Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Observations on France

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Observations on France

HI John.
    You are finding things from your past? My wife has decided to get rid of all the old bills and receipts she has kept and I got the job, these go back to 1972 and includes insurance, lawyers, house purchases, power, and anything else pertaining to living expenses. My room is piled up with paper and of course in the act of tearing them all up I have to peruse some interesting ones, I'll be here for weeks. Might even start my own waste paper depot.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don’t tear up any old fivers by mistake Des. I got rid of some old English five pound notes last week as heard next year the uk is taken them out of circulation , and the 10 pound note is going to be the smallest denomination note. Had a helluva job changing foreign money today as the banks don’t want as no one travelling with the Covus , however there is still one money changing bureau in Perth open. If Cappy sees this he will be asking why I didnt send them to him. However when I find the Indian rupees he can have them , think I have 1 rupee and 6 Anna’s floating around somewhere . Cheers JS
    R575129

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Will arrange to get one to you.

K.

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well there was Lewis with just $10 for his night out with some lovely lady.
    What he fails to tell is how he came by the $10.

Did hear he borrowed it, maybe cappy knows something about that, but when it came time to pay it back he jumped ship.

Now you know why he never goes to the pub to play darts again, never know who you will meet in one.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Cannot remember the last time I played Crib or Back Gammon or even a game of darts.

Still enjoy throwing the arrows, though a bit rusty after what some said would be all over in weeks and preach but seem in reality clueless.

C'est la vie.

Think Ladies superleague is taking over the men's arrows now.

K.

9. Thanks N/A, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    In light of recent events....
    JS..

Going back to #1:

And observations on France etc,
    is 'Gay Paree' still as gay as it was ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4daZPxjojiA

11. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#69 ... That word stagnating is spelt wrong according to John in Oz, Lewis in Ireland , and Q in the MOD in London , all experts on Union Castle Line. The words correct spelling is Stagmating . Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd November 2021 at 08:10 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Some of the best nights on a ship were movie nights, some of the movies were rubbish some not so bad. But the thing was everyone that could, joined in. Last few years it was bolt your dinner down you grab a DVD and head for your cabin and just enjoy your own company.
    Glad I do not have to bother with that all over again. Zero social life more or less the last 15 years or so I did. No bars. Cannot remember the last time I played Crib or Back Gammon or even a game of darts.
    just like the way offshore went

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    HI John.
    You are finding things from your past? My wife has decided to get rid of all the old bills and receipts she has kept and I got the job, these go back to 1972 and includes insurance, lawyers, house purchases, power, and anything else pertaining to living expenses. My room is piled up with paper and of course in the act of tearing them all up I have to peruse some interesting ones, I'll be here for weeks. Might even start my own waste paper depot.
    Des
    I have been doing that for months Des since my old aunty died in June, even found a bill from a removal company when her husband was transferred from Northumberland to Rhyll, £49 - in 1972! be more than 10 times that now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Don’t tear up any old fivers by mistake Des. I got rid of some old English five pound notes last week as heard next year the uk is taken them out of circulation , and the 10 pound note is going to be the smallest denomination note. Had a helluva job changing foreign money today as the banks don’t want as no one travelling with the Covus , however there is still one money changing bureau in Perth open. If Cappy sees this he will be asking why I didnt send them to him. However when I find the Indian rupees he can have them , think I have 1 rupee and 6 Anna’s floating around somewhere . Cheers JS
    old twenty notes are valid till September next year

14. Thanks j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some of the notes I changed were 20s Tony, just as well then .. usually when travelling just put so much on to my credit card and keep it in surplus and then draw out of bank machine , last time in UK think the maximum could take out at one time was 300 quid , so had to go round a few different machines. Previous to that used to use American Express cheque’s. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Observations on France

JS re Yr.#61

I love threads like this-all sorts of conversations going on at the same time-just like at sea.

Derretts-you asked what it was--just to refresh your memory-a bible for most of us from the late 60's onwards.Still published today-but probably authored by a nautical Extra Master,BSC First Class combined ticket holder,a ,25 year old professor whizzkid from Mumbai with 5 years seagoing experience under his belt...... My copy was a cheap Taiwanese 'fake' copy-thankfully the contents were the same-and in English!
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 22nd November 2021 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Double 't' in Derretts !

17. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast