Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Titanic Hotel Liverpool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Titanic Hotel Liverpool.

TMCL030913TITANIC-29-5837466.jpgThe White Star building in Liverpool has been left to go into a state of decay over the last couple of years now it is to be turned into an hotel which will be known as the Titanic,this was the White Star office at the time of the Titanic sinking.Some of you most probably walked passed this at the Liverpool meet up.I've posted a couple of pictures here as a bit of nostalgia for those that went into the building,as we all know PSNC took over the building so it most probably that company that had the mosaic map of South America laid in the entrance hall.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.TMCL030913TITANIC-3-5837468.jpgTMCL030913TITANIC-15-5837451.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Brady; 5th September 2013 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Titanic Hotel Liverpool.

interesting pictures Jim- you any idea when pics 2 & 3 were taken?
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John in tonights Liverpool Echo there is the full story and quite a lot of pictures,I imagine these are recent maybe they gave the place a bit of a tidy up to take the pictures.There are some great shots taken from the top of the building anybody that hasn't been to Liverpool for a few years would get a real shock at the change in the area.It looks down on where the Pool was and Kingston House the mission and Albert Dock of course.Someone can put the whole thing up I hope.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim, it was the White Star Line Head Office at the time of the sinking, not Cunard's. Cunard's offices were at that time on the junction of Water Street and Rumford Street. They were there till 1917 when they moved to the newly built Cunard Buildings on the Pier Head. It will be good to see Albion House being used again and associated with the White Star Line. Thank goodness they did not decide to demolish it.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are some magnificent buildings around there including the India Buildings of EDs and Blu Flu.
    I was impressed by the interior of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board Building we went in at BoA week.Magnificent.
    I have only been in the basement at the back of the Cunard buiilding. I would like to do a tour of that and the Liver as well.
    The room above the main entrance of the Liver where the balcony is, is a room containing the ship builders model of the Empress of France, It is some kind of Charity Organisation, includes Chery Bliar on the Committee.
    I wrote the history of the Empress of France and when she was the Duchess of Bedford and her Troopship years with many photos also a personal story of when I sailed on her several times. It was well recieved and they told me it brought the ship to life as no one there knew anything about it.The book is on top of the glass case and visitors can look at it. It cost me a few quid to do it.
    I was told there would be a Grand Opening with drinks and a selected guest list and I would be invited.
    I am still waiting for the invitation.
    Maybe I should have a word with Cherie next time I have a drink with her and Tony.
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 5th September 2013 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice Pics Jim, I wonder how much of the entrance and stairway will be saved. Think it would be a shame to rip it all out, and just retain the shell of the building.
    George
    in Southampton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Nice Pics Jim, I wonder how much of the entrance and stairway will be saved. Think it would be a shame to rip it all out, and just retain the shell of the building.
    George
    in Southampton
    Did you get the Liverpool Echo up George and see the full story.They say they are going to strip everything back to the original and preserve it even leaving the big iron girders with the rivets on show.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jim,
    Many thanks for the info on the old White Star building. As a young kid we used to go around all the shipping companies offices collecting pictures of ships. As you rightly said PSNC and also Royal Mail Lines had their Liverpool office in the building. I think I am right in saying that was where PSNC had their head office. As you know, most of the Liner companies had their HQ in Liverpool and many happy days were spent going around the shipping offices asking for postcards of the ships, and, I have to say, without exception, all of them obliged. If ever there was an impetus to join the MN that has to be up there. Looking forward to seeing the the Titanic Hotel.
    Best regards
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was 15 years old when I walked through those PSNC portals, travelled from Hull without an appointment and I got the job for my audacity, but had to wait until I was sixteen before they would appoint me to a ship, then it was three and a half years of white slavery, a 12 hour day was a short one!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast