Thread: Defence Discount card

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Qualification Criteria

Qualification Criteria

Qualification by Conflict
    World Wars I & II. Although there are no known merchant seafarers now alive from World War I, their
    retrospective status as veterans may still be appreciated by their descendants. All merchant seafarers
    and fishermen serving aboard any UK vessel between the first and last day of World War II were
    deemed to be serving “Under Admiralty Charter” throughout the conflict. While their actual conditions of
    service differed, these personnel faced the same dangers and should, in terms of recognition, be treated
    as if they were Royal Navy personnel during the period of this service. WWII began on 3 September
    1939 (when the first vessel SS “Athena” was sunk) and ended on VJ Day on 15 August 1945. During
    the conflict a large number of merchant seafarers and fishermen found themselves onboard ships that
    were requisitioned by the Royal Navy. Many of these men volunteered to remain onboard as crew,
    working alongside Royal Navy personnel. While they remained on their civilian pay and leave
    conditions, they were required to sign T124X or T124T agreements which placed them under the Naval
    Discipline Act and strengthened their case for similar recognition to their RN colleagues.
    Other Conflicts post 1945. Those legally defined military operations recognised by the UK Government
    as those in which the Merchant fleet supported the military included, but are not limited to, Korea (1950-
    53), Suez (1956), South Atlantic (1982), Gulf (Kuwait Crisis) (1990-91) and Gulf (Iraq Invasion) (2003).
    Significantly all Merchant Navy seafarers who served in these zones are entitled to receive campaign
    medals following certain periods in theatre: for example, over 5000 such medals were awarded for the
    Falklands campaign alone. Under the Protection of Military Remains Act (PMRA), two merchant vessels
    (Storaa and Atlantic Conveyor) have so far been designated as protected places, in recognition of their
    status in supporting UK military operations.

Non UK Conflicts. A significant number of British merchant seafarers, in going about their lawful
    business, were required to sail into war zones not involving the UK. These include places such as
    Vietnam, and the Persian Gulf during the Iran/Iraq war. These were warlike areas and a number of
    British merchant seafarers were killed or injured as a result of armed actions. More recently, the
    concept of war zones and areas of warlike operations has been extended to include piracy hotspots with
    such areas being designated as “high risk” e.g. the UK Warlike Operations Area Committee has recently
    declared an area in the Gulf of Aden as “high risk”. Nonetheless, it is not intended to pursue official
    veteran status, which implies some form of service to the Nation, for these personnel, and they are not
    considered to be part of the Armed Forces Community.

Proof of Service
    While mercantile marine records are not comparable with those held on behalf of the UK Armed Forces,
    British merchant seafarers normally have Discharge Books which contain details of the vessels in which
    they served including the dates. The names and dates of those ships that sailed into the operational
    zones are retained in the records held by the MCA’s Registry of Shipping and Seamen. The Royal
    Naval Historical Archive holds online records, and the Merchant Navy Association and the Federation of
    Merchant Mariners also keep an expanding database of those qualifying personnel who have been
    awarded the Merchant Navy Veterans badge. Ships’ Articles, crew lists and discharge books can also
    provide supporting evidence. Thus, proof of service is based on confirmation of the individual’s ship
    discharge record and that ship’s service in support of UK military operations.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Getting our wires crossed here, The initial post was in regard to the veterans discount card, not the veterans badge. The information copied from the MNA website is in regard to the badge not the card.

You can even apply for the card if you are serving in the cadets. Link to application form below.

https://www.defencediscountservice.c...ignup_form.pdf
    Last edited by DeepSea; 15th February 2013 at 11:40 AM.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

I applied for and recieved a veterans badge for suplying troops in kenya during the mau mau uprising ,3 weeks up the creek unloading land rovers and explosive ordinance on too barges . also cyprus during the greek /turk problem .we were going to see a movie on the dock .but it was canncelled due to a bomb threat over the wall .what benefit is a veterans card .

Tony Morcom Guest

Default Defence Discount Card

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention Bill. I have received my card today plus an additional card for Iceland. With the discounts available, at just £4.99 for 5 years this should be a no brainer for all of our UK based members.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can you just clarify this Tony , on page 1 of the application it asks type of service and you click the drop down box on veterans , then NEXT , then on te drop down box on page 2 it gives a choice again and it says " Merchant Navy ( With Veterans Badge ) , can I assume no veterans badge no card , or am I reading it wrongly
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Tony Morcom Guest

Rob: As Deepsea stated a veteran is someone who has served within a particular service. Further into the application it clearly states that all applocations are vetted for appropriate service and seatime. Whilst having no Veterans Badge I have been on 2 ships inside a war zone. Whether or not they are true to their word and actually check the application is unknown. However my application was accepted based on production of my Discharge Book and like most I am certainly not going to look a gift horse in the mouth especially when it is Government Backed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tony, just a thought, how much shopping do you do in Iceland??
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Defence Discount card

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    Can you just clarify this Tony , on page 1 of the application it asks type of service and you click the drop down box on veterans , then NEXT , then on te drop down box on page 2 it gives a choice again and it says " Merchant Navy ( With Veterans Badge ) , can I assume no veterans badge no card , or am I reading it wrongly
    I’ve just found this topic Rob, Did you get this card without having a veterans badge?
    I was at sea in the late sixties, no war zones, no badges but I can get £75 onboard spend on a p & o cruise if I’m registered with this veteran card.

Pitcrew

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It asks if you hold a MN veterans badge. I have one because of trooping. I gave my discharge book number and uploaded a pic of the discharge book page 3 and 4. It was accepted instantly. One visit to Pizza Hut at 25% off should cover the £5 cost that covers 5 years.
    Activities like Cargo to Gan Island might be enough for some to get Veterens badge even though being part of the Falklands War used to be deemed too late. But worth investigating, even without badge - - criteria do change over time.
    Harry Nicholson

10. Likes Bill Cameron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The veterans badge who knows may become a collectors item in the not too distant future. I’ve had my name and dis.A. Number and Naval Party number engraved on the back of mine, who knows may add value to it , for some great great great grandchild. Only cost a few bob to do and as the badge was free, may as said be a future investment. Would of had it done sooner but had to give Cappy 3/9d. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st March 2019 at 10:42 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2