Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: White Star Flag Flies Again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default White Star Flag Flies Again

The flag has been hoisted at the old White Star building,the work is progressing well with many bookings even before the building work is completed.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...-james-6759218
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

2. Thanks Brenda Shackleton, Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Likes Brenda Shackleton liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: White Star Flag Flies Again

Just an interesting aside.
    Did anyone see that item on BBC news yesterday about the longest flying aircraft ever built. As wifey was demanding attention did not catch it all but it seems to be a modern version of a zeppelin but uses carbon fibre and special synthetic skins for its outer. Apparentley it is so efficient it can stay airborne for weeks at a time and it is intended to be used for cargo carrying. It has been built in the huge hangers that are still there where the R101 airships were built and these are supposedly the largest industrial buildings in the U.K. The maritime link being that they are big enough to fit the TITANIC in with room to spare after her completion.
    Would have been a bit difficult though as they appear to be on high ground with no water around them so the Titanic would have needed wheels to get in (which may have been handy in avoiding icebergs LOL)
    rgds
    JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Their maximum payload is 50 tonnes, wonder what the economics of that are when transporting goods over thousands of miles. Apparently they were designed in the USA for the American military as observation platforms for enemy activities, perhaps I'm missing something here, wouldn't something so big be hard to miss by a rocket/missile fired from an enemy position. Could this be the reason why the U S military dropped it !?. An ex Pop Star, albeit a qualified pilot, stepped in and bought the rights to build it in the UK for it to be used commercially or as weather stations, but better brains than mine must have worked out how to recoup the costs of building two huge hangers, building costs of machines to transport 50 tonnes over hundreds or even thousands of miles...........hmmm!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just had a look at the later edition of the Echo unbelievable the amount of people in the queue that want to have a look around a building site,some people love to queue for anything.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    Just had a look at the later edition of the Echo unbelievable the amount of people in the queue that want to have a look around a building site,some people love to queue for anything.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    Might be queueing for memories Jim, its portals were my entrance into days of glory with PSNC ???!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    better brains than mine must have worked out how to recoup the costs of building two huge hangers, building costs of machines to transport 50 tonnes over hundreds or even thousands of miles...........hmmm!

Hangars already built Ivan: http://www.airshipsonline.com/sheds/Cardington.htm
    Don

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan there was a woman in the queue who worked for PSNC in the offices there in the 60's that I can understand.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rafferty View Post
    Yes I know Don, perhaps my composition wasn't as it should have been, missed out the word 'incurred' after 'costs' sorry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We visited no 30 James St yesterday, arrived about 10.30,my oppo was already in the massive queue and quite near the door so with an exchange of texts i sneaked alongside. We were carrying our discharge books in case of an upgrade, but no offers from the nice young man at the door who was dressed in the style of a White Star waiter. Once inside it really was a sight to see, especially the banqueting suite where the owner and developer Lawrence Kenwright outlined his plans for the future of the building. We had a chat with him later and he seems a genuine character, full of enthusiasm for his latest venture. I noticed a Blue Star house flag covering one wall and he mentioned he'd found it in a bin and decided to display it. There were 7 floors to explore but the place was so crowded it would have taken all day, plus,i could swear i heard the beer pumps in the Pen&Wig (about 300 metres away) being primed for business, so off for the real business of the day. A good day.
    gilly
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes John it looked quite uncomfortable to me looking at the pictures in the Echo and it did'nt look as though there was a great deal to see,as regards to the finished deal.A long time to queue if you were at the back end for what it was worth.I somehow thought the Pen & Wig was going to come into it as soon as you mentioned visiting James Street.As a matter of interest John what was the P&W like with all the football being on???
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast