Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Lamport & Holt Ships Pics & Info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Glyn, just browsing and spotted that you visited Recife, as you say, what an eye opener ! Remember the Moulin Rouge and the Chanteclair bars, nowt like that on the dock road in Liverpool ! I was on the ill fated Debrett in 63 when the engine room went up in flames, was on day work down below when that happened, managed to escape through the tunnel and up the aft ladder, the donkeyman wasn't that lucky ! Did have to remain in Recife in a hotel for 3 weeks though which was a bit of a bother !!! Pete Axon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Pete,

I was on the Rubens when we came alongside you in Recife to help. Then during the evening the fire got worse and we had to shift ship rather quickly. Alot of the crew were ashore but got called back by the Police.

Chris.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Glyn. Came across this MN website while browsing through Booth Line vessels and noticed an old shipmate of mine from either the Viajero or Valiente in the late 50's. Dave Neilson who was the 3rd Mate if I recall, but can't get back onto that page where Dave had posted an entry and you were one of the people who replied. Could you refer me to it please.
    I was with Lamport's and Booths for quite a few years starting off on the Rubens IN 1957 as a Junior engineer Then did a few years on the notorious 'D' boats, Devis, Delane, Defoe then went over with the Raeburn to Blue Star for one trip as the Colorado Star.
    Cheers
    Bob Hay.
    Until I get familiar with this site you could email meHERE

Email address replaced with link to preserve your security. You can never be too careful on an open site and a few members have had their email addresses hacked recently. Tony Morcom (moderator)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Jim Brady;53898]I've just had a pint or two

Hi Jim. I sailed on Booth, Lamport and Holt and a Blue Star (ex Raeburn of L+H) none of which had radar.
    I was told that Lord Vestey who owned the lot had radar removed from all his ships after the loss of the Booth flagship the Hildebrand on the River Tagus in Portugal. Blamed reliance on the radar for the loss.
    Might be a sort of Urban Legend but not sure.. He was a bit of an eccentric.

I was on watch at night on the Rubens in London (1957) in the engine room and just managed to get a glimpse of this old guy in greasy coat slipping down the shaft tunnel, and thinking he was an old tramp who'd slid down for a heat went to get him out and turned out to be Your Lordship just checking on the condition of his ship.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The same happened to us on the Rubens ( Ex Siddons ) in Liverpool in 1964, fortunately the Mate at the time recognized him poking about looking in the mast houses and down the hatches.

Chris
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lamport & Holt ships pics @ info.

I remember seeing the Hildebrand 1958 when we called at Lisbon on the Millais,if I remember correctly she was sitting upright.Some lads I have spoken to that were on her told me they all recieved £80.00 a man for their gear irrespective of what you lost or never lost.I believe that was the going rate in those days,was it called "Salvage Money"?
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

read earlier on here about someone on the focsle throwing pebbles ahead to locate obstacles.
    Entering New York once in broad daylight and just for a laugh, our third Mate stood up on the monkey island holding up a broom and rotating on the spot with it to give an impression of a radar scanner.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
    The skipper on the Lassell
    Hi Bobcat. Hope the good Captain isn't reading this. He skippered the Rubens in August 57 when we sailed light ship from London to Montreal to take up a six months charter. I've never seen such a stressed out man. Used to pace up and down the boat deck wringing his hands and mumbling to himself.
    Got worse in one of the West Indies when we over ran the anchorage and ripped a hook off

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default M.V Defoe & R.M.S Hubert

M.V Defoe, what a ship for scavenger fires, always kept extinguishers charged, fridge engineer Willie Spier ? used to shut himself up in the fridge flat to keep the smoke out. B.A great place in the old day's ( no mention of Falklands then, with tanks rolling down the 25 De mayo. Transferred to the R.M.S Hubert, now that was a party ship, Lisbon, Barbados, Belem and then up the Amazon to Manaus.. Great crew of U.K seamen. 1959/60.
    Mike T

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lamport & Holt Ships Pics & Info

Hi Leigh, remember the game well, ankles still saw now.How are you keeping. If you see this drop me a line. Cheers Dennis Larder

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4