Thread: L+H

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default L+H

1968..Got married, then sailed on what was to be my last ship, the MV Devis, as the Radio Officer

Can't remember hardly anything about the Cargo...Sailed from Liverpool to Swansea then to Middlesbrough, where we picked up bulk Cargo.(No passengers=no wine with dinner) Then 20 days to Buenos Aires...Left BA(with passengers..hurrah wine with dinner).We then did many ports on the Brazilian coast picking up a Cargo of timber....final destination London..Anyway a wonderful final voyage. Great memories of a real 12 passenger Cargo ship...

2. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: L+H

Hi Ray, welcome. I would have been 3rd Mate of the Rossini at the time you were on the Devis. We were on a 6 month charter to some French Company and on route to the Red Sea via the Cape of Good Hope as the Suez Canal was closed. We visited ports in the Red Sea and called at Aden, the Reunion Islands and Madagascar in the Indian Ocean. A long way from the L+H happy hunting grounds of Brazil and the River Plate. On the way back we called at Antwerp and Rotterdam where the temperature was minus 13 C big difference from the 100+C in the Red Sea. Finally paid off in Glasgow after one bloo-y awful trip.

Chris.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

4. Thanks Raymond Bisseker thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first trip Romney 16 year old deck boy. £12 per month, four months away, paid off with £40. I felt like a millionaire.
    The start of life and education.

6. Thanks Raymond Bisseker thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Raymond Bisseker, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was R/O on Devis/MQFT March-June 1969. A very happy ship with a good load of chaps. But the scruffiest deep sea vessel I ever sailed on~ but who cared, it was a great atmosphere. It was my first trip to S America and nobody told me to lock the cabin door in port...........all my gear incl most of my clothes nicked!! Expensive trip on Marconi subs!!

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Edgecumbe View Post
    I was R/O on Devis/MQFT March-June 1969. A very happy ship with a good load of chaps. But the scruffiest deep sea vessel I ever sailed on~ but who cared, it was a great atmosphere. It was my first trip to S America and nobody told me to lock the cabin door in port...........all my gear incl most of my clothes nicked!! Expensive trip on Marconi subs!!
    ####les your father on the ss halo when she got mined by any chance regards cappy