Thread: Silver marine services

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Silver marine services

I cannot speak highly enough of these two remarkable ladies who helped many a British Officer make that change which required a little courage at the time.
    Last edited by Capt Bill Davies; 7th January 2012 at 07:50 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default brenda ashcroft

i might be on the wrong track but the name Brenda Ashcroft i knew a brenda ashcroft and her parents wno use to live in rockferry birkenhead that would be in late 1945 she was just a wee girl then i have some photos of her with other people please forgive me if i am wrong regards lou barron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. Mz. Silver.As said Bill only took the one job from her, was a 12 month contract. Joined in Rotterdam, she was discharging Copra, with Copra comes Copra Bugs. Half the pubs and cafes were closed on the waterfront due to bugs getting everywhere even in the peanut machines. Went to Gdansk to load Coke for Karachi. The second mate an Arab jumped overside in Kiel canal and swam ashore, he was not going to sail with ship. The 3rd. Mate was Chinese so he was used as an interpreter with the crew. The E.R. staff believe from different area in China to the Deck crew, so they could not even talk to each other too well. The state of ship if told you, people would say he must be exaggerating as would be hard to believe. She did however have arrest warrants out on her for non compliance of LSA equipment etc. etc. I lasted 10 months, just couldnt see the 12 months out. Never went back to Silver Marine Services again. Used to get my jobs from Lloyds list, found was much safer. Saying that I suppose it was not Mz.Silvers fault. I have since been on bad ships but nothing compares with this one. Regards John Sabourn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Louis Barron View Post
    i might be on the wrong track but the name Brenda Ashcroft i knew a brenda ashcroft and her parents wno use to live in rockferry birkenhead that would be in late 1945 she was just a wee girl then i have some photos of her with other people please forgive me if i am wrong regards lou barron
    Charles,

The person you are referring to would not be 'our Brenda'. She was a good 20 years older than me when I met her in 68 although it was Betty Cobb that processed my application. I'm sure she could do a mean tango in the Tower Ball Room , New Brighton.

Brgds

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Used Silvers a couple of times in late 70s, Two smashing girls I found that they were very helpful in everything regarding giving plenty of info about the vessel and company that you would be working for.

Ray

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks Billit was just a stab in the dark new brighton boy that sure brings back some very happy memories had some good dances there my mates and i use to go there when i was at home in rockferry