Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MV Loradore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: loradore

Quote Originally Posted by Al Williams View Post
    My father GLYN HUBERT WILLIAMS from Holyhead sailed on her in the fifties. His comments ‘Greek tramp, deplorable conditions, went on hunger strike because of poor and scant food’.
    Would be interested to hear by chance if anyone knew him back in the day.
    Hi Al,I don't know if you're still following this thread,but I just want to clarify that your Dad Glyn might have been on the first LORADORE,rather than the second (1958 built) one in the picture I posted( post # 7).
    I'll put a photo here of the ss Loradore (1).She too in later life was wrecked
    ss Loradore (1)=O.N. 16525, steam cargo vessel of 4,875 grt completed 1/1931 by Readheads,South Shields as LORCA for Strick Line.
    In 1943 she was sold to Michalinos & Co;London. 1946 renamed LORADORE. 1955.Wrecked 13/8/55 on Bird Rocks,Magdalen Island on passage Sydney,NS to Montreal with coal.
    Your Dad's description of her looks like she might fit the bill!.Perhaps the company bought the LORADORE (2) already mentioned previously ,with the insurance money!
    Regards
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 21st May 2022 at 06:40 AM.

2. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MV Loradore

Would guess that photo of her she was under the greek flag ....as i never sailed on a british tramp with derricks up at sea ....many other nations did specially yankees ......love the old counter stern on her .....but she even looks hungry lol R683532

4. Likes Graham Shaw, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: MV Loradore

Yes cappy-'M' on the funnel for Michalinos. And to paraphrase Bill Shakespeare's Julius Caesar;-"Yond Loradore has that lean and hungry look !". Happy Daze John in Oz will like that-he loves his Shakespearian quotes.Just recently he was quoting from Richard II ( Dick 2) something about "this septic isle"

I've often coasted between near ports with derricks up in good conditions,though admittedly only the after hatch derricks- so they don't interfere with forward visibility!
    You never know,in the photo the crew could have been hatch cleaning and secured them while they went for smoko...

Sailing with hatches open though is a definite no-no!,but as we know,it has happened.....

6. Likes thomas michael, cappy liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2