Thread: 'Picnic' (1955)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 'Picnic' (1955)

In 1955, at the age of 37, William Holden starred in the Columbia picture 'Picnic' opposite the 'scrumpy' Kim Novak (she was just 22 at the time) It was to be the last film of his contract with Columbia which he was keen to put behind him.. Some critics suggested that because of his age he'd been miscast in the role of Hal Carter, a former college drop-out down on his luck, who drifts into a small mid-west town one 'Labour Day' weekend and, without really trying, has an explosive impact upon the local townsfolk, especially Madge (Novak) who really has the hots for him. Some of the scenes with Madge exuded a certain sensual passion (which shouldn't surprise any red-blooded male). Personally, I think the critics were unkind and I think his performance just manages to come down on the side of believable.

Perhaps, the film will not be found in the lexicon of 'great' movies, however, it is not without merit and indeed won two of six nominations for an Academy Award. The performance of Rosalind Russell was most convincing and for me was the standout acting achievement in the film. Her portrayal of a frustrated 40's something schoolteacher, eagerly seeking the great love that has always eluded her is, IMO, a classy piece of acting. In this she was ably supported by Arthur O'Connell, who played her long suffering boy-friend, Howard. Also of note in the cast were Susan Strasberg, Betty Field and Verna Felton, who played the darling Mrs.Potts, the very essence of everyone's favourite grandma.

Having said all that, the film shall always remain a favourite of mine, if only for the music and dance sequence between the two stars which, 60 years ago, someone described as the sexiest movie scene wherein the participants manage to keep there clothes on. Poor old, Bill, couldn't dance for toffee and prior to shooting the scene found it necessary to have a snort or two to steady himself. Little wonder, if the stunning Miss Novak was edging towards me with 'delicious intent' I might have felt the same (lucky b-gger). Above it all, is the music, that superb blending of 'Moonglow' played by a swinging jazz combo -love the piano - and half way through, the smooth introduction of the beautiful, heart-tugging theme. Even to this day, whenever I play this music (which is often), I feel a familiar, nostalgic 'tug' that transports me back to another time when life and living seemed easier, somehow.

Anyway. mates, I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBoMIi8bYc
    Roger.

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 27th June 2015 at 10:42 PM.

2. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sons Of The Desert

I was in love with Kim Novak, I had a girl friend who was the spitting image of her.

Then I got a Dear John Letter off her. She eventually married a shore fella. How could she do that?
    Brian

4. Likes Roger Dyer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

delivered a boat full of jaguar sports cars in 1958 to san fransisco .....xk 120s orsimilar ....on the quay with the tele cameras was kim novak .......after a long run from dagenham via panama she was the unbilievable dream .....they took a couple out of there cases ......she was to much for a galley boy to see in the flesh she posed around them ....a young mans dream.......enough said but i bet i wasnt the only one hard at it...regards cappy

6. Likes Captain Kong, Roger Dyer, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kim is 82 years old now,
    here are photos from 22 to 82 with Plastic Surgery.
    Why don't they just grow old gracefully.?
    Cheers
    Brian.. ....who has just cancelled his appointment with the Plastic Surgeon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 27th June 2015 at 01:47 PM.

8. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Roger Dyer, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sammy Davis jnr and kim Novak had a fling and the producer of one of the big film companies had people from the mafia take Sammy into the desert and had a word with him the love affair was over that night it was a colour thing in them days?? jp

10. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default re: 'Picnic' (1955)

Is that what happened to his eye John did he take it out and give to her to declare his everlasting love. When ordered to give her a wide berth he could only say aye then instead of the usual aye aye. Sailed with an engineer once with only one eye, the good one and the false one always seemed to be pointing in different directions, wasn't many people spoke to him in the finish. Nowadays engineers in my time were getting out of the Industry on the excuse of being colour blind on a full pension. He wouldn't of had any trouble especially if he was colour blind as well. Cheers hope your health steadily improving. John S

12. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Roger.
    Had a mate on the NZ coast who had a big picture of Kim Novak up on his cabin wall, at the same time he was pining for a girl back in Kent, his girl looked the double of Novak.
    Cheers Des
    PS he ended up marrying a Kiwi girl, the fool

14. Likes Doc Vernon, Roger Dyer, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

john he was taken deep in the navada desert and warned he would loose the other eye if he did not take the warning story came out years later?? jp

16. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post