Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ship losing its deck cargo of Cars.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ship losing its deck cargo of Cars.

This is interesting a Russian ship in heavy weather losing its cargo of cars
    http://youtu.be/38jDQkkaxT8 Plus many other films of "Good Seamanship"????????????

A total of 64 cars were aboard cargo ship Astongate traveling from Toyama, Japan, to Vladivostok, Russia. After the storm hit the ship -- 52 of them ended up at the bottom of the sea. Whoever bought those cars signed a document allowing the cargo to be transported on ship's deck at their own risk.

cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 14th October 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ship losing its deck cargo of Cars.

Real crazy that!
    They could,nt have had good securing on the Vehicles,even though its rough Seas,sure with good strong steel cables attached in the correct manner it wouldnt have been that bad!
    Poor owners of the Vehicles! They would be so mad and devasted at these scenes,the Shipping Company would have to pay out quite a bit on this?
    Cheers thanks for this Video Link Capt!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's better to lose a bit of deck cargo, than losing crew members trying to save it. I think it was the Chuscal, Elders and Fyffes lost about 5 crew trying to save an empty horsebox. I thought it was always so that deck cargo wasn't insured.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sealink , in a hurry one evening in Jersey when closing up the car deck after discharging , for an overnight stay closed the hydraulic deck onto a very expensive sports car , the mate rang the engine room and complained the hydraulics were very noisey , they were never designed to fold a car up , but they managed it well
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All.
    Hit a very big storm on a coaster in the Cook Straights NZ late 50s we had a navy radar container on the fore deck which broke the chain lashing, [Week Link.] Three of us went down the well deck to lash it, the bosun was washed into the scuppers injuring his leg, but we managed to get some wires around it and secure it. One car breaking loose might have been a broken lashing but it shouldn't have affected the rest surly.
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    Sealink , in a hurry one evening in Jersey when closing up the car deck after discharging , for an overnight stay closed the hydraulic deck onto a very expensive sports car , the mate rang the engine room and complained the hydraulics were very noisey , they were never designed to fold a car up , but they managed it well
    I was on a couple of ferries, both bow door jobs, and was often concerned about the bow doors left open. We were on the Southampton, Bordeaux and Cassablanca. We all know what the Bay of Biscay can be like. Then it was sad to hear of that one in the news a few years back in the channel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it is the one I always remember Frank it was in Zeebrugge , All the deck officers I know that were in Sealink say they never did it , they always shut the watertight inner doors , all the engineers that I know have a different recollection
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Appleford View Post
    It's better to lose a bit of deck cargo, than losing crew members trying to save it. I think it was the Chuscal, Elders and Fyffes lost about 5 crew trying to save an empty horsebox. I thought it was always so that deck cargo wasn't insured.
    Yes Frank it was the Chuscal, Elders and Fyffes....how's the missus Frank?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on a couple of ferries, both bow door jobs, and was often concerned about the bow doors left open. We were on the Southampton, Bordeaux and Cassablanca. We all know what the Bay of Biscay can be like. Then it was sad to hear of that one in the news a few years back in the channel.

Ye...the Bay of Biscay...I remember it well Frank

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BTW Frank, I see that you still sign onto the Corby Knowhere Board under various and fictitious names harrassing strangers that you've never met in a place that you've never been, is there a reason for that Frank? I believe they call that type of behaviour being a TROLL Frank, little old for that sort of thing are'nt you Frank?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast