Just been watching one of the old Snow Bow Films ( i have a few)on a few old Liners from London Docks to New Zealand !

There is a part in it that shows the old Ship Vindicatrix and the narration is on the Lads (like so many of you) that went there!
It is said that after you had finished your courses you were then known as the Bridge Boys,to do with the Bridge near the Ship?? Never heard that on this Site before!
After which you returned home to collect your belongings,and started your journeys mostly by Train of course to Londons Docks,to join whichever Ship you were assigned to!

It shows one Lad saying cherio to his proud Parents and heading off on the Train!
He looks so lonely sitting in the carriage,and i am sure many thoughts were going through his mind!
He would be going to places only dreamt of by many other youngsters,and also many older people that had never travelled afar!

I as many of you know never had that time at the Vindi,and it was such a pity.as i am sure that had i attended,i too would have spent a much.much longer time in the Merchant Navy!

Yes this Video has so many Ships going and coming ,from London and NZ, and has some great footage of the Ships Engine room as well,and what goes on down there in the belly of these once great Ocean Liners!

A video of some great nostalgia,which brings back so many memories to me as well!
One thing that i really loved is the showing of some of these great old Ladies up the English Channel,and then on the great Atlantic crossings,some show just how rough that Atlantic could be!
That at least was one of the great Oceans that i too well remember!
Thanks for reading!
Cheers

Many of you have much to thank because of the good Sea Training you were given,if not for places like the Vindi,i wonder what would have happened to most!
Take care old Salts!!