Thread: West Side Story

gray_marian Guest

Default West Side Story

Would be amazed if anyone on here hasn't seen this film so a brief synopsis is all that's required

The story is set in the Upper West Side neighbourhood in New York City in the mid-1950s, an ethnic, blue-collar neighbourhood. The musical explores the rivalry between two teenage street gangs of different ethnic backgrounds.

The members of the Sharks, from Puerto Rico, are taunted by the Jets, a Caucasian gang. The young protagonist, Tony, a former member of the Jets and best friend of the gang leader, Riff, falls in love with Maria, the sister of Bernardo, the leader of the Sharks. The dark theme, sophisticated music, extended dance scenes, all focus on their social problems. One of my favourite clips with the song "Gee, Officer Krupke" is a comic scene and a joy to behold as is the endearing one between Maria played by Natalie Wood and Riff by Russ Tamblyn.

West Side Story (4/10) Movie CLIP - America (1961) HD ...

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 3rd July 2015 at 05:40 AM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: West Side Story

Based on Shakespear's Romeo and Juliet, my favourite movie of all time. First saw it in Sydney way back in about 64, have a copy now almost worn out.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, Braid Anderson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes indeed a really good one this,and with my all time favourite Actress then,Natalie Wood.What a beauty!
    Wont stray off this Clip but she acted in a few really good ones !
    I will post my favourite!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Marian,

During the summer of 1959, at Her Majesty's Theatre, Haymarket, London, I saw the London production of 'West Side Story'.....and was spellbound. The music, dancing, costumes, colour, the whole production captivated me...it was brilliant. In this production, George Chakiris played the part of Riff, the leader of the Jets. The part of Anita(Bernardo's girl) normally played by Chita Rivera (who played the part in the original New York production) was on this occasion played by film actress, Rita Moreno.

In the 1961 film, Russ Tamblyn played Riff whereas the part of Bernardo was played by George Chakiris (seems George had an identity crisis ), and again, Rita Moreno played the part of his girl, Anita). ....all very confusing isn't it ?

At the 1962 Academy Awards 'West Side Story' had 11 nominations and won 10 Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor (George Chakiris) and Best Supporting Actress (Rita Moreno).

Roger

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post