Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Face the Facts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Face the Facts

I have purposefully stayed out of the thread on the latest passenger disaster as i find people rendering opinions on an incident still unfolding and have little or no knowledge is quite repulsive.

However, as I write there is an excellent programme on BBC Radio 4 (Face the Facts : 1230-1300) which addresses criminal acts which happen aboard px ships and go unresolved. Flag issues etc.

I am sure those of you who are 'savvy surfers' /'intrepid googlers' will be able to locate it.

Brgds

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Don!

Gulliver Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bill Davies View Post
    as i find people rendering opinions on an incident still unfolding and have little or no knowledge of quite repulsive.

Really? With that phrase ,now you've started insulting the opinions of members on this site-it's not taken long,has it?
    Didn't you ever discuss any incidents,with informed opinions or not, which were happening elsewhere ,at sea or ashore ,whilst you were serving aboard your own ships? I know we did but then no,perhaps you didn't Perhaps you only talked about subjects like alternate loading sequences in ore carriers,magnetic compass coefficients and the perceived inferiority of STCW certificates ad nauseam...
    You must have been a real bundle of joy to sail with......

Brgds
    Gulliver
    Last edited by Gulliver; 18th January 2012 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am in full agreement with you Gulliver.

angusmac

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default The thread on .................

The thread on the latest passenger disaster was originally posted by myself under the title Breaking News:

The Costa Concordia: at the time was such.

Although all would become global news fairly quickly, the post was intended to initially inform all of the tragedy adding links to the news items.

As a forum, I would expect others to both update on the news and what occurs:

As a forum, members not only passed on thoughts for those lost, but have continued to report on the incident.

I would believe all would await the official inquiries, but offer experiences and thoughts on what is now also a topic.

Unless I have misread something many have contributed to a discussion, as I do now.

Surely this is what a forum is for ?

I would imagine there will be many more conversations on this as further news is grim and all souls not found as yet.

This is a disaster of mamoth proportions and much more debate in all circles will ensue, before the official beliefs are announced fully.

Current situation all rescue attempts etc, suspended as the ship moves again.

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 18th January 2012 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
    Really? With that phrase ,now you've started insulting the opinions of members
    Not sure I follow you here David , perhaps you would be good enough to erxplain ?.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I always think of a Forum as an open public discussion , and being the "Public" we are not all experts , but as such have an opinion , formed from the information given , unfortunatly , often from a Press that consists of Baying Hounds and sly foxes , I try to form my opinions from what I see as reasonable accountable sources , I use the BBC and the Daily I have a pre-formed opinion on cruise ships , I think they have grown too big , I think evacuation is difficult with the numbers involved , I like ships that fly the red Ensign , I like British Masters , British Officers and British Crews , my uninformed mind makes me think that that is the safest options . If we dont voice our various often uninformed thoughts , this will no longer be a forum , but a lecture from the informed intellegencia , I would rather read the mixed , if sometimes wrong thoughts without attending the lecture , So if I get it wrong , if my opinion is skewed by a biased press , I would apologise in advance , So personally , I enjoy the free banter , however ill informed it maybe . That is what a Forum is in my eyes .
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gulliver I can concur with your opinion, however the man has the right to express his opinions the same as the rest of us. We may not agree with him, and I find his comments a little 'off', but I will defend his right to so express. It is known as democracy.

One point on which he and I agree is the fact that until the court of enquirer sits all else is pure speculation, Chinese whispers, innuendos and in some cases libelous commonest.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Gulliver Guest

Default Opinionated...

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Gulliver I can concur with your opinion
    I do agree with that-but what I do not like ,on a generally mature,ex-professional seafarers site like this is somebody being outrightly pompous,patronizing and dismissive of others opinions,without being rightly brought to task for such attitude-the same as what would occur at sea in fact.
    On a website we all have to try harder to avoid being misconstrued or misunderstood.Some will never accomplish that,and act as though they were still Master next to God.or in some cases Master above God...
    Now that is my opinion,John.......

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast