Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Breaking news

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Breaking news

#9.. Nah the skipper got that Cappy or something similar . I was mate and got a pink ceramic jug think it was for putting your whiskey in , it has gold edging on and Dalgliesh ‘s house flag and was enscrolled Port Churchill 1964 or 1965 just had a look for it and can’t find so must be in a box stowed away somewhere . Never used it for the whisky prefer it out of the neck of the bottle and not a jam jar. Was a good run that for the crowd because the stevedore were Wolfe stevedores of Montreal and they used to come up to Churchill the boss man that is as local labour the new sounding name for eskimos , and the Indians mostly for labour. Eskimos are now called Inuits if you didn’t know and made a contract with the crowd to pay them stevedores wages if called upon to do their work. He knew the same as me as soon as they got their first days pay they were off to the Hudson Bay Trading post looking for the firewater.So the crowd did well out of it. Only saw the stevedores that first day and never again. It must have been 1965 as wasn’t too long before the strike unfortuanetley I was back on the ore carriers for that and stuck in Port Talbot on the Ravensworth. When I do find it again I will fill it up with whisky and let you know if it tastes any better ... Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #9.. Nah the skipper got that Cappy or something similar . I was mate and got a pink ceramic jug think it was for putting your whiskey in , it has gold edging on and Dalgliesh ‘s house flag and was enscrolled Port Churchill 1964 or 1965 just had a look for it and can’t find so must be in a box stowed away somewhere . Never used it for the whisky prefer it out of the neck of the bottle and not a jam jar. Was a good run that for the crowd because the stevedore were Wolfe stevedores of Montreal and they used to come up to Churchill the boss man that is as local labour the new sounding name for eskimos , and the Indians mostly for labour. Eskimos are now called Inuits if you didn’t know and made a contract with the crowd to pay them stevedores wages if called upon to do their work. He knew the same as me as soon as they got their first days pay they were off to the Hudson Bay Trading post looking for the firewater.So the crowd did well out of it. Only saw the stevedores that first day and never again. It must have been 1965 as wasn’t too long before the strike unfortuanetley I was back on the ore carriers for that and stuck in Port Talbot on the Ravensworth. When I do find it again I will fill it up with whisky and let you know if it tastes any better ... Cheers JS
    aye your a awfy mean harry tate ......guzzling it aaaaall yersen

3. Likes j.sabourn, N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Hear he about to Sue our Government for some 6 Million Aussie Dollars!
    What a life!
    Well if he does win, which I doubt, there should be a proviso that any award must be spent in Australia and the funds cannot be exported or exchanged for any other currency to be transferred outside the country. He could even set up a covid research centre to produce anti-covid tablets so no injections required in the future, believe he has an 80% stake in a Danish company doing just that, but those tablets may not be acceptable to OZ authorities but the OZ tablets would be, then he could bat his little ball about to his hearts content

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#13. Ivan when I came out here in 1991 as a moderately preserved 54 year old, it took me 3 years with being in and out of the country to get 2 consecutive years without leaving Australia or it’s waters. This was to get citizenship. During that time I paid tax on every cent I earned as had no tax file number, paid all dentists and doctors privately as had no health care card. Today everyone one wants to give freebies to those who pay thousands to jump in a boat and claim refugee status .I also had to sign a paper I would not claim anything from the Australian government , it makes my eyes water when today I see how really easy it is to distort the system once you cry me refugee , especially when you know they are as much a refugee as my left testicle , I think I’ve still got one. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st January 2022 at 12:51 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    When ever there is an incident that requires a tv camera, and the reporter interviews the locals, only about one in a hundred can speak English properly, I know that most immigrants head for the Cities they must be all newbie's, at least the kids speak a the Lingo. As for your experience; you should have arrived in a smaller boat, you would have had a Grass Palace now.
    I have posted this before, when I came across from NZ I only had my discharge book, was waiting for my English passport which also had my son's name on it.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, back in those days it would have been a very odd time if there had not been some form of dock strike.
    Even the simplest reason was good enough for them.
    Such as no clean clothes to wear in the cool hold, laundry on strike so now the dockers are as well.
    It was a way of life for most on the Oz docks, better than working for many.

But those days are gone, thankfully and ships now often in and out in a day.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Dennis McGuckin, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16 A lot of this extreminism from these Labour unionists inspired Zealots, was pay back time for past unsavoury supposedly deeds done to themselves. Don’t forget there are also extreme right wing unions also who always seem to have a much lower profile. Unions to most media businesses is bad news as they also have large work forces who they want kept in line. There are always two sides to every story. Any union has the power to cripple any industry if they have the membership and the will to do. My old man who didn’t talk much about politics , one of the few bits of advice he gave to me , and I still follow to this day , was, “ son where ever you go in your life , never forget where you started from, and that the working man is the real backbone of any country , lose him and you’ve lost the country”. This is probably why every business is in such a hurry to bring in automation to cut back on man power because he fears the loss of his own bread and butter. JS

You take any person today with extreme wealth , and the most probable answer as to how he got it , is through others efforts. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd January 2022 at 02:31 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John.
    In the old days, cough cough, there would have been no chance of bringing in the term HR [Human Resources} instead of personnel, but that is the way workers are looked at these days, most with no longer any backbone to fight back, swamped by cheap labour from the Islands or the Philippines.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18 My experience of the cheap labour scenario for my past the post and into jobs which should have been done by Australian persons , was the unions stand when foreign labour got past the post was to fall back on insisting they at least paid the same wages as Australians got. This however seems to have been trampled into the dust as well. As said sometime ago the present cheap labour market is Burma as one of the lower standards of living countries , and one hears very little of how many of this nation are employed outside of Burma. The world today and also in my lifetime seems to have crawled through the exploitation of cheap labour to keep high profit margins.In theory a communist government should be Utopia for everyone, however this is not the case. The only communist government I ever saw that approached anywhere near it was Tito’s government of Yugoslavia after the war years , and this was the impression when living there for a couple of weeks from the natives . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The breaking news scenario at the moment is the posturing in the Ukraine. People before jumping to conclusions about the Ukraine’s past and if not aware of its history should take time to consider why it is so important to some.
    Hitler invaded the Ukraine at near enough the same time as he invaded Russia thus dividing his troops and got caught by the Russian winter which ended that sphere of operations for him and was probably why he lost the war.This is what we are told. A lot of the Russian seamen I sailed with were from the Ukraine and were mostly all pro Russian .What most of us don’t know is how many of the population of the Ukraine are of similar background before jumping to the conclusion that the Ukraine is a little country minding its own business and doing no harm to anyone. Most people all they will see is a big bully forcing a smaller person to his will. Beware of such premises and look under the layers of propaganda starting to show. Look before you leap , going down the wrong path can be disasterous , and is just how hostilities begin. For the country even to be divided like N and S Korea is better than the other option . JS
    R575129

14. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast