Thread: Hobson's Choice

gray_marian Guest

Default Hobson's Choice

A Masterpiece of Lusty, Gusty, Rowdy Entertainment" Beware the wrath to come, set in Salford in the 1880's a favourite film of hubby and myself.

Meaning

No real choice at all - the only options being to either accept or refuse the offer that is given to you.

Henry Hobson runs a successful bootmaker's shop. A formidable widower, a character with a weakness for the pub opposite, tries forcefully to run the lives of his three unruly daughters. When he decrees 'no marriages' to avoid the expensive matter of settlements, eldest daughter Maggie rebels and sets her sights on Will Mossop, Hobson's star bootmaker but Mossop is a rather weak and timid man. However strong willed Maggie the eldest daughter, who is on the shelf at 30 decides "he'll do" and they set up in competition, she then sets her mind to helping her sisters marry their chosen partners.

"In Salford it's the time of revolution. The revolution is not industrial but feminine. The film shows how the strong females come to the fore in shaping their own world at a time when it was frowned on. Behind the boots and clogs are individuals who must also be determined and strong in a society that gives them little credence. Keeping the humour it also shows without fantasy the life of the Salford folk and the social connections and customs that gave their life order, until they were challenged and eventually changed. "

To sum up what were the distinctive qualities of the main individuals I asked hubby how he would describe them, thinking along the lines of behind every successful man is a assertive woman he responded 'doesn't matter how stupid you are, just keep going and you'll make it ' ..........well it made me laugh.

Directed by David Lean. With Charles Laughton, John Mills, Brenda de Banzie, Daphne Anderson and a young Prunella Scales.
    Last edited by gray_marian; 1st July 2015 at 11:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Re: Hobson's Choice

Had seen that one and also enjoyed it Marian
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hobson's Choice

I have asked that this Forum be kept to the Movie Clip only!
    I have therefore moved the replies that don't really relate!
    Please!!!! try and stick to the Movie!
    Thank You

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/s...-good-bad.html

R697530

5. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    gray_marian Guest

Hi Doc, Could you please run the rules past me again as I was under the impression going by the replies on other's films that as long as the responses were, in essence, regarding the film posted, that was allowed? Or, are no replies allowed?

Sorry to be a pest but it seems a tad rude not to answer if a response is merited?
    Also what thread are the current replies in as they still appear to be in situ.....and not for the first time

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Of course one can reply to a Thread on the Memorable Moveis.
    However I would just like to keep it actually in line with the Thread,and after reading the replies thought that if left it could well veer off on another avenue!
    That is why I also moved your post which was then the last one!
    Just trying to keep it on track Marian,as you know how easy we all can veer !
    Here is the Link for Rules

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/m...rum-rules.html

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/m...lt-anyone.html

Link to the other replies here!

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/s...-good-bad.html

R697530

9. Thanks N/A thanked for this post