Thread: Dublin Bother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dublin Bother

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    John 14#
    Seems a bit of a contradiction there, if the left as you call them are so prevalent in the Netherlands, how come the Right got swept into power in such large numbers?
    Des
    My apologies for the late response but unfortunatly just been held overnight in the local hospital ( second time in 3 weeks ) for
    heart fibrilation problems. But Des in my post #14 , I can't see where I said they were prevelant . These left wing groups eg Antifa ,
    extinction rebelion etc. cause more damage and disturbances way out of proportion to their size.

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John you are correct.
    So very often it is a small group who cause most of the trouble.
    Then here in Oz we get march addicts who will follow any disruption no matter what it is.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Likes j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Then they blame their old man who said follow the band , hence the song. But he also said
    Not to dilly dally on the way which meant not purloining from shops and business ‘s on the passage to heavenly bliss. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st December 2023 at 05:44 AM.
    R575129

6. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These small groups of idiots who give the Nazi salute to start a punch up, should be made to watch what the Nazis actually did before and during the war,which included Australian prisoners of war, may shake their ideas up. Wouldn't surprise me if they had relations in German prison camps, but if it is not on Face Book they wouldn't know.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

8. Likes Ivan Cloherty, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#21 sorry to hear about the hospital bit John, funnily enough I had my fifth fall over last evening , and after lying there for 15 minutes managed to get upright . Wife wanted to call for an ambulance but wouldn’t let her, not going back into hospital if I can prevent it , last time was enough for me , know I said last time I keeled over said the next time I won’t be getting up, but self preservation always rears its ugly head. Hope you haven’t done any damage , assuming you fell also. cheers JS
    R575129

10. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John.
    I think that now is the right time to give up the bottle, the alternative is a third leg.
    Look after yourself mate I always look forward to your very interesting posts, especially the navigating ones.
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

12. Thanks j.sabourn, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Ivan Cloherty, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des I’ve had 2 cans of beer in the past 10 months. Maybe that’s the reason I’m falling over , lack of lubrication. ? JS
    Des as regards navigation you should have taken the opportunity when offered when younger. Navigation and Spherical trigonometry sounds daunting but it’s a sheep in wolfs clothing. The other parts of the certification are mostly all known as the normal practice of seamen. I used to be daunted by others with private education until when up for masters when the question with the big marks was for a composite great circle Liverpool to New York. The usual loud mouth comparing answers afterwards reckoned his answers were correct and I was wrong. It turned out he was wrong , I passed he didn’t.Gave me a whole
    New aspect on ex public school boys and more belief in myself. To hell with others telling you what to do , if you know better. The better only comes through experience . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd December 2023 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Ly
    R575129

14. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#27 for those navigators who used up pages of paper working out a composite great circle sailing with all the different courses and distances, it could be done in 20 minutes by just remembering DLI and going into the traverse tables .
    For those doing running fixes of the sun on the back of old charts, the difference in latitude at noon times the C correction times the difference in latitudes was the correction to apply to apply to your longitude.
    Although this was not the way the BOT,MOT, DTI, expected it to be done it was the way older mariners than me did it in practice, which all comes back to experience. These two navigational problems, the first one was remembering DLI easy for me as stood for Durham Light Infantry. JS… this is off the posts general content so may be removed .
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd December 2023 at 07:52 AM.
    R575129

16. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, you have an incredible memory, i also enjoyed navigation when i took my yacht masters, very very small knowledge in real navigation terms, but today, have trouble remembering my wife's name !!! In some ways i wished i had taken up the offer of South America Saint line, but it would have ben a loss of money, and on reflection 1961, was nearing the **** end of the MN as we all remember it.
    R689823

18. Thanks j.sabourn, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3