What function did the appendix have at one time. ? JS
    To get clarification of a subject raised in chapter xx page yy

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Type of quiz

The appendix the bit we carry around with us , and is of no further use. I used to know what purpose it served at one time but have really forgot. Thought someone might remember , Not the appendix of a book. Cappy getting on in years might have remembered, unless he used his for an ash tray when he smoked his expensive cigars. Anyone who has had appendicitis and had removed should know, I’ve still got mine. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th April 2021 at 10:15 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Why are Apartments also called Flats?
    Why do people who drop something from above , shout look out, surely they should shout look in?
    or look up?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well john had mine out at 13 years of age ....it was a bit of pain to say the least ....i think it was something to due with seeds from apples or something getting lodged ....perhaps it was something to do with seed disposal unit .....but it was not a happy time .....i always tie it up with while i was recovering .....i walked down to the beach 2 mins from where i lived .....isadly found the body of a young boy whom had drowned a couple of days earlier while swimming while a bit of a sea was running ..he was lying just above the tide line partly under a overhanging small rock ....seeing a man and womean in the distance ...i went over and told them .....he said your having me on but she said you better go and look ....he looked then said to her wait while he ran off looking for a phone box.....and shortly the local copper arrived ...a sad time .....it was seven and sixpence for finding a body in them days from the sea .......a couple of mercenary mates wanted to go down to the police station to collect .....looking back i am pleased i didnt go down there .......funny i still remember the boys name after 67 years ....later years i was introduce to a guy ...with the same surname and surely enough it was the same family.....all part of lifes rich pattern i suppose

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #12
    good afternoon, your question about the reason for the human body appendix, it was believed it was a appendage with or for no reason, that was always my belief until later on in my life.
    but i have just checked out the latest thinking on the subject and the academics would say that the said appendage is for a reservoir for the benificial gut bacteria, i think personally that sounds just like they have not got a answer.
    but my belief lies in the history of the human race,and this is where there is a part in the DNA of the humans which cannot be explained, again the academics call it the unexplained x ,
    but others insist it is where the humans cross bred with the neanderthals, i believe that the difference in the DNA is because of other reasons.
    tom

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tom if you want to confound someone ask them what is DNA. Then tell them it stands for deoxribonucleic acid. Which exists in all living organisms and can survive thousands of years in their remains after death. It carries all the information a cell needs to make the proteins in order to function . Me I’m going to look for that spring of eternal life they found in that movie King Solomon’s Mines. Think I had better start looking quick or I might lose my appendix like Cappy, they reckon he’s never been the same since. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #16
    i fear your request of asking some of the people i know the question, what is DNA they may after all of this covid scare think that im talking about something called DANGEROUS NERVOUSAS ALLERGEOUSES and take fright and run off in belief that another outbreak from a chinese chop suey house has started,
    on a more serious note, just had a telephone from my old mate, re-telling me how many ex-crew we have lost over the thirty something years ive sailed on and off with him,
    so like you im getting out in the morning looking for the elixir of eternal life.
    tom

10. Likes j.sabourn, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

The waters from the river Bush are the source , Uisce beatha

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=j.sabourn;374044]The appendix the bit we carry around with us , , Not the appendix of a book.

Yup I did know what you meant, alas a humour flop! not the first and not the last

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    The appendix the bit we carry around with us , and is of no further use. I used to know what purpose it served at one time but have really forgot. Thought someone might remember , Not the appendix of a book. Cappy getting on in years might have remembered, unless he used his for an ash tray when he smoked his expensive cigars. Anyone who has had appendicitis and had removed should know, I’ve still got mine. JS
    Like mine that Burst at Sea thank goodness not far out from Southampton, managed to keep me stable till reaching Port then rushed to Military Hospital in So'ton and operated on .
    I was lucky to survive that one too!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

16. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast