Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Seamens Missions.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seamens Missions.

Although the mission is my nearest watering hole it's rarely that I use it.Tonight I decided to go and have a few pints and i did'nt feel like going far so I went to the mish the only people that were in there were Filipino from different ships.The driver of the mini bus went over to some lads and said you lads from Eastham I will be taking you back at 9 o'clock,EASTHAM I thought bleddy hell thats some distance,I spoke to the driver he said yes Eastham thats correct.That is about 25 mile from here through the Mersey Tunnel,he said we do Ellesmere Port,Garston and Runcorn (which I did'nt know ships went there)
    So what it amounts to just like our ships have gone so has the Missions this must be the only mission here in Waterloo to cover both sides of the Mersey.As a matter of interest what was the furthest anyone travelled to a Mission ??.As an aside one of the Filipino's going to Eastham said the ship was a VSCC which means Very Small Chuck Chuck,9 crew on board.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seamens Missions.

Yes as you say Jim many of the old Missions are now gone!
    They were a Godsend to us in the days though,and I know many of us spent a lot of time in some of them!
    My main one of course being the old Jelico in Southampton,where me and my late Brother would kip up for our shore leave!
    It was a nice place,the Rooms a bit small ,but that was understandable,the food was always good,recall the lovely Breakfasts there!
    Nice Pool Room too,but as it was only normally for a sleeping place,the Pool Room was not that well used!
    Never travelled too far as you know it was very close to the Port!
    Even the one in London was close enough to the KG5 Docks!
    Cheers

Copy_of_Jelicoe_Memorial_Sailors_Hostel.jpg
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 9th April 2014 at 10:40 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Alive and well: May'be not as you knew them then, have my support. Still doing sterling work. K

LINK: http://www.missiontoseafarers.org/

- - - Updated - - -

JUT ONE OF MANY:

THE MISSION TO SEAFARERS TYNE AND WEAR

Welcome to Tyne and Wear:

LINK: http://www.missiontoseafarers.org/ports/tyne-and-wear

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi shipmates, The only seamans mission. I will allways remember was on Karg island in the gulf on a B.P. tanker Watched a film called "War of The worlds" by H.G. Wells a classic ? The film was like the people in the mission seaman, from all around the world, it was very strange/odd Every time the film comes on the t,v it puts me in mind of that place and time.... If you have seen the film you would understand...

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the Amigo View Post
    Hi shipmates, The only seamans mission. I will allways remember was on Karg island in the gulf on a B.P. tanker Watched a film called "War of The worlds" by H.G. Wells a classic ? The film was like the people in the mission seaman, from all around the world, it was very strange/odd Every time the film comes on the t,v it puts me in mind of that place and time.... If you have seen the film you would understand...
    #########what year was it you were at kharg island louis .....i was there in 58 we took big steel pipes .....if it was windy or any sea running the little lighter could not manage to carry one pipe at a time .....i recall it being very warm in august......and very boring .......but the fishing was good.......we were rationed on water and the arabs were cooking dinnerson the deck ...one big pot if they got a grisley piece the just spit it into the big pot ......they were also throwing fisshing lines in the air catching the seagulls and in the pot they went.....we laid off about30 40 days ...bored to bleedin death then a long haul downto oz

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Due to personal circumstances I was homeless for about three years and stayed in Missions around the country.
    Some of the most interesting and intelligent men you could ever meet I found there.
    Unfortunately for many of the long term homeless they were addicted to the powerful drug of alcohol. As soon as I realised I was drinking too much I would go to the nearest pool and ship out.

9. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reading the post by leratty
    Not sure how many had to pay to stay at the Missions (the post states something about some were more expensive) ?? Anyway all the times that me and my late brother stayed at the Jellico,we did not have to pay at all,it was covered by the Company. UCL.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

11. Likes alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi shipmates, Hi Cappy, Checking my first book 1968 "British Commerce Kharg island in january winter time? still very hot? Loads of fish in the sea, and a few sharks, had a few beers in the mission dumpy bottles, still have a banknote note with the shah on it...

13. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

dont think there was anything in 58 itwas just as far as i know beying built but we anchoered off an d never got ashore ......lost a lot of ciggies playing poker no doubt ....all part of lifes experience regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Louis,
    That Mission in Kharg is No More.
    I was there in November / December 1978, the Ayatollahs Revolution had started.
    A few of us were having a beer in there when the Revolutionary Guards ran in, threw us all out and machine gunned the bar, smashed up everything. they herded us to about 100 yards away and then blew it up with grenades.
    We were taken on the bus back to the jetty under guard and our ship was "captured" by the Guards, they were everywhere. Loading was stopped, they shot the Iranians who worked on the Jetty and then later they took the Office Staff up in helicopters and threw them out, we could see them falling into the refinery.
    We were held for four weeks before being released to sail.
    I asked one of the Revolutionary Guards who was in the wheelhouse with me. "Why have you killed your fellow Mu slims," he replied."Because they work for American Company , they cease to be mu slims. so we can kill them". I didnt comment, I worked for American company and was not a mu slim.
    I had my tape recorder and everyday made comments on the ones killed and what I saw on my cassette.
    When I got home a couple on months later I had it in my car and I was at a friends house when my car was broken into and the cassette stolen with the radio.
    Some thieving git has destroyed a piece of history.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 10th April 2014 at 01:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast