked me if I knew anyone in Australia or UK who I could get to relieve me, I told them the people I knew were all employed and why couldnt they get a philipino as there were plenty around or even one of their own country people, and the reply was that they did not consider such to have the same skills and authority as a European. That is from the Horses mouth no matter whose feelings it hurts. In the finish with no relief forthcoming I handed over the keys to the safe and the ship so to speak to the Indonesian mate, who had the necessary pieces of paper required and went home after receiving all monies due. Would have still been sitting there now if hadnt. John S

11. Likes happy daze john in oz, cappy, N/A liked this post