if I was in a seamans pub and anybody mentioned
    his name, a dozen people knew of him and had a
    few tales to tell.
    Peter (Pat) Baker

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Richard, No I didnt go there I must have done my weeks convalescent in the Dreadnought as I had asked for extra time on the ward and stayed another week.
    It really was a good place to have an operation. My Surgeon was Mr Ahmadi, he was from Harley Street and was King Hussein of Jordan`s` personal Surgeon, they donate one day a week to the Dreadnought, an old custom for the Charity for Seamen. Unfortuately he died before I left the hospital.
    I have been to the `new` Drednought in St Thomas`s just as a day patient.
    I went because I had a large freckle growing on my face so I had it checked out there. The Nurse said Take off all your clothes, I said I have only come for this freckle on my face. She says Get all your clothes off the lot. I says , you mean Naked , yes get em off, and lie on that trolley.
    I stripped off completely naked, lay on the trolly, then suddenly I was surrounded by six Nurses all looking down at me. The old `John Thomas` was shrinking by the inch. very embarrassing, I said He`s not always like that. The nurses were giggling.
    Then the Lady Dermatologist came in and had a look at me, "What a disgusting unhealthy skin you have, I said its great I am bronzy, having just paid off after five months in the Gulf.
    She says turn over , I turned over bare ass showing to the nurses, there is another one there on your back. You Seamen are stupid, your out in a tropical sun all day for years, keep covered up. you have the beginnings of a skin cancer.
    They took me into the Op Theatre and she cut out the two and sewed them up.
    So it was worth the embarrassment with the Nurses to find them intime.

The usual place to go to is the Springbok Farm for recuperation They have a real good place there, good accommodation and a bar and also there is a reunion there very April from the Vindi Boys Association.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dhobi Jack

I remember seeing Johnny Linus in the Dart or the Duckhouse inLiverpool about 1960.He had a dog with him which had a ribon bow around its neck.There was no such word as "Gay" at the time and Johnny said"The Dogs Queer aswell you Know" He sent his drink back saying it was greasy and "Bad for Miss Fontaine's stomach" He was the Queen.
    Regards
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dhobi Jack

Captain - You've touched upon something that is really important to seniors.

For a couple of years I would mention to my doctor that to keep getting up in the middle of the night for a piddle was driving me nuts. He would take my blood pressure, give me my flu jabs or whatever and send me on my way. One day over three years ago I told him to get a rubber glove on and check out my prostate. Oh! he says, after he'd finished, we'd better check this further. It turned out I had a full blown Gleason 9 (most aggressive) cancer.

After some pretty hairy procedures I am currently in remission and that's the way I am working on keeping the status quo. I have so much I still want to do and when I go I want go with it and not of it.

I wish my doc had been more diligent and just want to urge all you old - and not so old - codgers that cancer check-ups can be life savers and that procrastination can leave you with a lousy alternative.

Just imagine if you were overseas or whatever and you were in the same position as the one in the attached picture.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Richard what a small world, I knew that home, it was about two miles down the road from a very good friend of the family who had a pig farm there. Never knew who owned it at that time though. Had my hernia operation in Lewisham hospital and the night before the op I had to have an enema as you all did in those days. Screens put around my bed and the enema administered at the same time as the evening meal was being served up. There were a number of guys who were not at all impressed by the odour and noise coming from my bed at tea time.
    You are right about check ups each year. I have a full blood test done once a year including prostate, liver, kidneys etc, so far so good and perfect blood pressure. Doc tells me I am in better shape than some half my age.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 4th December 2010 at 05:02 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red face Dhobi Jack

Many thanks Alec for the reply. First, the vessel I sailed on was the RENOWN , a lovely ship.Second, the private boat I refer to was one which was owned by Mr.Smith a night club proprietor in Manchester and on the day of it being loaded there was a huge drinks party for Mr. Smith and the whole of the Coronation street actors.

Also, I clearly remember a nice character who I think was in the engine room,an elderly guy, always with a cigar in his mouth who answered with an American accent of " Mighty fine Mighty fine"

other memorable characters were guys called Dave, an A.B, and Albert quite a nervous type often depressed but neverthelessl a nice feller. A New-Zealander,possibly an A.B.

If I can think of others Alec I will post again. Happy Christmas good buddy and all the best for the New-Year.
    Last edited by brian willoughby; 4th December 2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

7. Likes Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Richard,
    You are right, Have your annual check ups and more inbetween if in doubt of anything.
    My son is an Oncologist, Hepatologist and Gasterenterologist. and at the moment he is urging me to go and have a bowel Cancer check, even tho I have no symptons or reason to. it can be a fast killer. I have had two friends who were fit and healthy and within six weeks were dead. Most of the Bowel cancers are slow growing and can be cured by surgery, if caught soon enough, BUT there is a Virilant form which takes six weeks from the start of symptons to the finish. and is virtually incurable. This test can be done at home and through the post.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dhobi Jack

John - It is a a mall world and and what a beautiful part of it is - and I hope is still - Cudham and that old mansion. It is also good to hear that you are fit and well and not taking any chances.

Captain - Your son is looking after his Dad. In Oz the government bowel cancer kit from the local chemist got a bit fouled up but I think that it has been sorted out.

You know, generally, when we are young we think we are bullet proof, when we are middle aged it only happens to someone else and when we get past our 'best by' date some of us wished we'd been told.

On the brighter side, the radiation therapy at the regional cancer care centre is a course of 8 x 5 day weeks. There was a bunch of us just before Christmas last year and one big patient was a professional Santa. He came in a couple of days before Christmas Eve all dressed up ringing a bell. It created an uproar and as he he was ushered into the zapper room all the staff and patients, in all manner of attire, applauded. Some of us keep in touch.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dhobi Jack

Hi Richard........Wondered if that Cancer Clinic you referred to was the one at Nepean Hospital, if so, old mate, been there - done that. I found the staff there were really good. Anyhow, I do wish you well for the future. Your advice to our fellow members was a timely reminder - check it out whilst you still can mates!.................good luck to all, Roger.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dhobi Jack

Hi Roger - Yes it is and thanks for the good wishes. Hope to catch up with you at Vernon's meeting in the New Year. We'll prove that the Nepean staff are really up to the job. All the best to you.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast