Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Assisting ships in distress

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Assisting ships in distress

Hi Bob,
    I remember this very clearly!! I was the J/3/O there at the time, an Aussie who was a bit out of my depth after an apprenticeship on the Aussie coast. Old Captain Jack Stanger was an amazing bloke, and I learned a great deal from him over the time I was in the Megantic. The events you recall are as clear to me today as they were then! Old Jack was a cool as a cucumber, but the Chief Mate was an Irishman, (Ian?) whom we called Christmas...he rushed about shouting "Christmas!!" when things were not going well!! Not a bad lad however. But the one who took the boat away was Freddy, the Second Mate...bloody good seaman but a bit of a lad!! I sailed in that ship for 2 years and paid off in New Zealand to come back to Sydney on the Aranda to do my Mates ticket...my send-off in Lyttleton is legendary! It held up the Inter-Island ferry "Wahine" for quite some time until her Captain could rid himself of our Captain jack and a bunch of drunks from Megantic...But thats another story.

All best best and Hard Amidships..
    Dave Pyett Sydney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

David Pyett. #51. The Megantic with captain Jack Stanger August/1969 to January/1970, the best trip I ever had. Started with a European coastal loading in Hamburg, Bremen. Rotterdam, Antwerp, LeHarve, round to Ploce in the former Yugoslavia, captain Jack had to smooth out a bit of trouble with the local authorities after the lads in high spirits damaged some port equipment, wine and dined them. Finally to Genoa, again captain Jack was informed by the agent that a football match between a local team and Santos of Brazil with the great Pele playing the next day. A coach was organised to take crew except the watchkeepers, the score 7 - 1 to Santos, Pele scored twice, I can say I have seen the great man play.
    Then on to New Zealand for the usual coastal, parties etc. The mate was Peter Tozer on that voyage.
    Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

think that all these posts should be sent to either a Maritime museum, or maybe a nautical school for perusal.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    , or maybe a nautical school for perusal.
    Des
    Perhaps not Des, don't think they could handle a life of 22 months away without a mobile phone, 22 days would see them seeking mental support

5. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suppose you are right Ivan, They would probably think that all accidents in the 50s and 60s were because either the mate or the helmsman were on their mobiles.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, had they been like the younger generation of today they would never have ben off the bloody things.
    See them in shopping centers and am convinced they are using the GPS on the phone to find their way around.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a birthday party in the RSL last night, a crowd of seven to eight year olds, all sitting there with the screens going full blast.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sea rescue. Indian Ocean - Third Mate on the bridge senses a flicker from the corner of his eye. small piece of tattered sail. Slow rolling sea. He persists and follows his hunch.Stops the ship and comes about. We found 3 Maldive Islanders survivors from a party of 6 who had left their home island to visit neighbours on a nearby island - sudden storm blown out to sea for over 20 days. Little water, no food. Being Moslems they had to cover their dead as best they could before committing to the sea - so sunburned and pitiful state. Very grateful to be rescued. I informed local radio station station but had to continue our voyage before their repatriation. Great credit to the young Mate on his action.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6