Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Dhobi Jack'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 'Dhobi Jack'

A few postings back there was a question asked about Dhobi Jack and did anyone rememebr him. I spoke with my mate here John Regan who well recalls him. John was on the pool at the time with Manchester Liners and told me hae was the same ashore as at sea. John still gets the company regukar newsletter and he has been told that he nad his mate in U.K. are now the oldest surviving M.L. crew. John is in his 80's now.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Gulliver Guest

Thumbs up Manchester Liners

Website(mentioned by member John Sutton in a previous thread ) is here:

manchesterliners.co.uk/chart.htm

So Let's Hear it for Manchester Liners,then!

Gulliver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red face Brian Willoughby

Sailed once with M.L. and Dhobi jack was part of the crew on that particular trip. An 8 weeker to the East Coast of the States first week in February 1965 and paid off on Easter Monday. we took MR. SMITHS boat out to Miami. I was the messman on that trip.I try to recall many of those crew members but unfortunately time makes a mockery of rhe old memery. If I real a few christian names off,perhaps some of you may help me recall.

1 A guy known has WALLY,possibly engine room or Deck.

2 Paddy, the big ex-boxer.Had his son sail with him.

3 Ray, the chief steward

4 2nd steward was a certain Mr. Sparrow.

the second cook was called Liam

On the matter of Dhobi Jack I often wonder if he is still around. His obsessional behaviour caused his hand to be perminently raw. I diidn't fully understand Jacks problem in those days but from a professional perspective the poor sod must have gone through hell in his life.

Socially, I also remember the guys taking me round to the Clews on Easter Sunday for a live show with the Gay guys. How times have changed.

Does anyone remember John ??? He had a limp, was in the catering dept and I first met him while on the Baskerville. Kind Regards Brian W.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jack Lomax, aka Dhobi Jack was a very old friend and neighbour of mine. He lived not 200 yards from my house , just around the corner. He lived with his sister in a council house in Bolton Lancs, I never sailed with Jack but we always met up when we were both on leave together.I had known him since the 1950s.
    He was in the Royal Navy during the latter days of WW2. then he joined the MN, He sailed on Manchester Liners as AB then as regular Bosun mostly on the smaller lake boats , the Faith and so on.
    I last saw Jack in the 80s He said he had had a heart attack and was on sick leave, I told him to go to the Dreadnought Seamans Hospital in Greenwich. I went away on an Esso Tanker for six months and when I returned his house was empty, no sister , no Jack. then another tennant moved in. I have never seen or heard of him since. I PRESUMED HE HAD DIED THEN.
    `Trader` has sailed with him.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 2nd December 2010 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dhobi Jack

I never sailed out of Liverpool but I remember hearing stories about a gay fireman from there called Johnny Linus. Apparently if you didn't respond to his advances he would knock seven bells out of you until you did.
    Or ir this another one of those nautical myths ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Johnny was a real character, a big hairy coal burning firman
    What you said was true
    But I never had anything to do with him.
    I last saw him in the Queens pub on James Street in Liverpool he was in a wheelchair and living in an Old Folks home. That was in 1976.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Jack Lomax.

Hi John,

I sailed with Jack Lomax (dhobi Jack) on the "Manchester Fame" in 1964 and did several trips on the Great Lakes with him in fact we were watchmates. We were on the Montreal, Toronto, Hamilton, Detroit and Chicago run and sometimes did some of the smaller ports. A great little ship, Lakes in the summer and Medi in the winter running to Malta, Cyprus and Israel.

Jack was a good hand ex. RN as stated by Brian (Capt.Kong). He was always immaculate even when we were overhauling topping lifts and must have spent a fortune on soap powder. He always had a bucket in soak in the bathroom. I did ten years on and off with Manchester Liners and left them in 1965 and lost touch with Jack but met Capt. Kong on another site a couple of years ago and his name cropped up again.

Like your old mate John Reagan, I am also a member of Manchester Liners Old Shipmates and get their newsletter twice a year.

Brian,

Which Manchester Liner were you on? I didn't understand your commennt about MR.SMITHS boat.

The Wally ??? you spoke about could have been Wally Totty a bosun from Wakefield

Ray the CH/Steward must have been Ray Camilleri from Manchester. A big man, the gentle giant who I sailed with on several ships. Unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago.

Paddy the boxer could have been Charlie Docherty who also was a bosun. I don't know about his son though.

I don't know about the others, as you say it is a long time ago. I remember the Clowes, it was pulled down years ago. You wouldn't recognise the docks nowadays it is all luxury flats, bars, restaurants, museums and theatres with not a ship in sight.

All the best.............Alec.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Captain Kong you mentioned the Dreadnaught Semans Hospital in Greenwich. I was sent there in 64 to see about a Hernia operation. I had heard about the 'picture gallery' but when I saw it I went back to my own G.P. and asked for another hospital, thankfully he got me into Lewisham. Heard some awful stories about that hospital in Greenwich, is it still there?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Happy,
    I had a couple of operations in the Dreadnought in Greenwich.
    Best time I ever had.There were many in there with hernias, and we laughed so much the guys were busting their stitches every day and having to be sewn up again. the biggest crowd of commedians I was ever with.
    I was having such a good time there I asked to stay an extra week no probs.
    The nurses were fantastic too. They made a lot of allowances for Seamen knowing we were all half mad anyway.
    Second time I went in there I kept my clothes with me and in the afternoon and evenings I would take my clothesto the bathroom , get changed and go through the window , down the fire escape to the pub across the road have a few pints then get some carry outs for the lads. back up the fire escape ladder get changed and we would have a party with the nurses. Bottles of Rum for the Barbadan nurses.
    One night on Christmas week We were dancing with the nurses when the Matron charged in, Nurse Miss `Piggy` was lying on my bed smoking , we all scattered , I dived on my bed, hit Miss Piggy she fell out and rolled under the next bed. The screams out of the Matron were terrible. She was built like a shore Bosun.
    Sadly it closed. and we now have two wards in St Thomas`s facing Parliament. Not the same now as it is part of the NHS and shore side patients use it and no seafaring laughs anymore.

Alec , I was on the Manchester MERCHANT IN 1961

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dreadnaught Seamans Hospital

Captain - In October/ November 1950 I paid off the Port Dunedin and booked in at Greenwich. I had had my tonsils out in Wellington NZ and as it was a botched job I had to have it fixed.

The ward was about the same size as Wembley Stadium and the Matron was a Polish woman, built like a battleship with a voice to match. She was tough but there was a kindness in her strict discipline. I really enjoyed the stay there and as you say, there was a lot of fun with the other patients and nurses - not so good as you had, unfortunately.

We used to draw sketches and write ditties and one was:

Whilst recovering from an illness I was terribly annoyed,
    For the toilet was denied me and a bed pan was employed.
    I much prefer a thunder mug but that was out of scope,
    Matron said - now listen, son, this pan's your only hope.
    Etc, etc.

This was under an appropriate sketch. When I went to her office to arrange to go to Angus Convalescent Home it was pinned up on her wall.

After Dreadnought did you get to Angus Convalescent Home run by The Seamen's Hospital Society out at Cudham, Kent, near Biggin Hill airfield. That was really living it up - here are some pics.
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 3rd December 2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: should not have put quotes
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast