Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 'Dhobi Jack'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Manchester Liners

Often went up the "Sweetwater Canal [" As the Salford Pool, boys referred to it) ,to Irlam, with the Ore carriers.
    Some of the names that i recall (50's -60's) In particular three A.B's who were great mates and often sailed together, mainly on the liners or the occasiional Prince boat.Pete Smith ,John ? believe from St. Helens,And big Mac, from the Scottish Islands, Stornoway perhaps. Though domiciled in Manchester.Great shipmates always good for a laugh. Pete Smith going round our individual cabins ,(before Cpt.s Sunday morn. inspection) awarding prizes for the Best kept, Two other A.B's of that era who'd sailed with them were,notably Paddy ,who round xmas times apparently ,got a job on the waste boat that ran down the Canal ,to I presume, the irish sea, to discharge cargo. I used say to him, "bet you had an extra trip, Boxing and New years day?'"
    The other A.B.referred to was next cabin to mine,a real nice Chap ,well spoken obviously good
    education .Tragic, as he seemed to be battling some Demons. Would drink by himself.And did not sleep well, shouting out at night. and turning to practically exhausted.Though always polite and pleasant.
    Had some great Cooks too from the Salford Pool.
    The downside of Irlam,was storing the ship,from near the Works, to be carried across about three sets of rail lines .
    Cheers.

john sutton Guest

remember pete smith.some other notables dale greehalgh,spike bray,vic nelson ned lambert the bosun bill avril who extrad in the film moby dick.there are a few others whose names escape me
    john sutton

john sutton Guest

mr smiths boat was called mrs smith and he entered it in the round britain race in about 65.his co-pilot was a client of mine called jeff allen.he was the one who first told me that it was like standing in a shower ripping up fivers.no doubt he didnt origonate the saying as i have heard it mant times over the years.mr smiths club was called mr smiths and it was the best known club in manchester at the time
    john sutton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref Post #16

Hello there Brian,

I had left Manchester Liners when the Renown came out and had moved down to the London Pool (Dock street) . I cannot recall the guys that you mentioned. The only Albert that I knew was Albert Kenyon and he certaintly wasn't a nervous type, he finished up Bosun on Manchester Liners. I sailed with him in later years on the Baltic Viking sailing out of Manchester.

Thanks for clearing up the MR.SMITHS involvement. I drank in Mr. Smiths (the night club) many times in the early 60's. Off Cannon St. down the stairs, I knew Ted the doorman and the beer was half a crown a pint.

Regards ..............Alec.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 6th December 2010 at 03:55 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pete Smith and McMud.

ref post #21

Hello Evan,

I remember Pete Smith and Mac. well. They were good mates and always sailed together, as you say Mac. was Scottish and his name was MacGraham but always known as Macmud for some reason.He made his hone in Salford and was well known amongst the seafaring community and the Salford pubs (Clowes)etc.
    Unfortunately I have lost contact with Salford so cannot tell you much about their whereabouts.

I know what you mean about Irlam steel works and storing the ship. I joined the "Orelia" and the "Kyle of Localsh" there. What a pain,

Regards .....Alec.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 6th December 2010 at 03:56 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Vic Nelson

ref post #22

John,

We have spoken before . Vic Nelson was a mate of mine but have lost touch.I remember Ned Lambert and his brother Danny and Bill Avril also. See my post about Pete Smith and Macmud.

How are things in Spain.?.

Alec..
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 6th December 2010 at 03:57 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Prostate Cancer

ref post #14

Richard,

Why don't you say that you have got prostate cancer. You have never mentioned it only saying that you are Gleason 9 on the scale. I was diagnosed 12 months ago with a Gleason sclale of 8. I was caught early and only have to have an implant every three months and hopefully it will keep things at bay. I have a blood test every three months and the scale is going down.

Like Richard I was peeing a lot at night time and mentioned it to a friend of mine on holiday in Greece and he advised me to have a PSA bloodtest. The test was high and it went on from there, biospy up the bum, confirmed it was cancer but hopefully I am OK with my three monthly implants and no radiotherapy needed at the moment.

Regards...............Alec.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 6th December 2010 at 03:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dhobi Jack

REF POST #27

Alec,

Yes indeed, prostate cancer. I was diagnosed three years ago with the same biopsy as you have had. The urologist indicated that I should, in view of my age keep it under Watchful Waiting. The problem was that I had a rebore that ended up as a permanent supra pubic catheter for the past two years. Last year I thought bu**er this and told him I wanted some action taken. He told me to get a bone scan to see if it had spread there and book into the Cancer Care Centre. Best move I made. It hadn't spread. After radiation I was put on four thee month injections of Lucrin (hormone) which completed last September. My PSA was down from 23 to 15 at the end of radiation and dropped to 0.04 three months after the first jab of Lucrin and is still down. I'm certainly interested to see my reading for February which is the next check up. I'll be 80 then and I ain't complaining - not even about the Lucrin!.

Alec, mate, I took up on the earlier posts as I wanted to get the message across that check ups are vital if you want to stay around. If just one of our shipmates is saved by seeing our experiences it has been worth it.

All the best to you, Alec.

It happened to be on the interesting Thread of Dhobi Jack and I apologise for crashing in on it fellers - but I enjoy reading your posts of sailing up the St Lawrence. I lived in Toronto 53/54/55.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 6th December 2010 at 04:02 AM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

9. Thanks Trader thanked for this post
    Likes Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Prostate Cancer

Hi Alec........Sorry to learn that you, too, are a member of the P.C. 'Club'. Having opted for the implant treatment, things appear to be going well for you and I hope will continue to do so. Here in Oz, that particular treatment has proven very successful for many and is, I believe, highly regarded as a treatment option by most urologists. Unfortunately, that form of treatment in Australia is cost prohibitive and unless you have had the good sense to obtain private health insurance cover, it is not an option for the average person. As a pensioner there are many generous allowances, one of which is free general health care (including prescriptions at greatly reduced cost). That said, there are some treatments and procedures not covered under the 'general health' umbrella, one of which is the implant treatment for prostate cancer.................. ....... When first I learnt that I had prostate cancer I felt that I had been given a death sentence. For a couple of weeks I walked around in a daze, but, thankfully, that wore off and I started to feel normal again. Alec, as both you and John would know, urologists will explain the nature of the treatment options available, but the decision must be your own. My PSA reading was quite low (only 4.2) and rightly or wrongly, being an abject coward, I took the 'watchful waiting' option. For the uninitiated amongst us, after a biopsy, this option usually involves no treatment other than a three-monthly PSA blood test to monitor the condition and, perhaps, a yearly biopsy. For some, a biopsy can seem a little undignified and sometimes be a bit painful, but I've been told that for many it's like rolling off the proverbial log. Then there are about 10% of patients who find the experience very painful. No prizes for this, but guess what group Y.T. belongs to. Shortly after the commencement of the biopsy the urologist and his assistant had considerable difficulty clawing me down from the ceiling Over the following two years, after initialling dropping to 3.8, my PSA reading hovered from there up to 5.2., which as you know, Alec, is not very high. It was about this time that my urologist informed me that he would like me to have a biopsy every six months, which I thought a bit excessive. I sought the advice of another urologist who I felt more comfortable with. I continued with the 'watchful waiting' for another year until finally my PSA had risen to 8. Following another biopsy (which was virtually painless), the time had come for me to decide what further treatment I was to have, (a) Surgery (b) radiotherapy, or (c) chemotherapy (which in my particular case was not really an option). For financial reasons, implants (probably the most effective treatment) was not a course of action I could take. Eventually I decided on the radiotherapy. Like John, I attended the Cancer Clinic at Penrith where every week-day for eight weeks I underwent radiotherapy. The actual treatment only takes about 5 mins. and is painless. The repetition for 8 weeks can be boring, but in my case, and I think John would agree, the nursing staff and radiologists were brilliant, very professional and so very friendly. Each visit became a social occasion rather than a medical appointment. A month after the radiotherapy I was told that my PSA was down to 4.1 and that over the next 18 months, hopefully, it will drop down below 1. I shall know more in Jan.2011 after my next visit to the Clinic. As with all treatments of this nature, there can be some after effects, but so far, so good. Anyway, Shipmates, the reason I've prattled on so is not for the benefit of Alec or John, for they probably know more about it than I do. Brian (Captain Kong) is the father of a doctor who has convinced him of the need to keep a regular check on things and, as a cancer patient, all I seek to do is stress upon all you good blokes to do likewise. Don't think of it as an inconvenience, think of it as an essential for continuing good health. Yes, for us fellows prostate cancer is not a nice thing to have (aren't you girls lucky, but then you have all the other nasties don't you?), but, contrary to what I thought, it doesn't necessarily have to be a death sentence. We don't want to lose any of you before your time, so please do yourself (and us) a favour and go and get that check-up. If you don't, what have you got to lose? - only your life...........best regards to all, Roger.........p.s. be happy!
    Last edited by Roger Dyer; 6th December 2010 at 08:22 AM.

11. Thanks Trader thanked for this post
    Likes Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best wishes and hope for the future lads. As you say everyone should keep on checking,
    Most ailments can be cured if caught early. I am off to the Doctors next week for my annual Check up.
    Last year my Doctor said I do not need anymore PSA checks,because of my age 75, I do not need anymore, [ thats because it comes out of his budget ]
    This year I am having one, it is my body not his.
    If this thread does get just one man motivated to save his life then Dhoby Jack would be proud.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast