Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1966

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1966

In 1966 when we were on strike I used to picket the Gladstone dock in Liverpool ( Bootle ) I would walk up and down with my placard planning on how to spend the £3 a week strike pay from the N.U.S.
    The cops on the dock gate were very friendly and we always had a laugh and joke with them, the one question they would ask every day was when are you going back.
    When you think of all the seamen paying off in Liverpool, from the Gladstone all the way up the dock road to the city centre, every one of them wrapping 2/6 or 4 bob in their baggage pass and slipping it to the cops.
    They must have been the highest paid policemen in the U.K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 1966

In the 50s it used to five bob or half a quid if you had a lot of gear.
    They were making more in a day than we did in a month.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What about all the tailors down at the ship selling suits to go home in. The porters at Lime Street station the tips they used to make. Everyone had a chunk off a seamans paying off cash. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Every one was after our pay, the cops at the gate, the girls, the pubs, even mum wanted some. Wonder how we survived when you think about it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Money bloody hell did we get paid as well while at sea LOL. Took me a long time once ashore to realise what money was all about.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your not wrong Les, when I came ashore life was a bit of a shock knowing there wasnt any 6months and a payoff , and the fact that there were Clothes Food and a house to pay for. I was forever looking for ways of earning more, drove Taxi,s at the weekends in Melbourne , did everything to make the extra cash. not like the sea where you could blow your sub in Ma Gleesons, or the South Pacific hotel. never mind lifes gone bye in a flash, but we cant forget the Jolly times can we, my we were so lucky realy. Glenn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my first trip P&O liners which always docked in tilbury i watched this sarang?
    go to the dock gate followed by five or six of his gang, all carrying a rolled up carpet. he said to the copper on the gate. the last one is yours. my first experience of backsheesh.
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heard when the factory ships came in to Shields from South Georgia, the women came from all over the country. Living North of the River never actually saw, maybe cappy has more info. May of been one of these women that Brian latched on to in Whitley Bay, was too crowded in Shields and she wasn't a member of the mafia. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8 the whalers really blew money in shields and its true the brasses came from all the surrounding areas......may have told this story before but my mam sent me for fish and chips in comes a whaler man lived up our st shoting im a whalerman ive done 2 and a halfyears I want ahumpy backed whale and two stone of chips and give every body in the shop fish and chips on me.........got my fish and chips for my mam..but kept the money ......felt really guilty for days......told her years later .......she wasn't surprised.....they were a breed apart ....southern harvester and southern venture if I recall

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Workington when I was running in there around 14 years ago was a bit similar. The pub that never closed overlooking the harbour was always full of ladies from all over the North of England, which considering that if 1 ship a week berthed there then they considered the port to be busy. Must have been poor picking for them unless of course they were into the happy baccy distribution trade as Workington was renowned as one of the main import centres for N. African drugs at the time.
    rgds
    JA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast