Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: True

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Re: True

Well Thomas something we actually agree on , Cabbage water an pepper love it. My dear old Granda Lewis, would boil a cabbage to death , drink the water heavily peppered. For some strange reason he called Gippo, I do not know why and cannot find any complementary explanation as to the word. One big problem with Granda and cabbage water was he was stone deaf and thought everyone else was !!! he would usually follow up with an OH Boy!!! and shuffle off.

2. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

n case you were wondering................“ONE IS NEVER TO OLD TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW!”

Manure... An interesting fact.

Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything for export had to be transported by ship. It was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this "volatile" cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) ,…………. “So it’s really not a swear word”

which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I

I had always thought it was a golfing term.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Well Thomas something we actually agree on , Cabbage water an pepper love it. My dear old Granda Lewis, would boil a cabbage to death , drink the water heavily peppered. For some strange reason he called Gippo, I do not know why and cannot find any complementary explanation as to the word. One big problem with Granda and cabbage water was he was stone deaf and thought everyone else was !!! he would usually follow up with an OH Boy!!! and shuffle off.

Problem with many is that they boil the cabbage and chuck out the water which holds all the goodness.
    I never boil it, shred it into a pot with a nob of butter and some extra virgin olive oil.
    Lid on and on the lowest gas possible, stir until soft to your taste.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We all children had to drink the cabbage water when young. the girls were not too keen on it but when mother said drink it you did. Den

Lewis McColl Guest

Spinach is good for you , ask Popeye. water cress are super foods.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Cabbage water an pepper love it. My dear old Granda Lewis, would boil a cabbage to death , drink the water heavily peppered. For some strange reason he called Gippo,

Middle East: malaria, sandfly fever, 'gippo tummy'.

“gippo”, [gravy] (context British military slang English)

Gravy? Jippo was meat-juice (especially bacon-fat or gravy) and occasionally butter. As nautical slang in 1870, jipper denoted gravy ; bread and jipper, bread and dripping ; and jipper as verb, to baste a bird or a joint of meat. In London and the Isle of Wight, in 1902, it could mean the juice or syrup of a pie, a pudding.

7. Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to Cappy it was Spinach that caused Mary to end up with a wooden leg.
    She though she was as strong as Pop Eye when she tried to pull the cork out of a bottle for cappy, fell over and that was that.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes cappy, Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As my wife has some kidney problems so we have a lot of cabbage, brussel sprouts and leeks, never throw away any water that veges have been boiled in, keep it for soup. She worked with a woman who said that when she bought a roast, after the dinner she threw what was left over out, crazy waste.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

11. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz, cappy liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Nothing like a bit of Cawl, Des.

Keith.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went to the local Gun shop to get a Colt 9mm handgun for home/personal protection.

When I was ready to pay for the pistol and ammo, the cashier said, "Strip down, facing me." Making a mental note to complain to the government about gun control wackos running amok, I did just as she had instructed.

When the hysterical shrieking and alarms finally subsided, I found out she was referring to how I should place my credit card in the card reader!

As a senior citizen, I do not get flustered often, but this time it took me a while to get my pants back on.

I've been asked to shop elsewhere in the future.

They need to make their instructions to seniors a little more clear.

I still don't think I looked that bad!

I just need to wear underwear more often.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    I went to the local Gun shop to get a Colt 9mm handgun for home/personal protection.

When I was ready to pay for the pistol and ammo, the cashier said, "Strip down, facing me." Making a mental note to complain to the government about gun control wackos running amok, I did just as she had instructed.

When the hysterical shrieking and alarms finally subsided, I found out she was referring to how I should place my credit card in the card reader!

As a senior citizen, I do not get flustered often, but this time it took me a while to get my pants back on.

I've been asked to shop elsewhere in the future.

They need to make their instructions to seniors a little more clear.

I still don't think I looked that bad!

I just need to wear underwear more often.
    Did you not explain you had gone commando!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast