Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maritime Authorities

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Maritime Authorities

To put it bluntly, are the Maritime Authoritys of Maritime nations who have signed whatever agreements that have been signed not stop the wanton and so called people who run vessels purely to harass others on the high seas. Have not followed the news of the latest collission in the Antarctic regions re the latest collission between vessels engaged in whaling and those opposed to same. Whatever your leanings towards whaling or not, the law is blatantly being broken by masters of vessels that take their vessels into such close proximity of each other for the unlawful reason of harassment. Every nautical law regarding the Rule of the Road is being broken apart from whatever other rules also. Any resultant deaths due to such behaviour and the masters responsible will be due to face at least manslaughter charges. I read somewhere that a 500 metre exclusion zone had been placed around these ships, that is a start to proceedings at least. I have yet to see a politician in Australia make any move against these vessels, some of these pollies are ex lawyers etc.and if they do not know their job, just shows why they went into politics where they carry on in the same vein. Another line to go on, as a recent post on Discharge Books, let the public know how these ships are manned and what qualifications these people have, perhaps the poor standards of a seagoing industry will then be made blatantly clear for all to see. Any party which visibly supports such going on as the Greens, how on earth anyone could vote for such short sighted and blinkered people shows how the general populance can be so easily hoodwinked. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default In Comparison

Everyone all over the world is aware of the illegal immigrant situation by means of fishing boats. The crews of these boats are probably manned by 2 or 3 usually not very well educated men and boys. On being taken into captivity they usually receive big fines their boats are burned and they receive prison terms. The people behind the scenes this does not affect them. The penalties between the two situations although different are very similar in content as both are breaking the Law. However the penalties are very different as in the case of the harassment this appears to be ok. and up to now there has been no penalties as such. Something to me gives off a rotten smell of the ways our laws are being construed. Cheers John Sabourn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have now caught up on that one John , it has not been reported yet in the UK . I have no desire to see Whaling continue and no taste for Whale-meat either , but if the Japanese are carrying out legal fishing and these guys from Sea Shepherd are interfering with them refuelling at sea , then I would put what they are doing in the same bracket as piracy , they are endangering life at sea . If they want to stop whaling then it has to be done internationally , I see it here so often the will of the minority imposed on the majority . The animal rights mob here released captive mink and devastated local wild life , The RSPCA spent £350,000 on a prosecution that yielded £5000 in fines , then appeal for more money to save the dogs and cats when they have spent the kitty on anti hunting publicity and prosecutions , Gay marriage is being forced through , because of the few again . I would vote to stop Whale hunting , but I would vote to jail any person who jeopardised any crewman legally fishing , even if I don't like what they are fishing for
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rob

The same applies to a recent visit by (cant remember his name) the Dutch politician who is against Islamiism. Shouted down by a few, and the State governments werent at one time going to allow him in. He received police protection arriving in Perth and was taken to a Safe House. Reminonitions of Enoch Powell. Shouted down by the few. The only ones allowed free speech in the Democracys seem to me to be the trouble makers of this world, are the only ones who have the right of free speech. Even the reporter who interviewed him was shown his anti, probably frightened of appearing to be not politically correct. What a bunch of wimps the western world is producing in especially our politics and the rotten statutes they put forward trying to curry favour with people who know this as their big weakness, and their own strength. Cheers John Sabourn

leratty Guest

I too am not a believer in whaling & the Japanese are for sure doing it behind a smokescreen, however Sea Shepherd et al nautical behaviour is not seaman like & should not be condoned. Yes realise akin John we who believe this will be howled down in some quarters but there it is. It is unprofessional, un-seaman like & just bloody dangerous. The dip sticks on board are mainly starry eyed youngsters who are crewing & if we were able to speak with them in 25 years would be of a different mindset I am sure. Yes stop whaling, but not this way.
    Agree with the Dutch polly comment John. Was amazed to read that they were going to ban his entry, Christ yet they allow those mad Mullahs in & even the crazy ones who have some form of residency in Aus mind boggeling, bemusing but oh so PC.
    Last edited by leratty; 21st February 2013 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Maritime Authorities

It sure is dangerousthey way the are going to stop the Japs from whaling i think it is playing right into the Japs hand by doing this .
    I have no love for the Japs and i think it is just a cover up when they they are doing this as a experimental exercise but let the goverments deal with it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The issue of whaling by the Japanese has been running hot for years, sad thing is that there is estimates to be over 10,000 tons of whale meat in freezers as no one is eating it. The younger generation have no liking for it and the gov is subsidising the industry at the rate of over 10 million US Dollars each year.
    But the actions of Sea Shepheard is not the way to go, they are little better than the pirates off the Somalian coast. However having met and spoken with some of the guys when they were here in Melbourne I do admire their desire to see this slaughter come to an end, a slaughter carried out under the disguise of research. How many whales do you have to kill to research them?
    The current Oz gov is sadly lacking in ball power, as they say the case is with the international courts ,but they do nothing to speed up the process or to find a way to stop it. A Naval patrol boat could be sent to the area but they say that is not the correct way to go, they are afeared of reprisals by the Japanese if they do anything, Japan being one of our strongest trading partners. So again principals go out the dooor in favour of the almight dollar.

As to the Dutchman, I have read some of his comments made in Holland and do not think he is bad. Holland has passed some stringent laws regarding Moslems, abide by Dutch law or goodbye, and I believe they are right. But the sqeaky wheel gets the oil so once again we have a minority, mainly young Green suporters, preventing him speaking. These are the same brain dead idiots who believe in free speech!!! Many venues will not allow him for fear of trouble caused by these idiots, but we had one radio announcer who tried to get a venue for him on the grounds that our laws allow and encourage freedom of speech. He did get to speak one night but the hecklers were there as well.

What is the matter with theses people, have they never read any history? The second world war was brought about by people like these, people with no tolerance, a 'me, me' attitude who are only prepared to see their side of the argument.

Rant over, time to see Dr. Gordons.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find that minority groups with a large voice scare the normal man and woman , If you disagree they shout at you . I support hunting in the UK , it is a community that believes in sensible land management , and in the countryside in general , but I had a conversation with someone a few weeks ago who told me they were totally opposed to hunting because gamekeepers kill all the birds of Prey , every gamekeeper I know actually likes these birds , but because of a handful of bad gamekeepers the minority shout that all of them are bad . It is the same to me when I look at the so called scientific research into Whaling , i think the minority of fishermen that carry this out are at best misguided , at worst , well ! I don't like the thought of Whales as a food anyway . I am sure that the Sea Shepherd guys are well meaning and of good intention , and they regard the Japanese Whalers as criminals , but there is an international agreement that lets the Japanese do this Legally as it does with the Norwegians ., and unfortunately with laws , I don't think we can pick and choose which ones to obey , if there are bad laws out there then we need to change them , either politically , or by peaceful protest , let us say if everyone in the World who objected to Whaling stopped buying Japanese cards , trucks , and electronics , and told the Japanese why ., I think that the problem of Whaling would be solved overnight . That is when the true heart of people shows , and the silent majority don't actually care , they would rather have their Toyota , than save a Whale , and until that changes the law will stay the same
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Green Crews

There are a couple live in this state picked up for something or other. One of them usually ties himself to trees to prevent them cutting down.He is one of them jumped on board a Jap ship and was going to be taken back to Japan before the do gooders argued differently. Lives I believe off the dole. Certainly not a seaman to my knowledge. I assume there must be numerous maritime laws they are breaking, if these people are not crew then they must be passengers, do these ships have a passenger certificate. I have seen supply boats in the North Sea fined heavily for bringing in rig workers off the rig above the stipulated amount the ship was certificated to carry, and this was for a 6 hour passage. There is a ****** in the woodpile, maybe we may one day have some one employed in a maritime government department get up and explain why no action in the past, now, and appears in the future is not happening. Possible at a later date when it is too late and someone has been badly hurt or damaged, they will then be all wanting to jump up and point the finger elsewhere as often happens. Cheers John Sabourn
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd February 2013 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Japanese Whalers

At least they are seamen. Pity they did not wash the intruders off their ship with a high pressure hose.

Alternatively they could have harpooned a few. Cruelty to animals? Don't the Canadians get away with clubbing seal pups to death.
    Last edited by Robert T. Bush; 22nd February 2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: addition

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast