As there has been a recent discussion re. crew manning, which is I beleive mainly of the past although there may still be ships manned as stated in post. I would like to put a copy of an answer I had in 2008 from a Master on a Drillship. This was on a web if I remember correctly gCaptain if the web is still there his reply as follows is still there.
" John, unfortuanetly the manning certificates remain a sore point. The Marshall Islands flags my drillship and while on location the mininum manning certificate does not even require a Captain. This is a 300 metre vessel! We have to be underway for more than 72 hours before a Chief Mate is required. Luckily the Company I work for mans with a full complement of seafarers. Will they continue to do so after the fleet doubles in the next 4 years ? and yes they do go without a full complement when someone takes emergency leave or quits. A sad state indeed". end of his post. Shipping in this Industry I know about. Every man is needed on these vessels, there are no passengers carried, if someone slacks off they are out no leeway given or taken. I was on a Drill ship in Australia for about 6 weeks and believe me you work for every penny. Unless they have a DP system you are at a 4 point moor and continually picking up and relaying and working also to weather conditions. The days of sunbathing and relaxation does not happen. I dont know what the new if any manning certificate structure has been brought out if any since 2008, but if any changes you can be sure it wont be to the seafarers benefit. Regards John Sabourn