Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Observations on France

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Observations on France

#19. Maybe you’ve been talking to too many B Specials , Keith , the ones I knew arrogance was their middle name. JS

I think the average Englishman and suspect every politician would like Northern Ireland returned to the Republic, I would for one , but politicians can’t be seen to go against the wishes of the people themselves. Give them another referendum and hope they choose to go home and hand their UK passports in. Save a lot of time bother and money , JS ,
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th November 2021 at 01:20 AM.
    R575129

2. Thanks Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#24 I can remember those troopships going through the Suez Canal in the 1950s Brian. The legion de Estrange were mainly all of the troops , the French have always relied on mercenary’s to fight their battles going back to Napoleon days and probably before. However I was told at the time that the desertations by men going over the wall in transit was very high.what their nationality was don’t know and to hazard a guess would appear to some as being biased . They must have known what the Generals apparently didn’t. JS.
    R575129

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Just an observation:

Brittany (/ˈbrɪtəni/; French: Bretagne [bʁətaɲ]; Breton: Breizh, pronounced [bʁɛjs] or [bʁɛx]; Gallo: Bertaèyn [bəʁtaɛɲ]) is a peninsula, historical country, and cultural area in the west of modern France, covering the western part of what was known as Armorica during the period of Roman occupation. It became an independent kingdom and then a duchy before being united with the Kingdom of France in 1532 as a province governed as a separate nation under the crown.

Brittany has also been referred to as Little Britain (as opposed to Great Britain, with which it shares an etymology). It is bordered by the English Channel to the north, Normandy to the northeast, eastern Pays de la Loire to the southeast, the Bay of Biscay to the south, and the Celtic Sea and the Atlantic Ocean to the west. Its land area is 34,023 km2 (13,136 sq mi).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittany#Etymology

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 17th November 2021 at 02:02 AM.

5. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The French put the white flag up in the war, there were Kiwi soldiers among those who lost their lives freeing them, they returned the favour , by bombing a peace vessel in Auckland Harbour, killing a photographer, then the French Govt denied they had anything to do with it, untill the baswards were caught trying to get away. The stupid PM in NZ believed the French when they said that, if the people were returned to France, as one a woman who took part was pregnant, they would serve their full time. they were released from prison very shortly after. I don't like our PM and believe he lied to the French President, but maybe he thought that is how you behave in La Bell France.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

7. Thanks Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#30 France was a divided country Des during the war. Vichy France was more pro Nazi than some of the Germans themselves. A lot of the South American countries were also , as many after the war seafarers will testify as to the authoritarian rule practiced in the likes of the Argentine. Who I am sure would have preferred the war to go the other way as to the results. The likes of the Falklands a lot has been made of, but like N.I. It was put to the people and they wanted to stay part of the UK , it would have been acceptable if they chose otherwise. Britain on the whole has remained true to its commitments , but my view as have said if you don’t like it then leave , and take your brood with you. Cheers JS

Remember that Greenpeace vessel. I always wondered about those vessels and the flags they sailed under , and how many maritime laws they broke blatantly and managed to get away with Scot free. They must have had a lot of sympathetic people in government departments. Relieved a Greenpeace Skipper once off Dover once , but didn’t get time to speak to him as he had one leg over the taffrail and I had mine over also going in the opposite direction , and only thing said was by him the mates on the bridge. Cheers JS

As De Gaulle has now entered the debate, maybe someone could state how he became a General from his status as a bird Colonel of the remains of the free French army. Can’t see any Vichy General promoting him JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th November 2021 at 04:04 AM.
    R575129

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Little Britain could not be more broken than now ?

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 17th November 2021 at 03:12 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DE Gaule stated that as long as he was alive the UK would never be allowed to Join Europe.

As to the reunification of Ireland.

It will take the people to make the choice, not the polis.
    There may be concencus around the border regions but go south.
    The further you go the less likely to find any wo want reunification of any kind.

But as with any country, go into the inner parts and you will find a very different type of person.
    It is usually the city dwellers that re the rudest.

Same here in Oz to some extent, country folk will always make you welcome.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks j.sabourn, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That’s what I said John , it is up to the people and they have declined, the polis as said would probably be too pleased to get it off their hands. At face value have sailed and worked in Ireland and sailed on ships with Irish , and any trouble have seen you can bet your bottom dollar it was instigated from the N.I . Lot . This is an open forum so anyone who doesn’t like others opinions , should keep their remarks about others in the first place to themselves, and not show their up bringings JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 17th November 2021 at 05:52 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Am I correct that it was the British that liberated Vietnam from the Japanese in WW2 and against American wishes handed back Vietnam to French control? Obviously the British also being a Colonial power they defied American
    Very difficult, politically and physically, for the British not to hand Vietnam back to the French, as the French had never left in WWII, the Japanese retained the French administrators, police etc to manage the country when they invaded, the French were quick to accept, why not, their Govt back home had already set a precedent

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#23 Where would you like me to send your "big wooden spoon" ? LOL

Victoria, always nice to wind Lewis up, he's a past master of it on here, but chuck one back it nearly always works !!! kt
    R689823

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast