Thread: The Outlaw

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Outlaw

This is another of the old great Westerns that hit the screen with a lot of Controversy at first.
    In South Africa it was banned for quite a long time after Screening it for a very short period. It returned to the SA Screens after a lot of cutting,and when I saw it again it was of course never the same!

Jane Russell takes a great part in this Movie ,another Actress that I liked a lot.
    The Music sung by Della Reese "Story of a Stary Night" is just magical ,and I love it,along with many of here other too!

Enjoy! The Trailer at least! Full Movie is also available.
    Fortunately I have the original Version on Tape as said a classic to keep!
    Cheers

Della Reese Clip of that beautiful Song! Running time 2 Min 50secs

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 7th July 2015 at 11:18 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Roger Dyer, Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Outlaw

Hi Vernon.
    Jane Russel The love of my life when I first saw it, and for a while afterwards.
    Cheers des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc',

When "The Outlaw' was made in 1943, much publicity was made of Jane Russell's well endowed figure. Her magnificent looking breasts created a great deal of interest by the public and by the man whose money was behind the making of the picture - Howard Hughes. The publicity surrounding the film carried advertising tag-lines such as ' What are the two great reasons for Jane Russell's rise to stardom?" and other equally salacious blurbs. Such comments wouldn't raise an eyebrow today, but remember this was over 70 years ago, at a time when the Motion Picture Association of America had appointed Will Hayes the to curb the sexual content of films. They declared the film the most erotic seen on the screen for a very long time. It didn't seem to worry Hughes who obviously thought any publicity was good publicity.

In keeping with his normal practice, Hughes, showed a keen but disruptive influence in the making of the film. Clearly, like most adult males in the U.S. at that time, Hughes, had a great interest in Miss Russell's breasts, but in his case it became an obsession (he was, after all, slightly mad). Legend has it that he organised the construction of a specially-built underwire Bra that would show Jane's lovely cleavage to perfection, particularly in the close-up scenes. In later years, Jane always denied she ever wore such a bra'. However, it seems that from such things legends grow.

Rather cruelly, some critics of the time decided that 'The Outlaw' wasn't a particularly good film. That it was even slightly boring and would likely end up on the cinematic junk-heap were it not for Jane Russell's breasts and Howard Hughes obsession with same.

Alas, having never seen the film, Doc', I cannot pass judgement

Roger

5. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For years I have listened to that song without ever knowing it was from that movie, just goes to show how we accept things without bothering to find out where they originated.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes Doc Vernon, Captain Kong, Roger Dyer, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember when it first came out, I went to watch a Cowboy film THE OUTLAW and was refused admission, as I was too young.
    I never forgave that woman on the ticket office at my local cinema. Jane was a young boys dream.
    Cheers
    Brian