Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore Accident

Tony Morcom Guest

Default Singapore Accident

Reported to have happened within last 48 hours in Singapore Straits but no further information available at the moment.

Last edited by Tony Morcom; 6th March 2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: updating link

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Broad Daylight

Think what its like at night. Obviously both ships wanted to finish up at different destinations. I'm still waiting and hoping I'm wrong for the next disaster in navigation inside the Barrier Reef. Although AMSA have all the regulations in place to make as foolproof as possible, there are still people outside of these limits. (AMSA Australian Maritime Safety Authority). The Singapore collission as tape, the immediate question is why didnt the give way vessel reduce speed. nearly all these ships nowadays are bridge controlled and there is no excuse whatsoever for the accident shown to happen. Cheers John Sabourn With ref. to this, as both masters are going to be severely censured and possible loss of certification by any of the watchkeepers present, why do the likes of Greenpeace vessels who deliberately ram other vessel face no retribution. There appears to be 2 maritime laws 1. For seafarers re. the normal safe navigation of vessels and 2. Government rules and laws waived for the likes of others. Regards John Sabourn
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 4th March 2013 at 10:25 AM.

3. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

somebody didn't take there tickets in shields hope thers no casualties regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what ever happened to ship to ship communication nice to see the incident captured on film. heads should roll over this.jp

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Maybe

The smaller vessel lost its steering, is the only possibility I can see. I know vessels overtake very close at times due to congestion of shipping, but they do appear a bit closer than normal practice. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it looked like the cod war all over again is this sea rage i would hate to be in a bloody car with either of them? will the masters be grounded until blame is sought?jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default J.P.

John over the years I have seen it time and time again even in the middle of the ocean two crossing vessels where they have communicated with each other what they are going to do. I used to say what would you do if you didnt have the VHF. We had no such thing at one time, and in most cases there is no need for it, the Rule of the Road covers it. Going through the Straits to me was always a dangerous place to be, in our time though I think shipping was more profuse even though of smaller tonnage. These ships in transit are in continuous communication with the shore stations and each other if necessary. The number of times I was back and forwards to singapore taking ships back and bringing out there was always traffic inshore mainly barges and such being towed, the ships i was mostly on then were under the gross tonnage and a pilot was not compulsory so I never took one. However these in transit of the straits are mostly clear of all this inshore traffic and said report in every 40 minutes or so and have a continuous update on other ships in transit, so unless the vessel had steering problems it looks very much on the tape to be incompetence. It would be good to be able to follow this story to its conclusion. As cappy said hope no deaths or injuries, if there had been would I hope at least have made the media by now. Regards John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who are todays navigators? Cowboys???
    No way should that have happened with normal watch keeping.
    I nearly had many situations like that. A lot of these ships go on Auto, and then they all turn in.
    I had one situation near the Thames estuary. when a ship coming out of the Thames was on my Port Bow, I was on his Starboard bow. I was North bound.
    We were on a collision course, I called him up on VHF and asked him if he was going to alter before we hit. He replied , My Captain told me not to alter course for no one.` I said `Get your Captain quick` He `My Captain sleeping, do not disturb`,
    I thought this is a waste of time, Me, `Stay as you are , I am going to take a round turn and let you get ahead, ` I went hard a starboard and took a leisurely round turn and then he was away on my starboard bow. all clear.
    `THE RULES` mean nothing to these guys.
    I had another in a similar situation to the one in the film.
    I was being overtaken coming down the North Sea towards Dover. He was getting closer and a collision would have occured., I looked through the binoculars, no one on deck, No one on the Bridge and no one in the Chart room, the ship was deserted. Getting uncomfortable, I was calling on VHF, No responce, I just went hard a starboard and took a round turn again out of it and then put her ahead of me. I called Dover Coast Guard, with the ships name and funnel markings, He said `Sorry old chap, nothing we can do about it.` as I say, they go on auto and then turn in.
    That film is an every day occurance,
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 4th March 2013 at 11:30 AM.

11. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

john are we to reliant on technical gizmos on the bridge is there anyone at the wheel thees days just in case? is there more traffic than years ago it should not make any difference some one will be on the carpet or should be.jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Numerous

Like Brian, over the years have had too many scary experiences with some people who nowadays should be not near a ships bridge. I must say that this occured mainly in my final years at sea, when I am lead to believe the standards as set by our own BOT were starting to decline. However I have been on some real humdingers through force of circumstance an put it down mainly to this. However looking at that piece of film brought it home to me, that unless that ship lost its steering, what a state our shipping world is in. I know on my final years it was not knowing what to do, it was actually trying to surmise what stupid decision the other ship was going to make, as the Rule of the Road in many cases is totally ignored. Cheers John Sabourn

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast