Thread: 'Two for the Road' - (1967)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 'Two for the Road' - (1967)

Made in 1967, this British comedy drama was directed by American, Stanley Donen. Don't know how it slipped under my guard first time around, however since first I saw it, a few years ago, it has remained a favourite. The reasons for this are manifold, not only for the chemistry that Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn concoct for the viewer, or the magnificent backdrop of French scenery, but also for the wonderful soundtrack provided by the master of cinema themes, the late Henry Mancini.

The film follows the progress of succesful architect, Mark Wallace (Finney) and his wife Joanna (Hepburn) as they make their way through France on a 'road trip' to St.Tropez, a journey they have often undertaken in years past. From early on we (the audience) recognise a certain tension between them as, in 'flashback', we are made aware of the trials and tribulations that accompanied some of those previous journeys the couple have taken along the same road. We see their first meeting twelve years earlier when, on a cross-channel ferry, a young footloose Mark sees Joanna with several other young girls who are part of a choir on their way to perform in France. When Joanne's companions contract chickenpox, she again meets up with Mark and joins him on his journey south. Romance blooms and later they are married. Another year, they travel with Mark's ex-girlfriend, Cathy (Eleanor Bron),her husband (William Daniels) and their young daughter, 'Ruthie' (Gabrielle Middleton), an unbearably precocious brat of a kid who is hopelessly over-indulged by her father and the permissive complacency of her mother. After some amusing and frustrating moments, Mark and Joanna have had enough and head-off on their own. During a later 'trip' when Mark travels alone, we learn of his careless, meaningless affair with a woman motorist he chances to meet.. Later still, while they are travelling together, Joanna as an affair of her own with the brother of one of Mark's important clients, which appears serious for everybody concerned. Later, to the relief of us all, she realises the error of her ways and scuttles back to Mark.....and so the film continues.

This film has something for everyone. Peppered with some hilarious moments, it also has it's share of sweet, sad, reflection for both Mark and Joanna...symbolic of most marriages, I suppose, however I shall not spoil it all by telling you how it ends. In this, Finney is at his brash, comic, unreasonable, cheeky, best and, for me, Hepburn has never looked lovelier on film. Although there are moments when she looks painfully thin and fragile (she was never a big girl, and this was many years before her tragic premature death), the beauty of her face on the screen is sometimes quite breathtaking. I think her performance in this is one of her very best. American director, Dan Ireland, ventures to suggest that if he was stranded on a desert island and had only one film he was able to watch then it is this film he would choose. High praise indeed !!! Be that as it may, it is certainly one I would not be without and would recommend it to anyone who has not seen it. It can be viewed on Youtube.com free of charge.

In the clip I have uploaded, the theme song is beautifully sung by Monica Mancini, daughter of the composer, Henry. however it does not appear in the film wherein the theme and incidental music is mainly orchestral.

Motoring enthusiasts with an interest in the classic and decidedly unclassic vehicles featured in this film will note that, apart from a tractor and trailer, they include a 1965 Mercedes-Benz 230SL Roadster (nice one), an MG TD with exhaust problems that finally result in it's self-immolation, a Triumph Herald (what on earth were they thinking?), a VW Microbus and a Ford Country Squire.

Roger

Last edited by Roger Dyer; 7th July 2015 at 05:24 AM.

2. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 'Two for the Road' - (1967)

Now I know you may not agree Roger but the term 'one for the road' goes back to the days of Newgate prison. Convicted fellons on the way to Tyburn tree were allowed one pint in a pub on the way, one for the road.

Yes I know this is not the place for it but as usual one items jogs the memory, Roger I beg your pardon if I have rained on your parade
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Now I know you may not agree Roger but the term 'one for the road' goes back to the days of Newgate prison. Convicted fellons on the way to Tyburn tree were allowed one pint in a pub on the way, one for the road.

Yes I know this is not the place for it but as usual one items jogs the memory, Roger I beg your pardon if I have rained on your parade
    Your thought train is positively mind boggling and as for raining on my parade, no probs, mate, you get used to it. Although your comment had absolutely nothing to do with this film, as you rightly and kindly acknowledged, you nevertheless reserve the right to type it, I know. Unreasonably, I suppose, but perhaps I expected more from you, my friend, but I don't think it matters a great deal anyway does it ?, so no harm done. It is beginning to look like this idea of Doc's and mine could well be the 'fizzer' some might have hoped for, still we tried. I'm sure with a little tinkering we can soon convert the thread into a bleeding hearts column for frustrated politicians.. a sort of 'Listen With Brother' if you get my drift........just a thought.

Roger
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 7th July 2015 at 07:21 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A Movie with one of my Favourite Actresses as I have said before,but Alas! this one I have not seen,i will have to look it up on YouTube and download the Full Movie!
    Audrey was such a beautiful and petite Lady,a face that could well have launched a thousand Ships! (Bugger Helen of Troy LOL)

For you John a good spanking mate!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

7. Thanks Roger Dyer thanked for this post
    Likes Roger Dyer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Roger, what would we do without you? You speak wisely, do not take offence easily and are great to listen to, more power to you arm mate.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks Doc Vernon, Roger Dyer thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post