Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: slavery

john sutton Guest

Default slavery

I note that liverpool is having another slavery week and I can remember when Blair made an apology on behalf of the British nation for our part in the slavery business.
    At the time I was so incensed at this I wrote an open letter to blair which was never publicised but I thought some of our members might want to share this with me
    john sutton

Apologies

Please Mr Blair, don’t apologise on my behalf. At least not until everyone else has apologised for their wrongdoings in history.
    Why not get out an apology list, maybe I could start.

The Arab traders who sold the slaves to the slave traders.
    The African chieftains who sold their captured slaves to the Arab traders.
    The slaves, who in belonging to a tribe in Africa must at sometime have captured people and made them slaves.
    In addition.
    The Scandinavians, who as Vikings robbed and pillaged the coasts of Britain and took slaves,
    Parliament, who decreed that witches, should be burnt at the stake.
    Parliament, who decreed that Catholics should be burnt at the stake.
    The Catholic Church for the inquisition and the persecution of the Jews.
    The Normans (read French) who enslaved the English peasants, having taken their lands away. (They called us serfs)
    The Romans, who conquered our country and shipped slaves, back to Rome.
    The Mongols took slaves.
    The Egyptians took slaves. Even the North American Indians took slaves, and the South American Indians.

What happened during the slave trading days was appalling but we should not have to shoulder all the blame for what happened. Slaving wasn’t government sponsored, it was a trade. Just like the mill owners who used children in the mills at slave rates, or the mine owners who sent children down the mines and made their parents practically slaves. It should also be remembered that it was the English who were first to take a stand and outlaw the practice.
    Before blaming the English people, specifically the people of Liverpool and Bristol share the blame where it originates.
    So please Mr Blair don’t apologise on my behalf

John Sutton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Slavery.

I dont suppose many of you are aware of the Irish Slave Trade.It was just as bad if in fact not worse than the Black Slavery.Irish slaves were sold for less money than the Black Slave.Just google Irish Slave Trade it will open your eyes,I don't see any apologies being given to the Irish people.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Slavery

Why not get an apology from ADAM and EVE they started it all. Anyway slavery still exists today it's called "marriage"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Why not get an apology from ADAM and EVE they started it all. Anyway slavery still exists today it's called "marriage"
    Oh come of it Ivan marriage is great, it is for me anyway

John Albert Evans

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Slavery

John Albert,does your wife read your post's on here.?
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i would be lost without my slave errr i mean the wifejp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default slave ships not me

Hi shipmates, Slavery has never gone away its still here in the U.K 2012 . in the sex trade, in all the major citys and some towns domestic Servants in london still run away from they masters{ Non british} Many illegals work for gangmasters for well below the min rate picking and packing, with no rights in very bad conditions, and many more people trapped in low payed jobs in many places .The History of the black slave is the trade happen people were needed for the west indies to grow sugar cane ,Some english people were a part of it !!!!! my wifes great great great grand farther was a ships captain in the slave/drug trade who grew very rich he had shops and property in Bristol and elsewhere he also had a medal from the young queen victoria, its in my cabinet ,for his part, he sailed from bristol . Slavery is alive and well and growing world -wide today.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Blair

I think he has a downright nerve for apologising for the country. What right does he have to do so. He apologies for himself only. He should be apologising for being the worse leader of a parliament in living history. If I had my way he would be a candidate for the Tower of London. What a piece of flotsam. Regards John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My relatives were slaves.
    I have been doing my research for the family tree, and my great, great Aunt was listed on the 1881 census as a Coal Miner,
    She was 8 years old.
    My Dad started work in the mills at 12 years of age.
    Bliar should also appologise for British Industry exploiting the British workers,
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a descendant of slaves from St Kitts, I can honestly say his apology meant nothing and was certainly not required by me or my family. Slavery is awful, and should be stopped, but what happened many years ago happened, and no apology now helps.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast