Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Murphy's War

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Murphy's War

Hanks did this one.

He adapted the Forester novel for the screen.

Several of Forester’s books have been adapted into films (most notably The African Queen)

K.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No one disputes that films are made for entertainment or that Hanks and Wayne are not good at what they are paid to do, but surely there are enough real live people who are more deserving of being nominated for recognition for a particular service rather than a celluloid character, just my view and as such am entitled to express it.

If the US Army wanted a real life hero, then they should have looked no further than Audie Murphy the most decorated soldier (as well as an actor) in real life.

As for analysing, can any real life seaman having sat through a maritime movie honestly say that they have not had a little chortle at the glaring mistakes and wonder who the technical advisor was, yes I am aware of poetic licence.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, even documentaries can be a bit 'off'.
    There are times when those making the doco sometimes put in what they think may have been the case at the time, maybe their concept of the occurance?

But I agree, movies are for entertainment and making money, not telling the facts.

We have a cat by the name of Mr. Murphy, Murf for short, and he is a terrorist when touring the neighborhood.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As you say Uvan, you are entitled to speak your mind, just as we all are, free speech is a fundamental part of our democracy and very dear to my heart,
    so that enabled me to speak my thoughts as well. I agree with you RE: Audie Murphy who was the real deal, but he was a quietly spoken and modest man,
    almost the boy next door, I think the bulk of his movies were westerns and only a few war films, John Wayne on the other hand was big, brash and in the shop window, yep that is unfair but sadly it is the way of life. I understand your sentiments on the other issues but can't see why you take it so seriously,
    I mean it's Hollywood! it's what they do best, I also recognise the howlers that occur in some films but let it go over my head and just enjoy the story.
    Have you seen the German U Boat film "Das Boot" I enjoyed it and have seen it a couple of times, maybe there are some old time submariners around
    that pick out all of the films mistakes and miss out on a good film, One Sunday afternoon in the 60s there was a marching band program on the telly,
    our guardsmen with their Busby's and red tunics marced past led by their brass band, immaculate as always, dad was still singing their praises when
    the Americans band came through, dressed in their very light khaki uniforms looking very casual and belting out "When the Saints go Marching In"
    their marching was full of rhythm and almost as if they were dancing to their own music, that was over 60 years ago and I still think they were brilliant,
    unfortunately dad didn't feel the same and spent the next half hour moaning about "the bloody yanks", I would rather be like I am and enjoy things
    for what they are, rather than what they should be.

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please don't get me started John, I have not taken anything for gospel, especially the newspapers, whose motto is "never let the truth get in the way of a good story", but in truth if the film industry stuck to the true story of behind the films, the film would be over in 30 minutes and they would be out of
    business very quickly, with the wild life you have in Aus I think cats need to be a bit streetwise to say the least, we've got plenty of foxes and some
    bolshie gulls, but that's about it cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, keep enjoying your films, I also enjoy films, although I grown out of those where-in the actor stays still and the background moves. For anyone who enjoys films do not go to Universal Studios in Orlando to see how films are made, yes it is a good experience and the ingenuity in creating scenes is incredible, the burning models in Towering Inferno were so life like, but alas after that every film you watch you are looking for the modelling bits, but I digress.

The submariners I know say that Das Boot was the nearest thing to real life as they knew it in the times. Captain Phillips of Maersk and piracy was not an hero as portrayed, he was sued by the Chief engineer, the second mate and the Bosun on behalf of the crew for 'Reckless Endangerment' for ignoring UN Naval Forces recommended routes on the East Coast of Africa to avoid pirate areas. The 2/m had laid off the recommended courses as prescribed by UN Navitor only to be over ruled by Phillips as no goddamn pirate was capable of boarding his large fast ship and were not going to ruin his schedule and increase costs to his company, he failed to realise that RPG's were much faster than his ship. The 2/m, knowing Phillips, had made notes of the courses and co-ordinates laid down by himself and were produced at the subsequent inquiry. He was an arrogant man and never apologised for putting his vessel and crew in endangerment and was censored by the court, Maersk settled the claims out of court, so not my idea of an hero or a responsible master.

As Oz John says, documentaries are not infallible, neither is Wikapedia, according to the latter the ship I served on was never at Suez in 1956 in the invasion, but believe me I remember it being there, as does the UK Govt and her Majesty and the rest of our crew.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan, Its been proved on this forum in the past, The WWW Is never 100% correct at any time Wikipedia should sometimes be taken as i would say 80% correct and of course its founder has had other things on his mind over the past few years. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Wikipedia is a free online encyclopedia, created and edited by volunteers.

It has never been perfect but a good base for further research, if used all
    should be double checked and not taken as gospel.

K.

12. Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is good to know about Das Boot being a straight up film, I did go aboard HMS THOROUGH in Aus on an open day, I think 1957, she was a WWII T class sub on a circumnavigation voyage, I wouldn't be suited to that life at all, earlier in January 1950 another T class sub HMS TRUCULENT was in a
    collision with a Swedish tanker in the Thames Estuary, she sank almost immediately, she had had a refit at Chatham Dock in the Medway and was on
    her way to Sheerness after finishing trials, there was about a dozen dock workers on board, there was some survivors but many deaths, a lot of sailors
    made it to the mudflats where they froze to death, the tanker had a reinforced bow for ice flows and punched a large hole in the subs side, the sub was
    found to be 75% to blame for the accident. I have heard of Captain Phillips but didn't know the story, no definitely not a hero, hero is a much misused
    word at the best of times nowadays, as for Wikipedia, it does have a bad name for making errors, cheers. PS homeward bound from Aus aboard ORARI we were later told that we were one of the last ships to get through the canal before it all kicked off, so maybe the same time that you were there?.
    Last edited by John F Collier; 16th July 2020 at 08:26 AM.

14. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#30 John we were not transiting, we were in the invasion fleet.

16. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast