Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Observations on France

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Observations on France

French people are just like the rest of us. Mind you their diet may have something to do with it....yummy.
    I was told by my old Gran beauty comes from within and can be in the eye of the beholder.
    Keeping happy and engaged with those around you in a positive and fun way helps no end.
    That and taking the time to look after yourself, nothing wrong with a bit of lippy and a good run around the block to liven up the old body clock!!!
    My husband would probably add and a load of mischief! LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Den like me you chose the Irish lass, bloody good choice mate, they are amongst some of the best.

As to beauty Victoria, you are correct beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How the French learnt to cook!!! the Italians taught them

Catherine de Medici from Florence.

The French are up there own a-rse about how good they actually think their cuisine is. Yes some of it is very good. The French remain very ignorant about how good other nations cuisine can be.

They are under the impression the English can only cook roast beef, the Scots eat haggis and the Irish eat spuds, well I suppose some here have the impression that the French eat only snails & frogs legs, yes I know a bit of a generalisation.

Having lived in several countries around the world I would say the UK has some of the best chefs and food variety than most countries. Having once had a rather large empire a lot of countries cuisine was brought back to the UK and I am not just referring to your curry or Chinese take away shops either.

A baguette stuck under a sweaty French armpit a wedge of cheese and a packet of these does not make a great diet in my book ucl fags.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Come to Tassie Lewis. The gourmet capital of OZ.
    Lots of lovely niche producers of fine wines, whisky, gin and of course cheeses and other yummy things like salmon etc.
    They have even put up signs now to direct tourists to all the right places to sample our lovely fare.
    To quote an old tourist ad "where the hell are you?" LOL closest I could find!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The days of the corner chippy ae long gone, though they are still there.
    Now in most cities you will find cusine from just about anywhere across the globe.

If we walk along the main street here in Melbourne you could well consider you were somewhere else, the number of restaurants from so many different countries is amazing.

As to Tassie, here on the big island there is a major campaign to encourage tourists there.
    But there is also one warning of the damage Salmon farming is doing to the island, though the Salmon from there is very good.

French cusine a la Repatoir de la Cusine is rarely seen now, the modern style, much of which is colorful dressing of food is taking over.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A Frenchman once said 'Zee Eenglish cook book only needs one page'

An Englishman retorted 'I found a French book with only one word ........"retreat" I thought it meant have another pudding, turned out it was the French Military Manual'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    The days of the corner chippy ae long gone, though they are still there.
    Now in most cities you will find cusine from just about anywhere across the globe.

If we walk along the main street here in Melbourne you could well consider you were somewhere else, the number of restaurants from so many different countries is amazing.

As to Tassie, here on the big island there is a major campaign to encourage tourists there.
    But there is also one warning of the damage Salmon farming is doing to the island, though the Salmon from there is very good.

French cusine a la Repatoir de la Cusine is rarely seen now, the modern style, much of which is colorful dressing of food is taking over.
    Here in wild salmon country John. We have a saying. Real salmon don't eat pellets.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dennis, There is a lad on FB I used to talk to a lot . He runs West Coast Renagade fishing charters out of Terrence or it might be Prince Rupert. He works his charter boat in the Spring and Summer months the drives a wagon hauling logs in the Winter. He sure does catch some great fish Loads of Salmon & Halibut. He posted a cracking photo a while back of a Sturgeon they caught but but he does catch and release for the likes of that. His name is Curtis Ireland. I have never met the lad but seems to be a genuine guy. I came across him by accident as I was looking on FB for some photographs of in and around Prince Rupert, one of my favourite paces in Canada. I often think back to my times there loading product timber back to Europe & UK during the mid 80's on the FP Clipper.Renagade fishing charters.jpgCurtis & Salmon.jpgCurtis & Halibit.jpg

That is Curtis holding the Salmon.

As you say real Salmon do not eat pellets, We have several Salmon fish pens just offshore here near Glenarm. They had a wee accident early last month. Some how one of the pens got holed and the Salmon made a bid for freedom. No doubt some escaped but for a few days there was a Pod of Dolphins having a dam good feed. My next door neighbour kept me supplied in fresh Mackerel and Pollock most of the summer as he fishes just by the pens as obviously there must be a food source from what they feed the Salmon.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 27th November 2021 at 12:16 AM.

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Moss View Post
    Come to Tassie Lewis. The gourmet capital of OZ.
    Lots of lovely niche producers of fine wines, whisky, gin and of course cheeses and other yummy things like salmon etc.
    They have even put up signs now to direct tourists to all the right places to sample our lovely fare.
    To quote an old tourist ad "where the hell are you?" LOL closest I could find!

UNESCO names Tasmania's Launceston a City of Gastronomy. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-...nomy/100611904
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

12. Likes Victoria Moss, Lewis McColl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of the Salmon here in Oz is farmed.
    Though we do on the rare occasion get some Pacific Salmon that is fresh, does not stay in the shops for long even at the price they ask for it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast