Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Narvik

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Narvik

Watched a film all about Narvik in wW2. Germany invaded Norway but said so long as the Norwegians cooperated they would spare them as they needed the port for its iron ore shipments. The Norwegian army army there refused to cooperate. In 1940, french,polish and British and forces retook Narvik in what is claimed to be Hitler's first defeat of ww2. In retaliation the German air force flattened the town but nearly all of it's citizens managed to escape either by overland or by fishing boats. Throughout the whole time there were two British agents in hiding near the town sending back information to the u.k.
    The film was on netflix and made by Norwegian film producers, so it was a pretty factual documentary film.
    Rgds
    J.A

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Narvik

Thanks John just spotted that in my emails , so that is tonights viewing sorted out. TV is rubbish on a Saturday night. I am that bored I am even watching Spurs V Preston in the FA cup, come on Preston. Cannot stand Spurs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes agree John, it was good production, with great aerial shots especially landing on aircraft carrier, the photography was excellent, and as you say accurate story lines.

Cheers Jamie, Auckland NZ

4. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For those on the Port Talbot ore carriers will know Narvik better than most . One trip over there I spotted a well known Port Talbot lady ashore . I had known her previously by telling her boyfriend to get her ashore before the Dockies came on board in Port Talbot , I was worried on seeing her in Narvik if she had unbeknown to me been ringbolted so to speak. But could not find any proof she had so must have come off one of the other ore carriers. Maybe she needed more seatime for her second mates certificate , but would of thought she would have had plenty by that time. She was very good to a lot of seamen financially during the strike of 1966. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 29th January 2023 at 01:18 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1 watched that movie last night John very enjoyable. I never knew the Polish and French were also heavily involved.
    Good movie and well worth a watch.

I can understand why we pulled out and also why we did not tell the Norwegians we were going (Vidkun Quisling) as the Germans had him in their pockets. He was executed for murder & High treason in Oslo 1945.

7. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    For those on the Port Talbot ore carriers will know Narvik better than most . One trip over there I spotted a well known Port Talbot lady ashore . I had known her previously by telling her boyfriend to get her ashore before the Dockies came on board in Port Talbot , I was worried on seeing her in Narvik if she had unbeknown to me been ringbolted so to speak. But could not find any proof she had so must have come off one of the other ore carriers. Maybe she needed more seatime for her second mates certificate , but would of thought she would have had plenty by that time. She was very good to a lot of seamen financially during the strike of 1966. Cheers JS
    Been to Narvik many times. Sailed on the Port Talbot ore boats ; Crinan , Craigallian , Arisaig , Clarkeden and Gleddoch. Spent the '66 strike there as 3rd.mate on the Arisaig.
    Guess you will also remember the Grand , the Walnut and the Lamb and Flag ?.

Belated birthday wishes by the way.
    Last edited by John Cassels; 29th January 2023 at 01:31 PM.

9. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep forgotten their names . The ships names I recognise, if not seen them in Port Talbot ,heard them at sea on the ore carrier Bisco schedules , forget what channel it was .During the strike of 66 was mate on the Ravensworth and lay in Port Talbot the whole time.wasnt the Crinian. The cadet ship and wasn’t under control of the NUS and free to move.? Cindy was the lady mentioned wasn’t your ore carrier she was off in Narvik was it ? Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes , Crinan was indeed the cadet ship and when I was on her in 1963 she had a normal British crowd. Never had the pleasure of knowing
    Cindy but the name was well known to most Port Talbotians .

Spent the complete strike period tied up at the corner layby - the one furthest from the lock.

Around 30 years later , around 1996 or so , was back there to inspect a panamax at the new discharge berth outside the locks. Apart from
    the Grand which was still there , did not recognise the place. Couldn't find any of the old haunts . All the old laybys were empty and nothing alongside at Margam . Felt really depressing when one remembered what it used to be like

12. Likes Tony Taylor, j.sabourn, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saw the movie last week, good version of true events.
    The people of Norway are a very proud and welcoming race, only some 5 million or so there in what is a most amazing country.

It was way up North that one of the more well known sea battles took place, England 1 Germany 0.

A well established complex there as well with a movie house showing many such pieces of actual film from WW2.
    Memorial plaques to all the various nations that assisted Norway and other nations during the war.

Well worth a visit if you get the chance.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#9 John which battle are you referring to?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast