Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: New Wonder Drug

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Wonder Drug

Ivan, as you say the S Koreans have discipline as do the Japanese. They also have another attribute , respect. I remember when I was standing by the construction of BP's product tanker the British Endeavour. After the naming ceremony we were taken by coach up to the mountains to a beautiful hotel for a weekend. The president of BP shipping was in the lead Limo sitting alongside the President of Hyundai heavy Industries. As we approached traffic lights we never hit a red light as we passed by people waved or bowed , police men saluted , First time I ever felt like a Royal in my life. Not saying this happens for every ship naming ceremony but BP had just signed another multi million pound deal for the construction of 25 more new vessels. We were told to be dressed in full blues for pre dinner cocktails and listen to the bullshit from BP office staff who were out for a jolly. The only thing that let the Koreans down was, as we were called to dinner as we entered the banquet suite a small group of musicians started to play the theme music from the movie Titanic. Not really what you want to hear just before taking a ship away on her maiden voyage lol. It was a really enjoyable evening , they had a Korean traditional dance group performing along with other entertainment, speeches back and forth. There was certainly no shortage of alcohol and the party continued into the night. But as usual as in any group there is always one tit who does not know when he has had enough. Thankfully it was not a member of the ships crew but some jumped up office boy from BP head office. He wanted to know why we were there as we were only sea staff. He was very sheepish at breakfast. Not sure if it was anything to do with the fat lip and a shinner he was sporting. I assume he must have stumbled as he was being assisted back to his room. These far east countries are leading the world because of there discipline , work ethic and they make very good products. I also did 18 months in Shanghai on new builds. I found the Chinese to be arrogant. As regards quality control compared to Korea or Japan at that time they were well behind. The Chinese powers that be still treat there own like Coolies. I think China will destroy itself from within. If the current regime ruling China lose there control there will be another major revolution. I have never seen so much wealth alongside so much poverty.

2. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I enjoyed my times in S.Korea in the 80's (on business), good people to do business with, no bullsh*t. Did you get chance to visit the DMZ, there was a beautiful restaurant right next to the barbedwire/chainlink fence, but alas my attention was mostly on a dinner companion, a beautiful female concert pianist who quizzed me about my times at sea and subsequent travels.

Also found doing business with the Japanese very honest, but very very hard, very prolonged, personalities important, and face to face essential, but once the agreement was signed, the saki flowed. Doubt you could do business with the Japanese unless you visited them, so you have to make sure your profit margins are good.

4. Thanks Lewis McColl thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think most of these far East countries still have a very strong family connection. While i was in Lombok a few years ago, lined up on the beach at night after the days fishing were their boats, outboard motors still attached to most of them, i asked the local waiter if they had problems with theft, he said no problems, they would go straight to jail, but more importantly the family would be in disgrace, so to shame the family would keep a lot on the straight and narrow. Something we have lost in the West for many i suspect, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, similar in Bali, very little crime as there is no where to go.
    Lombok, beautiful island, riven just about every road on it.
    Yes the locals are very honest, again no where to run to if you are in trouble.

But as to Japan and Korea not being so badly effected, they have on another atribute, most wear masks when out side so that greatly reduces the risk of contracting the virus.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes Keith Tindell, Ivan Cloherty liked this post
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17