Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A Story of the REINA DEL PACIFICO.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A Story of the REINA DEL PACIFICO.

#9.. It didn’t have to be a D.R. In your discharge book which seems to be regarded as a disgrace. A seaman paying of a ship had a choice which apparently few knew about to ask for an ENR which meant Endorsement Not Required. Or in the case of an apparent jumping ship instead of deserted just plain missed ship. It was used in a lot of cases to put the fear of Christ in to someone to maintain discipline , which you will get very few people to admit to. A VNC voyage not completed brought up visions of a desertion where in matter of fact it could be on medical grounds . A simple reason in a lot of cases would have been a lot fairer to the person whose book was stamped with what was considered a stigma. Such discharges were later dispensed with, and not open to every Tom Dick and Harry who wanted to make an issue of it. At the time they served a purpose but in today’s modern world they would be more open to a court of law. JS
    R575129

2. Thanks Bill Roques, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In Australia anything less than a V Good was cause to question!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: A Story of the REINA DEL PACIFICO.

hi john sabourn #11
    good evening, even dead reckoning can find you a couple of miles off course, as you know. but the best one was when my neighbour a couple of doors away, stopped outside my house and started a conversation with me, it was unusual as i had lived in that particular house for a couple of years and never really had time to converse with anybody close by.
    anyway during the conversation he asked if i with my wife would have dinner with himself and his wife in the near future, i not really wanting to do so and thinking it would most likely be in the next couple of weeks, which by that time i could make a excuse and not go so i said yes i would, but he came right back at me and talked me into a time a couple of days later,
    anyway my wife and i turn up and meeting his wife for the first time, she blurts out that she has been dying to meet me, well to say i was taken aback was putting it lightly and by the look on the wifes face she wasnt happy at all.
    well the meal started with drinks more drinks and then the wine etc etc, and the neighbour tells me why she wanted to meet me.
    it seems that they couldnt believe the amount of times i would come home early hours in the morning in taxis and it was obvious that i had imbibed on more than the average drinker, she told me that i was a constant that she looked forward to and that one night she said that i got out of the taxi and had my head on the bonnet,and was all ways concerned of how i ever got home,well these two where both high ranking in the finance world, and themselves where no shirkers when the glass was full and they could put it away to say the least, so there you are i found my way home no matter how drunk i was without dead reckoning, i just called a taxi.
    tom
    Last edited by thomas michael; 21st April 2021 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

decline to report .

6. Thanks Bill Roques thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14. See your point Tom, but always found it hard to find a taxi in the middle of the Pacific. However things may be getting more easier in that direction today. The easiest way crossing the Atlantic and there being more shipping around was to ask someone else , and hope they gave you the correct information and not give you the wrong position just to make mock of you. I’ve had other ships ask me the same question and as long as they said please I have always tried to assist .Cheers JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our neighbors on the other corner come in for a drink now and then.
    0200 hours Saturday morning they get up to go home.
    Can I call you a taxi mate as you look a bit full.
    No said she we will walk.

Saw them yesterday at the supermarket, they did walk, wrong way for about 50 meters before they realised where they were going.
    No such problem for me I went to my bunk.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn,#16
    good morning, as it is your tendency as is mine, to make light of the subject in hand, but your answer regarding others asking for directions mid-way across the atlantic, i have a feeling that that was true, and was it ?
    tom

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18... yes it is, it was in 1987 the last time going from Europe to Philadelphia a beautiful clear calm day , and this ship calls us up on the vhf and asks us if we had a position. I said yes and gave it to him , he didn’t say so but assume a fuse must have blown on his GPS , such is life at sea today. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thomas going back to the post of yourself and wife entertaining your fan club with your hospitality , ive lost where it is, but I read it again in more depth and came to the following of what I thought would of happened if the roles had been reversed and you had to drive home a bit under the weather.
    I can just imagine you being waved down by the upholder of law and order and his words to you Sir we are doing a spot check, and your reply , I’ve got two blackheads and a boil on my Ass.
    You see great minds think alike .
    When you had to give your name and address you could always try giving Cappys.
    Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    hi john sabourn,#16
    good morning, as it is your tendency as is mine, to make light of the subject in hand, but your answer regarding others asking for directions mid-way across the atlantic, i have a feeling that that was true, and was it ?
    tom
    Going across the Atlantic with no sun for days, or sight of another vessel, when coming across a fellow traveller have swapped DR noon positions, but if you transmit first you never were sure whether the position you were sent back was your own or theirs adjusted to seem possible, but eh! oh! it passed the time away!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast