Thread: Maritime Trading & Shipping Co (michalinos & Co

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Maritime Trading & Shipping Co (michalinos & Co

[I][/I] This has got to be the worst outfit I ever sailed in. Joined the "Geogidore" in Montreal, as 2nd Mate. Sep 63. My predecessor was paid off sick,the OM charged him 4/- for 2 gunny sacks for his gear. The food was (as usual) uneatable, & worse there was no beer! Got sacked in Glasgow for reporting vessel infested with bed-bugs & she had to be fumigated.My fault,autopilot u/s, radar- Decca Type10 worn out, Brown Gyro - no mercury-Unbelievable, even then!

2. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default maritime trading etc

Quote Originally Posted by Graham E. View Post
    [I][/I] This has got to be the worst outfit I ever sailed in. Joined the "Geogidore" in Montreal, as 2nd Mate. Sep 63. My predecessor was paid off sick,the OM charged him 4/- for 2 gunny sacks for his gear. The food was (as usual) uneatable, & worse there was no beer! Got sacked in Glasgow for reporting vessel infested with bed-bugs & she had to be fumigated.My fault,autopilot u/s, radar- Decca Type10 worn out, Brown Gyro - no mercury-Unbelievable, even then!
    Count your blessings, sailed on one of Ropner's in the 60's, navigation aids were a sextant and echo sounder, the D/F was kaput, additionally we had a lead line and tallow, and for fog we had that steam whistle, it certainly put your navigation skills to to the fore, especially down west coast of Africa where prominent features were noticeable by their absence, but we managed, but we never went anywhere fast, we used to have parties if we ever reached double figures in speed.

Had just come off another one of Ropner's which had everything a navigator could wish for in the way of modern aids in the 60's, including a good speed, variety is the spice of life!

But must say the food was good on both ships, better than some liner companies I sailed with

Ivan

4. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maritime Trading & Shipping Co (michalinos & Co

Hi I almost sailed on the CASTLEDORE,
    She was brand new, maiden voyage out of Liverpool.
    We signed on in Cornhill shipping Office in Liverpool for a voyage to Buenos Aries and back to Rotterdam, She had a two year contract, coal from Rotterdam to B.A. and Grain from B.A. to Rotterdam. On the Articles we signed it said `A voyage not exceeding two years or until the vessel arrives in UK or Continent.`
    That was OK if she was a bum ship we could get off in Rotterdam.
    We joined the following day with our gear and after dropping derricks we had smoko, then the tugs arrived and Stations fore and aft, in the alleyway outside the mess room I noticed that the Articles were in a glass case and the words "...or Continent" had been crossed out in ink.
    I shouted to the crowd and pointed this out. The Mate was in the Alleyway shouting get fore and aft. No way.
    They have altered the Agreement, The Captain came down from the Bridge, shouting abuse.
    I and a couple of other fellows went down the gangway to a phone in the shed. We phoned the Union and the Shipping Office at Cornhill. and they said to wait. The Skipper going berserk, the tugs were blowing and we were going to miss the tide. the rest of the lads all walked off.
    The Shipping Master arrived with the Union man. The Articles were inspected and the Shipping Master confirmed that the Articles had been altered.
    They had to pay us off with one months wages and then asked to sign on again. No chance My mate, the Bosun, did sign back on. I was in BA six months later on the Urmston Grange and saw him on the CASTLEDORE, He was as sick as a Parrot, he had another 18 months to go.

6. Likes cappy, j.sabourn, Peter Ormiston liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Maritime Shipping & Trading Co Ltd

Greetings one & all,
    Well I guess we all have our own ideas as what is good and bad and have read the two threads regarding the above company with interest.
    I joined my first ship in Graythorpe in November 1957 yes it was the good old "Georgidore" only a couple of years old at that time I eventually paid off her in Venice September 1961, with some leave in between of course, yes four years later, I sailed on her as 5th/4th Engineer and I have to admit that they were some of the best years of my life the reason being that from as young as 12 years old it was my intention to travel and see the world something that I am proud to say that I achieved and what a better way to do it but on a dear old tramp ship, my first trip was 8 months & 2 days memories I shall never forget.
    Now with regards to the food well it was not five star but I didnt complain one bit due to the fact I came off a family of fifteen and beleive me in those we were always hungary no fridges/freezers/cupboards full of food, and take aways that most of the young ones live on these days, going to restaurants was unheard of so you can imagine on joining the "Georgidore" I was served up with a choice of porrige/cereals a full english with toast and jam/marmalade I had never ate so good in my life and of course a three course lunch/evening meal, there was of course a few that complained but but you will always get that even by todays standards.
    I think the second trip on the "Georgidore" we had an old second from I think the Kent area not only did he complain about the food but everything under the sun he was disliked from the Captain down over.
    One story he told about when he was on leave he would go to the pub but when he got in his wife would be in bed and his old faithfull dog was there to greet him, my reply to that was well if you complain/winge at home as much as you do here theres no wonder she was in bed this was in the lounge at lunch time everybody clapped and cheered, he didnt like that one bit and had the knife for me after that.
    Best wishes to all members,
    John Aspin (R685343) Ormesby-Middlesbrough (ex Liverpool)

8. Likes j.sabourn, Peter Ormiston liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Maritime Shipping & Trading Co Ltd

Trying to remember you John Aspin, I also paid off the Georgidore in Venice in September 1961 after getting the British consul involved over the state of the living conditions, rusty water etc. I was the 2nd steward and looked after the chief engineer ( with his comb over hair style ) I had spent the previous 5 years sailing with Shell tankers which were luxury compared with the old Georgidore. I think I wanted to see more ports than one got to see on tankers. and to spend a bit more time than 12 hours tied alongside to discharge or load.

10. Likes Captain Kong liked this post