Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A Flag in the UK ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A Flag in the UK ??

Good Morning/Evening all around the World!

Well Today i am starting out on a venture (not phisically) to try and endeavour to get something done regarding trying to get one or two of our MN Flags to get Hung up in the old Juniper Berry Pub,in Southampton!

As George in Southampton is at present very tied up with his Family etc,he is at this time unable to go there,so i have told him that i will start proceedings by Mail!

There is a letter that John Strange very kindly assisted me with to send to the Owners,and also another writeup regarding the meaning etc of our Flags! This one(letter) i will have Laminated sometime this Week.

I will also print out a copy of one of Mikes Flags and one of mine as well,to send with the letters !

I am in the hope that on receipt,the Owner will take Heart of our Plight and give permission for a Flag or Flags to be Hung in the Famous Watering Hole!

This i feel may be the last resort to get a Flag Flying in th UK,as all previous attempts to so many places tried by Mike Hall have unfortunately fallen through,which is such a let down from all the different Institutions,so lets all hold thumbs,cross fingers and whatever else.

We must at least try!
    Cheers

Dear Mike and Anita,

My name is Vernon MacDonald, assistant administrator with The British Merchant Navy web site. A web site for seafarers, past and present, where they can meet in a virtual situation to catch up with old ship mates, talk on issues concerning sea life as it was then, as well as now, and on occasions swing the lamp.

Over many generations some of the worlds greatest shipping companies and their ships called Southampton home, with the Juniper Berry a favourite watering hole for many of the crew. I recall many a great night spent in there, and it was from Southampton that so many young men set out on life’s journey in the very proud British Merchant Navy.

During World War Two over 32,000 Merchant Seamen from a number of Commonwealth countries made the ultimate sacrifice while serving in the British Merchant Navy, many sailing from Southampton.

Had it not been for these men, the food, munitions, oil and raw materials required to ensure the country, and it’s troops, could survive, would never have been delivered. It was their unselfish actions that ensured we would all enjoy the freedom we know today. These men, the husbands, brothers, fathers, grandfathers, uncles and cousins of those ashore who waited for their safe return.

Over the years many attempts have been made to enshrine the memory of these brave souls so that future generation may come to understand the significance of the men who went out in the ships. After a long hard fight we now have Merchant navy day on September 3rd. It is now also recognised in Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

There are a number of web sites dedicated to seamen past and present so that old mates may keep in touch. We also strive to keep the memory of the Merchant Navy alive as well.

One of the efforts has been to produce a number of Red Ensign (Red Duster} flags with the name of merchant seamen, their registration number and first ship, written on them. The concept of the flag is to ensure that the efforts of the Merchant Navy during times of trouble would not be forgotten, and to enshrine forever the history of this most essential service. Many of the names on the flags continued to serve their country long after the conflict was ended, but did so in the proud tradition of the British Merchant Navy.

In our effort to keep the story alive we are trying to get as many of these flags placed in situations of significance. For example we now have on in the Seaman’s Mission in Melbourne Australia, the Maritime Museum Auckland New Zealand, and are negotiating with a number of other such places with a maritime background in the hope we may place more.

It would greatly assist the concept of promulgating the history of the British Merchant Navy if somewhere in your refurbished establishment you could find a suitable spot to hang one of the flags. All seamen, past and present, would consider it a great honour to have a flag hanging in an establishment with such a strong connection to the Merchant Navy and it’s many crews, and consider that such an item would be of great interest to customers both old and new.

With the association the Juniper Berry has with Southampton, its shipping history and the history of the crews who sailed from there, there could not be a more fitting place to hang one.

We therefore respectfully ask that you give consideration to our request that a flag representing the British Merchant Navy be given a place of honour in the Juniper Berry.
    We remain respectfully yours
    Ex B M Navy Personnel
    Worldwide

PS If this proposal is accepted by you,then a Full Size Flag will be sent to you from Mr Mike Hall ,Maidstone Kent,and I will follow up later with a Laminated Copy of my Flag.
    It is also my hope that another Flag or possible Pennants will be sent by the Original
    Person who instigated this whole concept of making something that would keep the Merchant Navy Alive. His name being Peter Murphy from Queensland Australia.
    Here he is seen with one of our Members holding the Flag he made the first one
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Soon be away!

Well the Documents etc will soon be Winging their way toward the United Kingdom,and aimed at the Juniper Berry Southampton!
    Go with pride i say!
    All the best Lads,and i will keep you in the Picture as things progress if at all ??? No not negative just a bit jumpy! haha!
    Heres to good fortune!
    Cheers

Mike get that Flag ready for posting mate
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 13th June 2011 at 04:03 PM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Must try this pub

Hi guys

This pub sounds interesting I wonder how far it is from Southampton Airport, I am going there in July. I shall look it up.

I agree it's a lovely idea and yes you must try. Well done.

Lin x

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Juniper Berry

Hi Lin
    The Juniper Berry is in the Centre of Town right near the Bargate Arch!
    Very east to find,and yes it used to be a very good watering hole for many of the Seaman from all Shipping Companies,UCL Being one of the biggest clientle.
    According to the Mapping Section it is about a 20min Drive from the Airport to Bugle Sreet Southampton!
    Cheers

An old Pic of Bargate,wonder how much this has changed over theYears

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Id love to see the Juniper Berry get a Merchant Navy Flag, it would indeed be History of the Hundreds of seafarers including myself that frequented that hotel. The names of the many ships of the crews that went there would echo in memories of all those good times. all the Best GlennBaker Australia

7. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Indeed!

Yes Indeed Glen it would be so nice to see the Flag/Flags hanging in there!
    Well it was an idea and i hope that something will come out of this!
    I have duly posted all the documents ,so they are now on their way!
    Hopefully we will get a good response !
    Cheers

Items sent

Johns Letter (now laminated as well)
    My Letter (assisted for me by John)
    Printed copies of both Mikes and my Flags enclosed !

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And one in Betty's bar in Glasgow as well :-).

Remember the Juniper Berry fondly as a 16 year old :-)

10. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone who remembers Belfast's most famous sailors bar, DuBarrys, will now be 'mildly' excited to know that a new establishment called DuBarrys is situated on a different site in Belfast. The main difference being is that instead of a clientele of 'ladies of the evening', it boasts more 'blokes of the evening'. Well, some ARE ladies, but prefer not to be called so!
    My, how times change, or do they?
    B
    Fluttering Flag Avatars

http://flaglocker.co.uk/

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up At last a success story!

Well all my good aquaintances and good Friends!
    At last we have acchieved what we were seeking for so long!
    A Flag is to be put in the Juniper Berry Hotel ,as soon as i can get hold of Mike Hall (who i think is on Holiday at this time)
    Mick and Anita have given consent for this to happen,and i am really over the Moon!
    So as soon as i can get that Flag there to them i will!
    What a breakthrough!
    Cheers

Email from Mick and Anita

Original Message -----
    To: <va.macdonald@**********>
    Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 5:23 PM
    Subject: Juniper Berry flag

Good Morning Vernon

We have just returned from holidays so sorry for delay in replying..

We would be proud to put this flag up in our pub, we still do have lots of
    merchant seaman come in and i am sure they will be delighted to see it..

Thanks for the contact.
    Regards

Anita and Mick

My Reply

Hello Anita and Mick
    Gosh that i must say is a great
    surprise,and i am so thrilled that you will allow our Flag to be put up in
    the good old Juniper Berry!

I will get in contact with Mike Hall as soon as i can (he is on Holiday at
    this time) but will get on to him as soon as he comes back!

I will also now get my Flag ready(the Printed one) and send it on to you!
    I know that all the lads on site will be over the Moon at this news!
    May i personally thank you and also on behalf of all the Ex MNavy personell
    here and overseas!
    This is indeed great News and a Milestone for our future Generations!
    With Sincere thanks
    We Remain
    Yours Respectfully

All MNavy ex Seaman and myself!
    Cheers
    Vernon

PS
    If anyone knows when or where Mike Hall is please let me know!

Brian do you know if he is away yet!
    Thanks Vernon

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 10th November 2022 at 08:48 PM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good on you Vernon and all those that have brought about this wonderful occasion in which we have a Flag filled with all out memories names and ships, in the Juniper Berry Hotel. You can rely on it the Patrons will ask about or Flag and about the Names of our Merchant Seafarers on that Flag. my very best Glenn in Australia.

15. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast