Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cruise ship balconies

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cruise ship balconies

I've never been on a cruise ship with balconies, but I was surprised when a mate told me they can only be used in port, and are locked when at sea. Thinking about it I can see there could be a safety issue, but I can't see any point in anyone paying a lot extra for a balcony that can only be used in port when you would be probably be ashore anyway.
    Anyone confirm the regs? Cheers, Albi.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cruise Ship Balconies

Hi Albert
    Maybe this locking of the balconies is a new thing. If you think back it is only a few years ago when an American disappeared at sea of a cruise ship and there was blood on the balcony. Don't know the full story or its ending but as I recall there was talk of foul play and sex orgy's doing on in the cabin. So maybe it is now the practise to lock balcony doors whilst at sea to prevent any drunken passenger going overboard from their balcony.
    Though there are some of us who would happily toss some of illustrious ex. leaders etc. over the side should we ever encounter them on a cruise, balcony or not.
    rgds
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Knowing that I am a dyed in the wool traditionalist , thinking that lower accomadation blocks look more "ship Shape " I liked the idea of outside walkways , Somehow in the corners of my mind evacuation seemed easier , Passengers could promenade in the fresh air . Even sit out in steamer chairs , away from the wind and sun , if they wanted . I dont see locking balconies would stop a vanishing passenger . Someone on Union Castle was lost through porthole of a locked cabin . I just dont like the design of these Wedding Cake style ships . Lots of layers , lots of top weight .
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is something I have never experienced, though when the sea is rough enough a warning is issued to all about it. Companionways to upper decks are often closed off in heavy seas, but unless the wind is of an excessive speed the promanade deck is always open. The rail around balconies is of a similar height to those of other decks so I cannot see how the risk would be any higher there!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default balconies

Albert tried 3 or 4 times to answer your post the other day when I saw your name. Had the same problem as others as was not going out but coming up with"insufficient characters", having read others answer to problem will try again. The only passenger ship I was on was the Shields ferry, never had no problems there. Apart from a cargo/passenger ship running around the W. Indies in the 60"'s 15 passerngers caused enough problems apart from anything else. I always thought balconies were what Romeo and Juliet played around. Anyhow good to see you survivng that lousy weather you are probably having now, and belated New Years greetings. Best Regards John Sabourn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Bishop View Post
    I've never been on a cruise ship with balconies, but I was surprised when a mate told me they can only be used in port, and are locked when at sea. Thinking about it I can see there could be a safety issue, but I can't see any point in anyone paying a lot extra for a balcony that can only be used in port when you would be probably be ashore anyway.
    Anyone confirm the regs? Cheers, Albi.
    Never heard of that one before Albi. Sailed with 3 different cruise lines in balcony cabins. Never been locked. As far as I can remember the access doors to the balcony Couldn't be locked. I would have thought to lock them when at sea would be a safety hazard! I seem to remember that the doors cannot be opened from the outside (the balcony) if they are closed from the inside. Hence your cabin is secure when you go walk about.
    Regards Russ Kennedy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did a cruise on Royal Caribbean 2 years ago and had a cabin with a large balcony that was never locked. It'd be pointless to pay the extra $ if all you got was a very big porthole that didn't open.
    Duke Drennan R809731

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to all for the replies, I couldn't imagine having a balcony and not being able to use it at sea. That mate who told me is ex army, so I'll let him off with giving Duff info. And to John in Oz, You are right, no balconies on the Shields ferry, Stay well and all the best to you and yours. Cheers Albi.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mick Ayres

I have done 7 cruises in as many years on Cunard, Celebrity and P&O and never had balcony doors locked.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Latest disaster?

Royal Caribbean Grandure of the Seas on a cruise from Baltimore has experienced a fire on board.
    It disrupted one restaurant and ballroom, believed to have started in a galley.
    For five hours passengers and crew on abandon ship stand by whilst the fire was dealt with. No injuries and the fire appears to be restricted to the stern of the ship. Some superstructure damaged but nothing that cannot be repiared. All passengers safely ashore and offered full refunds with discounted cruise to follow.
    Ship will continue on own steam to port so the damage can be assessed.
    Nothing new here, fire at sea has been a danger since any form of fire was ever allowed on board.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast