Thread: the Ship "Tottenham"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile the Ship "Tottenham"

G'day all, Alan Snashall in Australia again.

I'm looking for information and a photo of the ship "Tottenham" which was sunk by the german Raider Atlantis around June 1941.

Turns out that my mother's brother (Jim Wiffen 1905-1956) and a family friend from Tilbury (Jacko Jackson) were on board when she was sunk.

Amazing statistics when I look at them. Dad (Ron Snashall), Uncle (Mick Snashall) Grandfather (Sidney Charles Snashall) AND now Jim Wiffen were all merchant navy and all survived hazardous service and 2 survived being sunk.

As usual, any assistance would be very gratefully received, either on this forum or to me at asnashall@gmail.com

Regards

Alan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cargo ship Tottenham, 4,762grt, (Watts Watts & Co.) had sailed from the Tyne carrying a cargo of general and military stores and military transport. The ship joined up with the outward bound 41 ship Convoy OB-327, which departed Liverpool on the 28th May 1941. Like most of the OB series of convoys the ships dispersed at a given point and set their individual courses for their final destinations. OB-327 dispersed on the 4th June 1941 in position 52' 42N 22' 18W, with the Tottenham to head for Suez via Table Bay. On the 17th June a seaplane from the German raider Atlantis at the time under the disguise of the Norwegian Merchant ship SS Tamesis sighted Tottenham. After firing a warning shot across her bow, the Tottenham returned fire and sent out an RRR distress message indicating attack by enemy raider. Atlantis then opened up with her full armament and pulverized the Merchant ship. Ordering his ship abandoned, Atlantis fired three torpedoes at the ship with only one making contact and causing little damage. The Tottenham was eventually sunk by gunfire. The raider then proceeded to pick up a number of survivors from one of the lifeboats but refused to look for a second boat after a request from Tottenham's Master. Knowing the distress message would probably be picked up the raider quickly departed the seen. The remaining survivors were eventually picked up by the SS Mahronda eleven days later. The prisoners were eventually transferred to another vessel and ended up at the Merchant Navy Pow camp Milag Nord.

Three of her crew, Francis W. Freemont, Stanley Thwaites & George Jackson were repatriated from Milag in 1943, the remainder were liberated on the 28th April 1945. Unfortunately one of those liberated died just over a month later.

GRAY, Chief Steward, THOMAS LAWES, S.S. Tottenham (London). Merchant Navy. 4th June 1945. Age 37. Husband of Sarah Gray, of South Shields. Buried South Shields (Harton) Cemetery. Sec. L. Grave 9224.
    Last edited by DeepSea; 13th April 2011 at 01:19 PM.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

3. Thanks Evan Lewis, happy daze john in oz, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Ss tottenham

Hi, i have a photo of ss tottenham on trials after launching, if that helps., tony wilding PS there is a photo of her sister ship in the gallery, type in TWICKENHAM ,
    Last edited by Tony Wilding; 13th April 2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: a ps added

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tottenham

Thanks to all, on list and via email, who answered this post for me. Job done

Linda Ashton Guest

Default ship Tottenham

I have been trying to find out a bit more about my mother's brother who survived the sinking of the Tottenham in June 1941. He was only 17 at the time and survived in a lifeboat (?) and was eventually 'picked up by a British ship and landed at Trinidad' according to a letter written by his mother. He was back in UK by August that year, sailing back on a ship carrying 3,ooo canadian troops. I would value any other information about his maritime career. I already know that he went down with the Quorn in 1944. He was a Scot and his name was

GORDON MORRISON PHILLIPs

Grateful for any help.

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Evan Lewis liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Linda
    There was a Gordon Phillips aged 17 arrived back in Liverpool as a DBS aboard the “Duchess of York” 28th July 1941 having boarded in Halifax, he gave an address 7, Park Road Bognor Regis Sussex

Gordon Morrison Phillips age 18 signed on the “Beckenham” as a Cadet with 2 years service in Hull 24th march 1942, the ship arrived in New York 9th November 1942 having sailed from Lourenco Marques 25th September 1942, when the ship sailed again he was left in hospital with jaundice

A Gordon Morrison Phillips appears to have signed on the “Wanstead” in New York prior to her sailing 3rd January 1943
    This may be his seaman's pouch
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...accessmethod=0
    Ray
    Last edited by Ray Buck; 14th November 2011 at 05:32 PM.

9. Thanks Evan Lewis, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Linda
    I’m a little confused as the “Quorn” Was “ HMS Quorn” a Royal Navy ship those that I have cited in the previous post are Merchant Navy
    is there two persons of that Name or did he Join the RN ?
    CWGC :: Casualty Details

Ray

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ss tottenham

Hi linda, there are photos of ss tottenham and ss wanstead in the gallery,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: the Ship "Tottenham"

On 26 March 1943, the Beckenham was damaged by a mine laid by a schnellboot (German Motor Torpedo Boat). Can anyone, please, tell me where this incident took place?

Regards

Ian

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: the Ship "Tottenham"

According to Lloyd's War Losses Vol. II she detonated a mine off the coast of Libya, just over 7 miles from Tripoli and was eventually towed to Malta for repairs.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

15. Thanks N/A, Ian Malcolm thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post